Hot Five rediscovered

Durium

The Hot Five rediscovered

The Best of Louis Armstrong

The Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings - from the original masters ........

best+of+louis+armstrong.jpg

The Night Watch or The Militia Company of Captain Frans Banning Cocq by the Dutch 17th Century painter Rembrandt or the Mona Lisa or La Gioconda from Leonardo Da Vinci (some people even visit Paris to catch a glimpse of her) belong to the world treasures of arts - no doubt about that. But what about the treasures in Jazz? What bands or tunes should be inside the Hall of Fame?

hot+five1926-1.jpg

Well, Louis Armstrong's Hot Five and Hot Seven records should - No doubt about that. I rediscovered these wonderful played tunes thanks to a 4CD Columbia album entitled The Best of Louis Armstrong: The Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings. I was amazed to learn that so many (most contemporary) jazz collectors don't know the beauty of these 85 year old recordings. What a shame ...............

Some Like It Hot: The Hot Five rediscovered

Durium

Nice article, thanks.

I can't imagine ever tiring of these beautiful recordings. I have the JSP set and would love to track down the one above. A quick look around amazon didn't turn it up. (user error, I'm sure). Any hints?

It's a 2008 European reissue: Amazon U.K..

I wouldn't be surprised if it uses the same masterings as the now deleted big American box.

Nice article, thanks.

I can't imagine ever tiring of these beautiful recordings. I have the JSP set and would love to track down the one above. A quick look around amazon didn't turn it up. (user error, I'm sure). Any hints?

I wouldn't be surprised if it uses the same masterings as the now deleted big American box.

Thanks Hans. Reviews at amazon decidedly mixed on the American box. Maybe best to stick with the JSP?

Edited by papsrus

Nice article, thanks.

I have both and I think, IIRC, that the mastering credits are exactly the same on both boxes, however for some reason the 2008 European reissue does not have the Johnny Dodds Black Bottom Stompers tracks that are included on the now deleted big American box ie tracks 13 to 18 on disc 3. You can see that disc 3 on the European version has 16 tracks while the US one has 22.

It's srtange, I was going to post something on the Hot Five and Hot Seven recording myself as I recently listened to the 4 discs a couple of nights in a row and was really blown away all over again, as I hadn't listened to them in ages. "West End Blues" is just so good it beggars belief.

There is more of the same on Johnny Dodds: 1927, on Classics, worth picking up if you can find it. AMG review.

It's strange, I was going to post something on the Hot Five and Hot Seven recording myself as I recently listened to the 4 discs a couple of nights in a row and was really blown away all over again, as I hadn't listened to them in ages. "West End Blues" is just so good it beggars belief.

gutbucket.jpg

Maybe Louis or one of is fans above, had a meaning with this Cliff, "blowing us both really away all over again". Maybe a higher power wants us to spread the word :excited:

Keep (it) Swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium

I have both and I think, IIRC, that the mastering credits are exactly the same on both boxes, however for some reason the 2008 European reissue does not have the Johnny Dodds Black Bottom Stompers tracks that are included on the now deleted big American box ie tracks 13 to 18 on disc 3. You can see that disc 3 on the European version has 16 tracks while the US one has 22.

The US box included Brunswick/Vocalion masters belonging to Universal. They were removed for the European reissue.

Funny that they were removed for the European reissue, considering that the non-US copyright expired over 30 years ago.

Not to mention the fact of how important/relevant they are in the whole Hot Five/Hot Seven scheme of things, as they were, I believe, the prototype recordings for the Hot Seven line-up or sowed the seed of the idea anyway. But as Chuck points out the masters belong to someone else. :rcry :rcry :rcry

Funny that they were removed for the European reissue, considering that the non-US copyright expired over 30 years ago.

Perhaps major labels still follow an unwritten rule not to poach each other, despite the European copyright law.

So how come these tracks are on the US box?

If I read the item descriptions on Amazon correctly both were reissued by Sony. So how come Sony managed to include them for the US release but not for the European one?

Doesn't look like a case of "not poaching each other" but more like some other behind the curtain scheme...

Perhaps major labels still follow an unwritten rule not to poach each other, despite the European copyright law.

They do as far as I know. When Universal purchased the Sanctuary Group, the ASV/Living Era label was immediately cancelled for that reason.

F

So how come these tracks are on the US box?

If I read the item descriptions on Amazon correctly both were reissued by Sony. So how come Sony managed to include them for the US release but not for the European one?

Doesn't look like a case of "not poaching each other" but more like some other behind the curtain scheme...

Sony probably leased the material from Universal for the US market only.