Hank Jones RIP May 16, 2010

Hardbopjazz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Public Editor of the New York Times devoted his column today to the blog post about Hank's final residence:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/opinion/30pubed.html

I found that whole blog thing very creepy. When I die, I don't want to have some stranger walking into my home and reporting on me based on what he might think he sees. I'm not famous, so I won't have to worry about that. What I'm saying is that the public doesn't have a right to know everything - or even anything, in most cases.

The Public Editor of the New York Times devoted his column today to the blog post about Hank's final residence:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/opinion/30pubed.html

This line stood out for me...

“If Corey had known or had reason to suspect family members would object to this, he probably wouldn’t have done it,”

Probably. That's great. Good man. <_<

this whole thing is strange, and I don't know if there was anything wrong with reporting the story, as it was meant to be a commentary on the whole weirdness of post-death occurrences. It is unfortunate, since Hank was such a scandal-free gentleman (the only times I met him were a few occasions when I was hanging out with Haig in the '70s - and interestingly enough Jones was one of the few old associates that Haig spent any time with and that Haig actually spoke of with great affection - which probably had to do with not only Jones' great personal decency, but also with the fact that he was one of the few to insistently give credit to Haig as one of his prime influences in the post-bop years).

But somehow the post-death squabbling, unseemly as it may appear, has a strange and au courant appropriateness.

Edited by AllenLowe