Favorite Toys?

Oh my god those early "video games" from Mattel! I had the original football and basketball games, still have the latter.

It's funny, the game turned up in the basement one day and I showed it to my 10-year-old son/Gameboy addict, expecting him to start laughing. Instead he started playing it ... took me a couple hours to get the thing back from him.

Back around 1970-74 these Aurora and Tyco HO slot cars were it!!! A few guys in the neighborhood had decent tracks and we'd all pour into their places in the afternoon with our various cars and then tinker around with the silver 'brushes', 'pick-ups', magnets, etc.. I still have several of my original cars silmilar to the black, blue and red/white stripped ones in the photo, as well as a bottle of the red 'special racing oil'. Just don't have anyone to play with! :(

startingline.jpg

AuroraAFXChassis.gif

That's what the kids are for, right? Last Thursday at Thanksgiving my brother, my nephew & I all broke out the old track & got the cars (not used in nearly 20 years) up to speed after a few minutes. It was entirely at the instigation of my nephew.

True.....I suppose I should hunt down some old track on eBay and one of those old transformer jobbers. Hey, you got any spare oversize sponge tires in your kit?.....mine have lost their spongyness (sp?). :g

eaglehnc.jpg

Hell yes!!!! :tup

Jim, I love this game.

I've seen a lot of variations on this over the years, but this particular brand/version was sweet. With those metal blades, you could really make your point if some kid tried to reach onto the board and pick up the puck with his hand! :g Not only that, but there were springs in each player's mechanism that would allow you to make the players spin back and forth at the speed of a hummingbird's wings (good for distracting/frustrating your opponent if they were trying to hold the puck too long). Ahhh, I miss that game... flipping the puck around behind the net, catching it with your left wing, and in one motion, sliding a sweet no-look pass in to a hard-charging center forward who would slam it into the corner of the net before the poor kid playing defense knew what the hell had happened. He might even scuff some of the skin off his left thumb in a desperate attempt to stop the shot (thanks to the hard plastic handle on the goalkeeper's control rod). :lol:

Damn, nowadays they probably have tournaments (aired on ESPN 2 on Sunday afternoons between the Poker and Scrabble tournaments) with big bucks involved...

Colorform Aliens...

OH. MY. GOD! I had ALL of these and I haven't seen them in more than 30 years!

Wow, this picture brings back some memories....

We must be about the same age RDK, because I had almost every toy you've posted.

Where did you find this picture?!

Edited by The Mule

Ah, yes, the fond, fond memories this one conjures up...

FP2205-EB248938595-B.jpg

Does anyone know if the platters for these turn up in any of the more complete discographies???

does anyone know how expensive the new mosaic plastic set is? :g

Those who received replacement copies of Record 3 from the Miles "Blackhawk" set will probably agree that it sounded a bit like that blue one.

Mattel-Football2.jpg

I have one of these, and it still works!

I'm a big fan of Legos. I still have mine, and I still keep the space Legos in a separate box.

The toys I wish I still had: I had a ton of Transformers and Star Wars toys, and I was the type of kid who kept them in great condition. While they were mine they still had all their loose parts, stickers, etc. In my teens I thought I had outgrown toys, and gave them to my younger cousins who promptly destroyed them all. Wow, the regret I feel today.

Noj, you're not the only one who regrets giving toys to a younger cousin. I had Airfix models I had made and my dad had sprayed. When I felt too old to dust and look after these things, I gave them (along with a few dozen Matchbox and Corgi cars) away. The kid then used them as missiles, bombs etc. Awful.

Anyone remember TCRor Stretch Armstrong?

The TCR was atype of Scalextric where the cars could overtake and stuff. HIghly unreliable and unpredictable but the amount of tinkering you could do to these machines was amazing, just to get them to go faster!

Stretch Armstrong was this 10" or so musclebound LA type with carotene complexion who was filled with, well, it was like tree-sap.

You could pull his arms, leg and torso to unfeasibly X-men type proportions and then he'd ebb back into 'normal' human dimensions.

Oh to be 10.

Back around 1970-74 these Aurora and Tyco HO slot cars were it!!! A few guys in the neighborhood had decent tracks and we'd all pour into their places in the afternoon with our various cars and then tinker around with the silver 'brushes', 'pick-ups', magnets, etc..  I still have several of my original cars silmilar to the black, blue and red/white stripped ones in the photo, as well as a bottle of the red 'special racing oil'.  Just don't have anyone to play with!  :(

I was into these and electric trains, matchbox cars, plastic airplane models.......then came the stamps collection....then I discovered Electric Guitar!

l6s.jpg

eek2.gif

Edited by 7/4

Colorform Aliens...

OH. MY. GOD! I had ALL of these and I haven't seen them in more than 30 years!

Wow, this picture brings back some memories....

We must be about the same age RDK, because I had almost every toy you've posted.

Where did you find this picture?!

I probably grabbed that particular pic off of Ebay, but I have 6 of the 7 figures in my collection at home. I'm 41, these came out around 1969-1971, so I'd guess that would date you as well. ;) You're in L.A., right? Drop me a line sometime if you'd like to swing buy and see 'em.

I was into these and electric trains, matchbox cars, plastic airplane models.......then came the stamps collection....then I discovered Electric Guitar!

Me too! :D

If I had the money, I'd buy guitars like I used to buy Hot Wheels. :D

Speaking of Hot Wheels, my 2 year old son already has over 150 of them. I can't stop buying them for him. ^_^