30 new RVGs!!

scottb

I do talk to MC and RVG. I might know something

Chuck, I am quite interested in what you can tell us about this. First, has Rudy himself ventured an opinion/evaluation on the subject, i.e.as to whether he considers his RVGs superior tot he JRVGs?

Second, as an experienced record producer yourself, what do you not like about the JRVGs? and conversely, like about the RVGs? I have many of both and am generally pretty happy with most of them, so have no strong feelings one way or the other.

As I've said, I don't have a dog in this fight (I neither own, nor have ever heard a JRVG before), but I'd be currious about your perspective on all this too, Chuck.

1)The domestic and Japanese masterings are different except for TOCJ 9361 - TOCJ 9371 which utilize the domestic masterings. The JRVG Completes require elaboration which time does not permit.

Grey, educate me here. Were the TOCJs Rudy masterings? Some of them? most of them? all of them? I thought they were done by Japanese engineers. I only have a few TOCJs, so am unable to check that.

All JRVGs are TOCJs but not all TOCJs are JRVGs. TOCJ is the Toshiba/EMI stock code. TOCJ means Toshiba/EMI Compact Jazz. One Board member will disagree with this meaning of TOCJ but it comes from a company document. When people refer to TOCJs they are not referring to JRVGs (even though JRVGs are TOCJs). They are referring to TOCJ 1501 - 1632 and 4001 - 4422 and some compilations which mostly, but not always, parallel the original Blue Note record numbers. They are only available in jewel case versions and are called the Blue Note Works Series. RVG had nothing to do with the mastering of these CDs. There are over 400 TOCJs.

JRVGs are TOCJs in the 9000 or 66000 series, are mastered by RVG and come in mini-LP sleeves except for the JRVG Completes which are in double CD jewel cases. They are not refered to as TOCJs. There are about 350 JRVGs released so far with another 40 coming through March '04.

While people compare JRVGs Vs RVGs, there is also another whole kettle of fish: JRVGs/RVGs Vs TOCJs.

I have A/B/C'd every JRVG Vs RVG Vs TOCJ. (I have too much time on my hands.)

Have I clarified or only confused?

For those who might not know.

A standard blue TOCJ 'OBI' strip....

What does 'OBI' stand for? Seriously, I don't know. I've always been too embarrassed to ask.

Additionally, what is the point of having the strip on the Japanese releases? The US RVGs don't have the strip.

Edited by wesbed

What does 'OBI' stand for? Seriously, I don't know. I've always been too embarrassed to ask.

Additionally, what is the point of having the strip on the Japanese releases? The US RVGs don't have the strip.

I'll take a stab at this one...

I believe obi is a Japanese word for the sash that goes around a kimono (robe). But please, someone tell me is this is incorrect.

As far as the purpose? That's pretty subjective. One cool thing it can offer is to have the barcode on the obi, and not on the artwork itself, like on the JRVG series of mini-lps.

Of course, some fans as well like to roll up an obi, and smoke them... ;) B)

I'll take a stab at this one...

I believe obi is a Japanese word for the sash that goes around a kimono (robe). But please, someone tell me is this is incorrect.

As far as the purpose? That's pretty subjective. One cool thing it can offer is to have the barcode on the obi, and not on the artwork itself, like on the JRVG series of mini-lps.

Of course, some fans as well like to roll up an obi, and smoke them... ;) B)

I always figured it was an acronym for "Outer Box Insert" or something as profane as that. I kinda like the kimono-sash idea. Much more alluring. Would it still work for the OBI on the domestic Conn.'s.? :huh::huh:

if i'm not misinformed, the inclusion of the jrvg "obi" comes from the fact that japanese reissue lps had a wrap-around "sash" or obi around them. the jrvg obi is, strictly speaking, not really an obi, but an "obi strip." some of the earlier japanese cd reissues of ojc titles came with a real obi that wrapped around the lp-facsimile cover. it appears that i also have too much spare time on my hands. ^_^

if i'm not misinformed...

Strictly speaking you are correct. This does become esoteric but for the sake of accuracy there is a difference between an OBI and an OBI Strip. All TOCJs and JRVGs have OBI Strips. The early JVC VICJ mini-LP Prestige releases had true OBIs. They then switched later releases to OBI Strips.

The purpose of an OBI and OBI Strip is to carry all of the information required for a Japanese consumer to make an informed purchase while maintaining the original integrity of the Album or CD which is usually in English. They also contain other retail information. However, even Japanese releases have OBIs.

I have 100s and 100s of duplicate TOCJ, JRVG, VICJ and other OBIs which the Japanese printer gave me. Would there be any market for these things? I don't know what to do with them.