30 new RVGs!!

scottb

I just looked up the upcoming releases on Jazzmatazz because I couldn't remember all of the upcoming RVGs for 2004.

Did I miss something recently? There are 30, THIRTY!! scheduled to come out by summer. I didn't remember there being this many in the works. I am totally pumped as I have very few of these titles.

Duke Pearson, Curtis Fuller, Dexter Gordon lots of exciting titles!!

The current list from Jazzmatazz

I have a feeling this won't happen. Too many titles by the same artists.

February 2004:

- Donald Byrd - At The Half Note Cafe Vols. 1& 2 - 2 CDs

- Grant Green - Goin' West

- Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie

- Jackie McLean - Right Now

- Duke Pearson - Sweet Honey Bee

- Jimmy Smith - Rockin' the Boat

March 2004:

- Donald Byrd - Free Form

- Sonny Rollins - Newk's Time

- Horace Silver - The Cape Verdean Blues

- Jimmy Smith - Prayer Meeting

- Cecil Taylor - Conquistador

- Stanley Turrentine - Never Let Me Go

Spring/Summer 2004:

- Art Blakey - Buhaina's Delight

- Art Blakey - Free for All

- Dexter Gordon - Dexter Calling

- Dexter Gordon - Doin' Allright

- Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up

- Joe Henderson - Inner Urge

- Joe Henderson - In 'N Out

- Andrew Hill - Black Fire

- Freddie Hubbard - Blue Spirits

- Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point

- Freddie Hubbard - The Night of the Cookers, Vols. 1 & 2 - 2 CDs

- Jackie Mclean - Destination Out

- Jackie Mclean - Action

- Blue Mitchell - The Thing To Do

- Lee Morgan - The Sixth Sense

- Horace Silver - Serenade to a Soul Sister

- Jimmy Smith - Home Cookin'

- McCoy Tyner - Tender Moments

Edited by Claude

You be wrong about this. The domestic RVGs are new remasterings, and they usually kick JRVG ass.

First I heard that. ALL of them have been new remasterings? As far as kick ass, I recall the old BNBB RVG thread went on and on about which was better-- or no different at all. Don't care to start that going again.

In any case, wait and see- all these titles will eventually get released Stateside.

As far as kick ass, I recall the old BNBB RVG thread went on and on about which was better-- or no different at all. Don't care to start that going again.

In any case, wait and see- all these titles will eventually get released Stateside.

Sorry if you don't want my information. I'll go away and not bother you again.

As far as kick ass, I recall the old BNBB RVG thread went on and on about which was better-- or no different at all.  Don't care to start that going again. 

Sorry if you don't want my information. I'll go away and not bother you again.

Hey Chuck, nothing personal, just that that information is so at variance with what I thought was the case that I admit I remain a little doubtful.

As for RVG vs JRVG, that's a subject as split in opinion as Al Gore vs George W. It's about the music, anyway, as you always point out.

My initial point: tracking what has been released over the last year or two, and what is planned for release, it appears to me that BN is on a major U.S. re-release campaign that will match what Rudy did in Japan-- whatever remasterings are involved.

of course, chuck is correct in that rudy has done separate remasters for the domestic and japanese rvg reissue series. which sounds better is a matter of opinion, however. after performing numerous a/b comparisons, i find myself preferring the jrvgs in many cases, but that's just a matter of personal taste. now if we can only get rudy to engineer santana's a love supreme! Lol.gif

Edited by jazzshrink

I don't really have a dog in this fight (and I've never owned or even heard a JRVG before), but I seem to remember reading somewhere on these boards, that all of the future JRVG's (the one's with the bonus tracks and alternate takes), would be the same masters used for the U.S. RVG's (and vice versa). Now whether I read this from a reliable source (or not), I don't really know. But I know I've read this before, maybe even a couple different places (maybe here, and also on AAJ??).

(I own several TOCJ's, but I've never gotten on the JRVG bandwagon. Mostly because most of my TOCJ's were obtained several years ago, and since then I've been much less interested in paying the extra cost of getting Japanese issues of titles. That, and I dislike the mini-LP packaging format.)

Anyway, Chuck's definitely right that there have always been different masters for the JRVG's and U.S. RVG's (for the very same session). BUT, whether this will be true for future U.S. RVG titles, is still an open question.

Edit: For the record, I could generally care less about most remastering issues, RVG's vs. JRVG's, vs. TOCJ's, vs recent McMasters. I just want the music, and I want a decent remastering of it - even if it isn't the very best version (which is usually open to argument anyway). It's the music that matters to me - far more than the remastering.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I was told these latest US versions will use a master generated at the same remastering session as the Japanese versions. No idea if that means "identical". Blue Note decided that since Rudy had to get the tapes out of the vault for the Japanese remasters, he might as well use it for the US remasters while he was at it. BN US cherry picked the titles from the Japanese selections.

I was told these latest US versions will use a master generated at the same remastering session as the Japanese versions. No idea if that means "identical". Blue Note decided that since Rudy had to get the tapes out of the vault for the Japanese remasters, he might as well use it for the US remasters while he was at it. BN US cherry picked the titles from the Japanese selections.

Thanks Kevin, appreciate the info, and best regards... -- Rooster T.

Over the past 5 years I have A/B'd every JRVG Vs RVG through the June '03 JRVGs releases.

1)The domestic and Japanese masterings are different except for TOCJ 9361 - TOCJ 9371 which utilize the domestic masterings. The JRVG Completes require elaboration which time does not permit.

2)It is wholly subjective which mastering is preferable and can be argued both ways and in many cases on a title-by-title basis. All that anybody can really say with authority is that the masterings are different.

3)What is a more interesting question is why are the JRVG/RVG masterings quite different? For example, the JRVG and the RVG of Green Street are so different that if a person didn't know if would seem that they were done by 2 different masterers.

Thanks Kevin. That's what I had read somewhere or other about these reissues. Kevin, do you think (or maybe have the word from those in the know B) ) as to whether all the JRVGs will eventually find their way over here?

1)The domestic and Japanese masterings are different except for TOCJ 9361 - TOCJ 9371 which utilize the domestic masterings. The JRVG Completes require elaboration which time does not permit.

Grey, educate me here. Were the TOCJs Rudy masterings? Some of them? most of them? all of them? I thought they were done by Japanese engineers. I only have a few TOCJs, so am unable to check that.

I do talk to MC and RVG. I might know something

Chuck, I am quite interested in what you can tell us about this. First, has Rudy himself ventured an opinion/evaluation on the subject, i.e.as to whether he considers his RVGs superior tot he JRVGs?

Second, as an experienced record producer yourself, what do you not like about the JRVGs? and conversely, like about the RVGs? I have many of both and am generally pretty happy with most of them, so have no strong feelings one way or the other.