Dutch musician Willem Breuker has died

J.A.W.

A musical giant.

A few months ago, I ordered every available BVHAAST LP that he had listed on his site - each for the measly sum of 2.5 Euros! He woefully underestimated the cost of shipping, and I imagine he wouldn't have mentioned it until I emailed him explaining that I knew he spent a lot more on postage than he charged me, and that I was going to send him the difference via PayPal. What a true lover of music and gentle human he was!

WILLEM BREUKER

1944-2010

breuker1.jpg

Last weekend one of the leading Dutch jazzmusicians of Europe and its surroundings passed away. Maybe I should change the word jazz as this flag doesn't cover the cargo - his music couldn't be pigeon-holed that easy; he was a creator of Mensenmuziek ( = Men's Music.). He founded his Kollektief more then 35 years ago to play his own music as a counterbalance to the popular music, idiot's music, he called it, radio and tv offered mankind. His music developed from free jazz ( labeled by opponents as Piep-Knars-Knor music) into the so-called improvised music or New Dutch Swing. His concerts surprised or shocked, but the audience always left with a smile on its face.

Willem Breuker (1944-2010): Creator of Men's Music

Durium

WILLEM BREUKER

1944-2010

breuker1.jpg

Last weekend one of the leading Dutch jazzmusicians of Europe and its surroundings passed away. Maybe I should change the word jazz as this flag doesn't cover the cargo - his music couldn't be pigeon-holed that easy; he was a creator of Mensenmuziek ( = Men's Music.). He founded his Kollektief more then 35 years ago to play his own music as a counterbalance to the popular music, idiot's music, he called it, radio and tv offered mankind. His music developed from free jazz ( labeled by opponents as Piep-Knars-Knor music) into the so-called improvised music or New Dutch Swing. His concerts surprised or shocked, but the audience always left with a smile on its face.

Willem Breuker (1944-2010): Creator of Men's Music

Durium

Nice post, Durium. Thanks.

the very thoughtful, tasteful, and eloquent wkcr host, cliff price, last evening broadcast a 3 hour program dedicated to the memory and music of the late willem breuker, entirely on the BHVAAST label.

the extended concerto for oboe, especially, is a stunning and beautiful jazz composition.

if you would like a cd-r of the broadcast, drop me a note and i'll be delighted to send it

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Visually, equalled only by Art Ensemble of Chicago of all the contemporary jazz bands from the 60's onward. Well, Sun Ra is up there as well. If you never saw them live, you really missed out on a lot of the fun but they made some stunning recordings as well. I first saw the Kollektief in a church on the campus of Tufts University in Medford, MA back in the early 80's, and was so knocked out that I had to sign them up to record on that very tour. Breuker's personal collection of recordings is legendary. A great man, a great band/family.

• 10 years later...