Which Board Member turned you on to Which Artist?

Whew -- Dozens and dozens. I'm constantly being introduced to new and old music alike here. Didn't have more than a fist-full of Blue Notes before joining organissimo, now I have an entire bookshelf full of music discovered since plopping down here. So, thanks everyone! (I think)

To name a few, I guess:

Bev & Seeline -- South American influenced music. Artists like Myriam Alter, Dino Saluzzi.

Chuck -- A wide swath of artists from Von Freeman to Steve Swell to Clarence Williams.

Lon -- The Jazz Oracle label.

Allen -- Wonderful insights into the history of jazz and blues, with a seemingly endless well of music and musicians that spring from all that. And Roswell Rudd.

Brownie, Big Beat Steve, MG, BillF, Kenny Weir, King ubu, carnivore, mikelz777, It Should Be You, Jeffcrom, Larry Kart, paul secor, Bright Moments, Tom Storer, EKE BBB, Allen, Chuck, Bev, Lon, and more have all provided wonderful suggestions for early jazz that I've been discovering and listening to quite often these days.

Bill Barton -- some of those slightly off-the-beaten-path artists (at least for me) such as the Mark Masters Ensemble and Royal Hartigan.

And that's really just the tip of the iceberg. I don't think there's a day that goes by that I don't see something here that sparks my interest.

1) Dan - got me into Baby Face Willette - though it's the real early stuff and I can't find anything else like it in his ouevre (and Dan - sorry I haven't answered your last message - running ragged this week, will reply this weekend) -

2) Ron S - got me into necrophilia, bestiality, and beating up tourists. But I guess that's a little off-topic.

Edited by AllenLowe

I would say that reading the forum had push me to listen to more music, totally unknown for me. So it's hard to name specific members or artists, considering that I was, and still am, an illiterate, musically speaking. For sure all the fuss about 'organ' lead me to jazz organists, a category I never considered before. From 'organ' to soul jazz and beyond, I explored something new.

Threads like 'what vinyl are...' or 'what classical music...' for me are the starting points of my musical travels. So thanks to everybody. :)

And yes, you guys have cost me a lot of money, like John said above.

I've had my experience stretched significantly by...

Bill Fenohr - Jack Wilson, The Mastersounds

Pete Bainbridge (Pete B, aka Woodymaggie) - Lou Levy, The Lighthouse All-Stars

Phil Grenadier - Urbie Green

Stefan Wood - Frank Stozier

Shawn - Junior Mance, Jerome Richardson

Joe Carter - Sambalanço Trio, Tamba Trio, Zimbo Trio...

Big Al - Herbie Hancock, Cal Tjader

Jazzbo / Lon - Where do I start... Carmen McRae, Joe Williams, Eddie Costa, Barney Wilen, numerous piano players, and a great number of pre-bop jazz artists... seriously, too many to list. Indirectly, this also led me to go back and explore Ragtime, which has been rewarding.

Dan Gould - Al Grey, The Three Sounds, and perhaps most importantly, the music from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. :huh:

Chuck introduced me to AEC, Von Freeman, Vandermark, Hal Russell and many others! Thanks Uncle Chuck!

Lon also introduced me to Barney Wilen!

excited.gif

Yeah same here. thumbs_up.gif I don't recall who turned me on to the wonderful world of Henry Threadgill and AIR, but thank you whoever and wherever you are.

Oh and one more: thank you Soul Stream for turning me on to John Patton!

Edited by Holy Ghost

I've been introduced to a lot of great music by many Board members. I know I'm leaving out a lot, but just a sampling from a quick perusal of my collection:

Jeff Crompton - Percy Humphrey; New Orleans Rhythm Kings; Young Tuxedo Brass Band; Peter Bocage

Jim Sangrey - Bill Perkins; Don Menza - not an introduction - I heard Don Menza play live when I was 17, but Jim turned me on to Jack Rabbit - great playing by Mr. Menza.

Larry Kart - Claude Hopkins' big band

jostber - Group Doueh

And last (hardly least), Chuck - From his productions and label: Von Freeman; Eddie Johnson; Roscoe Mitchell (apart from the AEC); Fred Anderson; Hal Russell (I'm getting there. :) )

Baby Face Willette

Cyrus St. Clair

Mel Powell

In the classical realm - any number of composers, conductors, performers - including: Jascha Horenstein, Artur Schnabel, Ivry Gitlis, Franz Berwald, to name just a very few. Chuck has helped me find an entry into this musical world.

Any number of fine recordings - just a few I can remember:

Billy Eckstine: Everything I Have is Yours w. The Metronome All Stars, including Pres & Warne Marsh

Lee Konitz: Strings for Holiday

Greg Waits: ... and into the light

Arvell Shaw and the Swing Legacy All Stars

Apologies for all the people I've left out.

I haven't been around here as long as a lot of people, so there was an enormous amount of content already here by the time I discovered this place a year ago. So for me, it's more a matter of this forum itself introducing me to certain artists. I had very little idea of who Baby Face Willette was a year ago, for example.

More specifically, Allen Lowe made me take a closer look at Dave Schildkraut and Arnold Ross. And Paul and Chuck have been very helpful in terms of specific recordings to check out.

Like others have said, you guys have made a big dent in my wallet. It's been great.

Holy Crap. With my memory, I have no idea. Some are obvious, like...

Chuck Nessa: Roscoe Mitchell

machine gun: Peter Brotzmann

Jim Sangrey: Quartet Out

...but then others I should remember, I can't. Like Tete Montoliu; I remember it was one of our European posters, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name. Since my 'jazz explosion' started only a few months before I found the Blue Note bulletin board, probably a lot of them, though.

I can't help remembering some poster strongly admonishing machinegun about his disgusting violent name though... :g

Edited by Jazzmoose