Christmas Presents, Part 2

What's the Familial Style?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's a combination of the two in our house as there are about 25 family members in attendance. We usuall pass out the gifts and try to start with one person, then the next. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I like trying to slow it down a little, it's nice to see someones reaction to a gift you may have put much time into finding/buying rather than setting a record for how quickly they can be opened.

My family always went around the room, and each person got to open ONE present, and then show everyone what it was. Then the next person opens ONE item, and shows it around. And so on, repeating until all presents are open. (The “go around in a circle multiple times” method.)

But my WIFE'S family, however, is totally different -- and it drives me up a wall!!! (something I've never told my wife either, by the way).

ONE person is designated to open up ALL their presents, showing what they got after each present is opened (up to 10 or 15 total presents per person). Then the next person opens ALL of their presents (again, another 10 or 15 presents). Then the next person ALL of theirs, and so on.

SO, the last person to open their presents has to wait for like up to 30 minutes while everyone else opens theirs.

Maybe part of it is that it's different than what my family did. But part of it is that I just plain think it's annoying for the people at the end of the line. We're talking a minimum of 6 or 8 people (maybe up to 10 people), when spouses and other extended family are included.

But I always suffer silence. :ph34r:

We always went around the room, with each person opening one gift, showing everyone, and then moving on to the next person. I've always hated this, and unfortunately, my wife prefers to do things this way as well. :rolleyes: I'd much prefer to have everyone tear into everything at once. I mean, really, why should I give a rat's ass about what everyone else is getting? :P

My family was always about just tearing in, all at once. I grew up with 6 siblings, so having nine people open presents one after another would get pretty tedious pretty quick.

In fact, I had never experienced anything like that (one person opens, shows it around, then another, etc) until I met my wife. That's exactly what her family does and it takes FOREVER!!!!!! That drives me up the wall (opposite of Rooster) but I don't say anything about it.

Different strokes for different folks...