A lousy article by someone who, despite (or because) being an "entertainment editor" (what's that?!) clearly knows nothing about Grimes, or why he is iimportant. Instead, we get the usual 30 second "human interest" story that adds nothing to the subject. If you are interested in Grimes, check out the article in the recent Siganal to Noise; a bit fawning perhaps, but still well-written and intelligently observed.

Edited by Leeway

That Signal to Noise interview IS good -- the writer clearly describes what it's like to hang out with Margaret and Henry, to decipher Henry's verbal ideas and he uses much the same analogy as I did in describing Henry's music as on or off.

Alan, your question is more difficult because I didn't hear him live in the 1960's, and he isn't in general playing straight ahead or groove based music nowadays. He does go after things that he nails, that move through scales and hit particular rhythms within the world he's improvising in at a given moment, and he'll also smear and circle and smudge at sounds as part of his improvisations. I mean, people today will come back and say, after hearing Eddie Lockjaw Davis play with Basie, "Sorry folks, I trascribed this and he's playing outside of the changes" as if that's the end of the musical value of Jaw's solo. So, a loaded question. I hear the depth and freedom, and I've heard the precision, though I've also heard sounds that happen at the "right" point in the music, though they are not precise in a conventional musical way.

• 4 months later...

I wish I could hear a good musical analysis from someone, somewhere, on Grimes' playing, on whether he still really can play with the depth, freedom, and precision he used to play with. I've yet to hear a recent recording of his in which I could form an opinion.

Allen, first, what recent recordings by Henry Grimes have you heard? There is a list at http://www.henrygrimes.com/CDs-books.html. Secondly, here you're asking whether Henry can still "really play with the depth, freedom, and precision he used to," (yes, he can, and more), and you're asking to read someone's "good musical analysis," and on another page you're asking whether Henry can still play changes (yes, he can, if he wants to and the situation requires it). Last I heard, you were living in the wilds of Maine, so maybe you don't get to any concerts, but when and if you do make it to a Henry Grimes concert (and there've been more than 4OO since mid-2OO3), maybe you can answer your own questions, and maybe you can even write a "good musical analysis." Maybe...

maybe I could write a good musical analysis? Thank you, Margaret, for that sarcastic and passive aggressive response to a reasonable question. I'm sure you are aware of my work, as well. Though I do wonder about YOUR musical qualifications: How many gigs have YOU played? Sure glad you could pop in here on a few threads to offer us a few plugs. See you in six months.

(and personally what little I've heard of Grimes' playing seems interesting but strangely random at times; more the memory of a great bassist than great playing. A reasonable response to his current life).

and since I know that Margaret won't like my comments, and will respond in a regressive and repressive manor, let me post a link to a nice little article that explains the First Amendment:

http://en.wikipedia....es_Constitution

Edited by AllenLowe

my issue isn't chord changes or not - what I said above was my general impression. Not bad, just.....in-between. Extremely interesting musically at times, though it's like a slightly non-linear echo of his former self.

I figure if the Constitution doesn't work, here's the Magna Carta:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Magna_Carta

also, the 10 Commandments:

http://en.wikipedia....en_Commandments

and, Who's on First?:

http://www.baseball-...om/humor4.shtml

and we'll finish off with the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010_swimsuit/

Edited by AllenLowe

The litany of past musical associates is kinda meaningless. It's not so much who you played with as it is how well you did. Members of local club bands may be unimpressive musicians, but their resumés are a who's who of the biggies they did BG for. Not saying that Grimes falls into that category—he doesn't, but it is something to think about.

Henry Grimes was good, that's about all I can say. There were better, there were worse, but he was there and helped to make those recordings happen. I can't vouch for the present work because for the most part, I don't listen to it. Saw him on a couple of gigs in the recent past and they didn't gel for a number of reasons.

aggie, look again.

I saw one post where you criticized Grimes' recent output, and Margaret challenged you on it by saying he was capable of playing the way you claim he can't.

After that you made a ton of posts criticizing Margaret and Henry's playing, and throwing random things out like the first amendment and swimsuits. None of which is necessary.

You're the aggressor here.

give me a break, Aggie. You are about as perceptive as a slug.'

1) I simply asked for some opinions about how he was playing

2)Margaret was sarcastic and belittling of me

and then...I didn't criticize his output, I analyzed it. Not a once did I criticize it - I just voiced my opinion in a reasonable way. Learn to read.

my only direct comment on Grimes' laying:

"... personally what little I've heard of Grimes' playing seems interesting but strangely random at times; more the memory of a great bassist than great playing. A reasonable response to his current life..."

you roll over too quickly, Aggie. Grow a spine.

Edited by AllenLowe