How Would You Describe Your Music Collecting

Dan Gould

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...] a recording these days costs the same as an inexpensive meal in a standard cafe [...]

Given the choice between a Mosaic and lunch at the Maze I'd go for the latter. In fact I recently was given exactly that choice and that's exactly what I did. Uh, I'm sure your cafe is nice too. ;)

Are you sure you are qualified to even read this board - let alone contribute? :P

[...] a recording these days costs the same as an inexpensive meal in a standard cafe [...]

Given the choice between a Mosaic and lunch at the Maze I'd go for the latter. In fact I recently was given exactly that choice and that's exactly what I did. Uh, I'm sure your cafe is nice too. ;)

Are you sure you are qualified to even read this board - let alone contribute? :P

Heh heh. See you on the 'what haute cuisine are you eating right now' thread, matey! And I'll be putting my Mosaics on ebay to pay for all the gourmandise [sp?] -- !

I have about 2,000 Cds and find that i've listened to some thongs only once so I've cut down and try to go back and listen to my collection more. There's just not enough time to listen to everything. Still buy occasionally.

I am somewhere in between "I'm moving away from, or have moved away from, mad collecting" and "Still buying, still mostly jazz, but I never got into the whole "gotta have it all attitude" so I had to check the "Seven tries" box. :D

Overall, my wildest REGULAR buying days are over (space is getting more and more of a problem but I find it hard to part with any substantial quantities of discs) but I still do get into a buying spree (not only jazz but also other interests I've been collecting all the time, e.g. older R&B or country music styles) every now and then.

So my answer really depends on when exactly you'd ask me that question but most likely it is "moving away from mad collecting" in the sense that I NO LONGER am the completist I once was with certain musical styles and artists. ;)

OTOH, the way things today are in the world, wouldn't there be much worse investments to protect your savings than record collections so maybe it might be smart to think that decision over once again?? :crazy:

OTOH, the way things today are in the world, wouldn't there be much worse investments to protect your savings than record collections so maybe it might be smart to think that decision over once again?? :crazy:

Well I'm assumerating that you're joking about that! Collectable LPs will retain value, I believe, but with very few exceptions CDs are almost worthless.

Uh - I guess I'm not sure what the 'crazy' face means so I'm not sure what you meant...

Well I'm assumerating that you're joking about that! Collectable LPs will retain value, I believe, but with very few exceptions CDs are almost worthless.

Uh - I guess I'm not sure what the 'crazy' face means so I'm not sure what you meant...

Well, actually I was talking about collectible vinyl, of course. And the crazy face meant you'd still have to be a bit crazy to go that route all the way. So - yes, it's all a bit tongue in cheek, but today's other "investment" options aren't that sane either, after all. ;))

I am somewhere in between "I'm moving away from, or have moved away from, mad collecting" and "Still buying, still mostly jazz, but I never got into the whole "gotta have it all attitude" so I had to check the "Seven tries" box. :D

This is why I made it a multiple choice option poll. These aren't hard and fast, totally exclusive, gotta fit you to a "t" categories.

I used to spend every cent left over on CDs, but simply can't afford it anymore. I'm interested in several types of music, and there is too much out that's interesting. More than 6.000 CDs is enough listening fodder for some time to come ...

A lot of the new jazz releases fail to really catch my attention, and I have to reserve my limited budget to music related to my book project. 

but with very few exceptions CDs are almost worthless.

Why you would think that. Some bring high value in the aftermarket.

Like I say, a few keep their value or even appreciate a little, but I think many are worth little, especially where there is a newer version. I should think that the overall value of most collections has dropped significantly, especially bearing in mind that selling has costs which would eat away further at the value.

but with very few exceptions CDs are almost worthless.

Why you would think that. Some bring high value in the aftermarket.

Like I say, a few keep their value or even appreciate a little, but I think many are worth little, especially where there is a newer version. I should think that the overall value of most collections has dropped significantly, especially bearing in mind that selling has costs which would eat away further at the value.

There are some cds that only seem to be worth money on the Hoffman board! :)