Consensual or not?

An Arab man has been sentenced to 18 months in prison on charges of “rape by deception” after an Israeli court found him guilty of tricking a Jewish woman into having consensual sex by posing as a Jewish bachelor wanting a serious relationship.

AFP - An Israeli court's jailing on a rape charge of an Arab man it ruled had duped a Jewish woman into consensual sex by lying about his ethnicity caused a stir on Wednesday.

The Jerusalem District Court "has gone too far," the liberal Haaretz daily quoted Elkana Laist of the public defender's office as saying.

The court sentenced Sabbar Kashur, 30, to 18 months behind bars on Monday, after finding that he had had sex with the woman by posing as a Jewish bachelor interested in a long-term relationship.

Full article:

Consensual sex with Jewish woman lands Israeli Arab in jail

I don't know what to think - would you consider this to be rape?

I didn't put this in the political section, so let's try to not get too political here. I think it's something that could have happened anywhere.

I once saw a woman say on Crossfire that if a man got his date drunk, it was rape because she was by definition unable to give consent.

I believe that the word "rape" should be reserved for only the most serious instances. Otherwise I fear that it will dilute the seriousness of real rape.

I imagine that men have lied to women in order to get laid since time began. I don't think that a woman should be going to the police saying, "I had sex with a man who lied to me."

I guess my feeling is that there are things that people should not do that should not be illegal, not because they are not wrong, but because I don't think the government should be reviewing every moment of every person's life.

A man lying to get sex. How unusual.

No shit. I've never heard of such a thing!

But seriously, this is absurd. It sounds like he's serving time, not for lying, or for taking advantage of the woman, but for claiming he was Jewish when he's Arab. Sounds like that's what got the court's blood boiling, and that's just plain bullshit.

Since Mark brought it up, I feel compelled to point out that the UK has a very similar law. May not impact whether you think its a Jewish purity thing or not but interesting nonetheless.

I think the story said there was some precedent for this in the U.S. as well, although it wasn't specified. I can't imagine it would have anything to do with ethnicity though.

The woman may be upset after the fact about her choice in men, but if it was consensual and the guy didn't lie about having some STD or something that could physically harm the woman, then. ... :tdown

Meatloaf would be in trouble... Paradise by the dashboard light indeed. :)

I don't see why - she insisted that he swear undying love, and he did so.

I couldn't take it any longer

Lord I was crazed

And when the feeling came upon me

Like a tidal wave

I started swearing to my god and on my mother's grave

That I would love you to the end of time

I swore that I would love you to the end of time!

So now I'm praying for the end of time

To hurry up and arrive

Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you

I don't think that I can really survive

I'll never break my promise or forget my vow

But God only knows what I can do right now

I'm praying for the end of time

It's all that I can do

Praying for the end of time, so I can end my time with you!!!

There was no rape by deception - he swore he would love her til the end of time, and she gave it up. By the lyrics I'd say that even countless years later, he refuses to disavow that love, even though "God only knows what I could do right now."