Which Board Member turned you on to Which Artist?

It could be direct (e.g. i recomment this artist) or indirect (e.g. i read that so and so was listening to so and so on the what are you listening to now thread so i checked so and so out!)

I'll start:

Jazzbo (Lon) turned me on to Steve Lacy (the straight horn of steve lacy to be precise!). It was terrific and started my steve lacy journey - a wonderful journey indeed!!!

thanks Lon!

who is next?

Edited by Bright Moments

Jim Sangrey mentioned Ibrahim Electric somewhere and I checked it out and loved it- thanks, Jim!

Clem raved about Debashish Bhattacharya(sp?) on a thread and he happened to be playing in NYC about a week later, so I went to see him and loved that also. There's probably many more if I start looking through my music collection.

Given how much time was spent collecting before I went online, I can't imagine that outside of some recordings there are any artists I didn't "know" previously. The closest might be Allen Lowe's Percy France recording but its really not true to say that I wasn't aware of him before Allen starting talking that recording up.

Given how much time was spent collecting before I went online, I can't imagine that outside of some recordings there are any artists I didn't "know" previously. The closest might be Allen Lowe's Percy France recording but its really not true to say that I wasn't aware of him before Allen starting talking that recording up.

I have to give Allen his props for turning me on to early Peter Green Fleetwood Mac and Pat Hare and the old Sun records blues releases.

I can't remember who it was here but whom ever you are who turned me onto Walt Dickerson thank you!

yes the playing in the best in the origianal band, but muiscally my favorite is the bob welsh era

FLEETWOOD MAC

Chewy,

It's WELCH...like the grape juice. I agree. His songs, Hypotized, Church, Sentimental Lady and Bermuda Triangle are first rate. Fleetwood Mac has always been blessed with excellent guitar players. Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Danny Kirwin, Welch and Lindsay Buckingham. In its own way, not unlike The Yardbirds.

Someone - I think it was Dan Gould - put Shelley Carroll in a BFT. Or maybe it was Jim Sangrey.

Jim turned me on to the Treniers - though I'd heard them way back, I hadn't paid attention.

Also Ursula Rucker. Also he persuaded me to go for the Roy Eldridge Mosaic box.

Hot Ptah got me interested in Jay McShann - though I haven't pursued him as much as I should.

I suspect it was Jazzbo who got me interested in Red Garland - another one I'd known about forever but never pursued.

I forget who it was who got me interested in Budd Johnson, but it feels like Jim again.

Chris Albrtson got me interested in Jim Robinson and other New Orleans players.

EVERYBODY got me into Organissimo and Root Doctor :)

MG

I've long known the work of all the major jazz artists. In fact we talk more here about minor artists and releases, maybe because we already just know it regarding the majors (uh, or maybe because we overrate some minor artists!). I guess the one credit goes to former GHF (thanks, Dan!) whose constant advocacy persuaded me, once I had worked through every other regular Blue Note artist (so, yeah,maybe it was the Blue Note letch more than anything, but even so...) to overcome my suspicion of Gene Harris and take the plunge. So I'm the proud owner of a clutch of Three Sounds mini-LPs and I must confess that I do like them. Bearing in mind I'm usually more at the Brotzmann end of things that's not a bad result.

Edited by David Ayers

Shawn has been most recently responsible for getting me interested in Porcupine Tree and Opeth. I have to thank Jim R for getting me straight in so many ways with Brazilian artists of many types. And Dan Gould has steered me towards many great recordings.

I guess the one credit goes to former GHF (thanks, Dan!) whose constant advocacy persuaded me, once I had worked through every other regular Blue Note artist (so, yeah,maybe it was the Blue Note letch more than anything, but even so...) to overcome my suspicion of Gene Harris and take the plunge. So I'm the proud owner of a clutch of Three Sounds mini-LPs and I must confess that I do like them. Bearing in mind I'm usually more at the Brotzmann end of things that's not a bad result.

YEAH! :party: :party: :party:

:crazy:

If it's jazz and I like it, there's a pretty good chance that either Jazzbo, Sangrey or Joe Milazzo played it for me originally. To them I am eternally grateful. smile.gif

I did bring my odd fascination with Jerome Richardson to the party though...along with the undying passion I have for Johnny Griffin's music.

...in addition, lots of great recs from JimR and 7/4 on the guitar-player front, thanks to Chuck for some occasional classical recommendations...

How can you not love this place?

Edited by Shawn