Need Texas Tips

I've got an unusual (for me) three-week assignment coming up for a client with offices in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston. I'll have to visit them all, but have some discretion on how to spend the assignment time. (Keep in mind, this is nearly 100 percent work, so I'm not really looking for music, restaurants, things to do...but...)

I'm trying to apportion my time within the bounds of, say two (minimum) to five (maximum) days in each city; I'm going to have about a week in secondary/tertiary cities where my questions don't apply.

I'm trying to pick an interesting but economical neighborhood, with hotels, to situate myself. Again, not much discretionary time, but I'd rather be in a neighborhood with cool shops and people and maybe some live music, than in an industrial park with an Applebees.

Any tips appreciated.

Edited by BeBop

I don't have a precise address yet, but I have rough dates for Austin. (I've independently decided to maximize my Austin time, especially weekends, based on prior visits. :tup ) Dates: September 10-13 and probably 23-25.

Sequence is looking "clockwise", starting in Austin--> Dallas -> Houston -> San Antonio -> then passing through Austin on my way off to Abilene and out.

What I'm seeing in my Austin rate limits:

North IH-35 Located just north of downtown Austin

Tudor Boulevard MoPac/Loop 1 and Highway 183

N. Capital of Texas Highway Austin/Arboretum

Stonelake Blvd. Austin/Arboretum

Governor's Row Austin South-Airport

Not to start an intercity pissing match with the residents of Austin, a wonderful place I've not visited in far too long, but if one is in search of a good meal, there's no place in Texas (and arguably the entire country) that can beat Houston when it comes to variety and quality. Yes, there's an abundance of crappy chain eateries here, but if you're willing to venture off the beaten path, the rewards are plentiful.

Exhibit A:

Robb Walsh's 100 favorite Houston dishes

I once read Dallas had the highest ratio of restaurants to residents in the US, so you won't go hungry here (but it's mostly Applebee's... haha). For the business visitor, Dallas is very spread out. Two stretches with a concentration of venues are Beltline Road in the northern suburb of Addison (the only part of Dallas where you can still smoke indoors) and Greenville Avenue in eastern Dallas (the further South you go, the "cooler" it gets - unfortunately, the coolest block recently burned to the ground). I'd say 2 days is plenty for Dallas. :D

The hotel's definitely on my "short list". The "humble-er" rooms fall within my rate limits*. Thanks for the tip!

* not so sure that the "curbside service" Mr. Lowe mentioned falls within rate limits.

Edited by BeBop

Not to start an intercity pissing match with the residents of Austin, a wonderful place I've not visited in far too long, but if one is in search of a good meal, there's no place in Texas (and arguably the entire country) that can beat Houston when it comes to variety and quality. Yes, there's an abundance of crappy chain eateries here, but if you're willing to venture off the beaten path, the rewards are plentiful.

Exhibit A:

Robb Walsh's 100 favorite Houston dishes

Man, how is Robb Walsh still alive??? Triple Meat burgers, Breakfast Tacos, is he insane???

Doing a bit of research. Based on previous visits to Houston and Dallas*, I'd allocated my time there pretty lightly, recognizing that they may be less "my style" than Austin for hanging out/not working. My only time in San Antonio has been work time. So, as I look around at non-work possibilities (neighborhoods, clubs, shops, interesting restaurants), I'm forming an impression that it's not a very interesting/cool place.

I'm not dissing anyone's town, but I'm just not unearthing gems in my research. Confirm/Deny?

* and college in Denton

Edited by BeBop

San Antonio's nice if you like that type of thing.

Dallas is ok if you know where to look, and if you're in town when it's happening like that. Otherwise, the effort/reward ratio is not conducive to random touristostity.

Houston is Houston - an acquired taste I've not yet fully acquired.

The only thing Austin has going for it is that Austin thing, which is enough for many people, just not for me.

My advise - get really high and go to Carlsbad Caverns instead. Do it now and thank me later.