McCoy Tyner-Extensions: cover-advisory-message

WARNING: IT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN TO COPY OR REPORDUCE THIS RECORDINGH IN ANY MANNER OR FORM

thats what it says at the bottom: W. T. F???????? why is bluenote tripping on this?? is this this only period BN lp that had this, or is this message on numourous issues-- just to be clear im looking @ ...division of United artists issue with vangelder stampers

CDs today have:

antipiracy.jpg

Warning: The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000.

Why is this any different?

I just had a quick bead and it's on Hutcherson at Montreux and Byrd's "Steppin' into tomorrow". Also "Sophisticated Lou"; "Sassy soul strut"; and "Sweet lou"; Grant Green's Lighthouse job etc etc.

I haven't seen any with a BST number, only BNLA numbers. I reckon it dates from when UA fully absorbed Liberty.

MG

Ludicrous, when compared with what they don't do with murderers and rapists. But not likely to be enforced. Reminds me of my time in South Africa (1972-76) when there was a 5 year rap for possession of one J.

Chewy, that note on the LP coincides with the early days of cassette tapes, developed by Philips in the Netherlands. That was almost the only way in which most people could copy vinyl in the early 70s. I never got into it, because the cassettes sounded so poor back then, even with Dolby. I did have an open-reel tape deck, which sounded pretty good at 3 3/4 ips, which was for me the only economical speed. (The deck ran at 7 1/2 ips too, but it used too much tape at that speed.) But none of my friends and I made many open-reel tape copies. The tapes, even when new, suffered a lot from dropouts caused by loose iron oxide - even the top brands like B.A.S.F. were prone to do that.

I did my Ph.D. in Math in Adelaide, Australia, with a South African supervisor. When it was done, he offered a few of us jobs in the Math Department at Wits University in Jo'burg - he was going back there to be the Department Head. University jobs for Ph.D.s have always been hard to come by, and he and his family were close friends, so it was a fairly easy decision to make, though I was a bit concerned about it beforehand.

No, I didn't like the Afrikaner Government, and I sure am not a racist, but I loved my 5 years there. The people were the friendliest I have encountered anywhere (Americans a close second) and the jazz scene was, to my surprise, awesome. We defied the Suid-Afrikaans Polisie and played with several great black guys from Soweto. Never did get arrested, for that or the Js.

I'm glad I went there. Before the job offer, I would never have considered going there, and I would have continued to be as ignorant about the place as most people in the U.K. still are. All they know is that, hooray, everyone now gets the vote. That's great, but there's a little more to it than that. As just a quick example: pleasant, safe suburbs are now virtually unpoliced war zones.

The sad reality is that the U.K. Government (especially the notorious Harold Wilson administration) has fucked up both South Africa and Rhodesia, and they are now terrible places to live. Talk to people who live in those countries, or have recently left; I do regularly. I keep getting them in telephone call centers, and the accent makes them easy to spot. We usually get off the subject of the call and have a long chat.

WARNING: IT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN TO COPY OR REPORDUCE THIS RECORDINGH IN ANY MANNER OR FORM

thats what it says at the bottom: W. T. F???????? why is bluenote tripping on this?? is this this only period BN lp that had this, or is this message on numourous issues-- just to be clear im looking @ ...division of United artists issue with vangelder stampers

I have the same issue that you do and it is indeed there. Consider that this was the era in which home taping started to take off.