BFT #77 (a/k/a #79) discussion

clifford_thornton

Haven't read the other posts of course. Enjoyed this a great deal but understand that Dan Gould will probably not.

CT has deliberately emphasized the connections of new thing and freebop to the tradition.

1. Monk! could maybe be him. That's fluegelhorn, I think. In Orbit with Clark Terry? Nah, the horn is a bit clean and pristine for the more vocal sounding Clark Terry and anyway, where are the bass and drums. A short edgy section rules out Monk himself. Out guys playing way in, or maybe say, Art Farmer with a more adventurous Eurpoean pianist? I'm more baffled than when I started, but I recognize a tune from the Monk Blue Notes, Eronel, I think. Very nice.

2. Ornetteish, but not Ornette I think at the beginning and start thinking Carter-Bradford thoughts. Then I catch the two basses duetting at the end and I'm thinking Sonny Simmons and Barbara Donald, specifically Burning Spirits which I think is a two bass date.

3. A little later freebop I think. My thoughs are Jack DeJohnette's Special Edition, Jemeel Moondoc and Arthur Blythe.

4. DAH-DOT! Interesting and dramatuic composition built on a two note theme. The composition reminds of Blue Note era Cecil, but not the piano. Influenced but stylistuically different. Roscoe Mitchell?

5. I had briefly considered David Murray on the previous track but I think he fits better as a guess here.

6. Ray Anderson? Not as blatantly funny as some of his work so maybe not.

7. Very Nice flute. Might guess Air but for the piano, so I'll try Ken McIntyre.

8. Coltrane is in the house. Not John himself, but more of a spiritually connected admirer than an imitator. The Fringe?

9. Almost a Harry Carney tribute for the first couple minutes, thenedges out and back in. Gotta be Hamiet Bluiett.

10. Killer solo trumpet track. Guessing Wadada because I don't know any other solo albums by trumpeters off the top of my head, but without much conviction.

11. Could be Jimmy Giuffre, his protege Andre Jaume or maybe James Emery and John Lindbergh with a like minded clarinetist

12. For me this was intensely reminiscent of Sonny Rollins St. Thomas. I think that had a guitar, and I kind of think I have heard this before and had the same reaction. Bennie Wallace?

13. I think this is post-Air Henry Threadgill. A little more populist, but way to busy partying to even think of patronizing.

14. Spiritual jazz with a populist bent. Grachan Moncur?? Steve Turre??

15. Billy Bang is the first thought, then Equal Interest Trio as I struggle to remember if a harmonium really sounds that much like a hammond. Nah. Noticing the LP surface noise I decide it's got more chance of being 60s-70s rather than 80s, si I'll wonder if Michael White ever recorded with organ and congas.

Guest Bill Barton

My osteoarthritis in the lower lumbar spine kicked up in a big way the last few days and I never got around to responding here. Haven't been online as much as usual. I see the answers are already up. Oh, well. Haven't peeked so maybe I'll get to it soon. Enjoyable listen in any case. Thanks, Clifford.

Edited by Bill Barton

• 8 months later...

I know I am incredibly delinquent but this is one of two BFTs that I committed to, but never fulfilled my obligations to the compiler. No excuses. Better late than never? Unfortunately, I can never find the time to do these things in one sitting, so I am going to have to do a couple of tracks at a time. I have not read any of the comments or the reveal for anything I have not first posted my own comments. Here are the first three:

1. Trumpet-piano duet. Dave Douglas and Misha Mengleberg come to mind, but nothing that I can commit to. I believe this is a Monk tune. Whatever, I enjoyed the performance.

2. This track sounds extremely familiar. I have always been a fan of the two horn, bass, drums instrumentation. Sounds like it is from the seventies. Long, passionate improvisation by the alto which manages to hold my attention. Definitely, someone I have heard before. Same with the trumpet. The bass and drums just keep pushing and bashing. I now realize that there are actually two bassists. Great stuff.

3. Another similar ensemble, this time a little more recent. Again, it sounds very familiar. I love the bassists sound. Strong tenor solo. Nice variation of dynamics and sound in the trumpet solo. Another good performance.

Edited by relyles

4. A somewhat larger ensemble – sounds like at least two trumpets, tenor, piano, bass, drums. It has a somewhat mysterious feel in the beginning which threatens at times to get a little frenetic. The pace does pick up once the trumpet solo starts. Neither the trumpet nor tenor soloist made a significant impression on me, but that is likely more a reflection of my own attention span. Overall, this is something I can listen to when in the right mood, but my initial response is not as positive as the previous three tracks.

5. I appreciate the interaction between the musicians and the spirited playing by the horns. For a minute the drummer made me think of Sunny Murray. This is something that I would probably enjoy more in the context of hearing the entire album.

6. Four minutes in on a Friday morning in the office, this one has yet to really get my attention. Could be the sound. Trying to listen to the trombonist now. Wish I could turn the volume up a little more. I am sure these are all talented musicians, but this one is failing to engage me at this time.

7. A flute for a little variety. I like the overall flow of this track. I suspect the recording is from the sixties and the first person that comes to mind is Yusef Lateef, but as always I am not committing. A solid, if unremarkable track.

8. From the outset this sounds like Odean Pope to me. It is definitely something familiar. I love the saxophonists tone – I know live he/she must have a really big sound that grabs the listener’s attention. I am going to commit this time. I really like this track

09. Another big sound that yells, dammit listen to me! You got my attention, now what? I am far from a connossiuer of solo saxophone performances, but I enjoyed this one a lot – largely because of the saxophonist’s sound. I would love to hear this musician in an ensemble.

10. Solo trumpet. Either the tune or the trumpeter sounds a little familiar, but no one in particular comes to mind other than Bobby Bradford. I am pretty certain it is not him. I imagine solo trumpet to be a little more of a challenge on the listener than solo saxophone, but the brass player hear does a good job of holding my interest. Nice performance.

11. Another instrument I do not think we have heard yet – guitar. Along with clarinet, bass and drums. The bass player has some Hadenisms. The clarinet is the most interesting soloist – I appreciate the fact that he/she is not afraid to use the middle range of the horn in addition to stretching for some of those higher notes. Don’t know if these are primarily straight-ahead musicians, but they had a nice swing feel during the clarinet solo. Solid track.

12. A little calypso feel to change the pace. Enjoyed the tenor work – very familiar. Bass solo was a little long for my preferences. It took some of the energy out of the performance.

13. I liked the bass clarinet player, but this otherwise did not keep my attention focused. Sounds like it could be someone like Louis Sclavis. It got better as I paid closer attention. I think it is the guitar that is ruining this track for me.

14. This is one of those loose jam type ensemble pieces that I have to be in a certain mood to fully appreciate. Not much happens in the rhythm and the soloists don’t excite me much. This probably works much better live. Okay track.

15. what the heck is that? Organ? Weird. Rugged violinist along with some out there keyboard and drums. At first I was confused, but it gets a lot better once the shock wears off. Still not sure how I feel about the organ, but I can really feel the violin. Bang? Worth investigating further.