Tony Curtis has passed away.

porcy62

I recall reading David Mamet's BAMBI VS. GODZILLA, a collection of essays about the movie business, wherein Mamet has the temerity to make the case that, in his view, Tony Curtis was a better actor than Lawrence Olivier. He wasn't kidding and it makes for highly enjoyable reading. For myself I always enjoyed Curtis (aside from "Some Like it Hot", I loved him with Lemmon in "The Great Race") and it didn't hurt that he, formerly known as Bernie Schwartz, came from my neighborhood, the lower East Side of NYC.

That's a bummer, I grew up watching him. One of the first movies I ever remember seeing was Some Like It Hot.

Other favorites.

Operation Petticoat

The Rat Race

Sex And The Single Girl

For those that haven't seen The Rat Race - Gerry Mulligan, Sam Butera and Joe Bushkin all had speaking as well as playing roles.

Tony's good stuff is pretty good; his bad stuff, however, is fucking horrible. And we can argue well, it's not his fault but...

I dare everyone here watch "Lepke" (maybe thee worst mafia exploitation movie ever) and tell me Tony redeems it in the least.

I don't blame him as much for "City Across The River" (from Irving Shulman's "Amboy Dukes") being total crap because he was young but it is a terrible movie.

Some Like It Hot almost makes up for it but still... still.

Ace In The Hole & Kiss Me, Stupid are better.

"Sweet Smell of Success" is brilliant. Also love him with Roger Moore in "The Persuaders." RIP.

I recall reading David Mamet's BAMBI VS. GODZILLA, a collection of essays about the movie business, wherein Mamet has the temerity to make the case that, in his view, Tony Curtis was a better actor than Lawrence Olivier. He wasn't kidding and it makes for highly enjoyable reading. For myself I always enjoyed Curtis (aside from "Some Like it Hot", I loved him with Lemmon in "The Great Race") and it didn't hurt that he, formerly known as Bernie Schwartz, came from my neighborhood, the lower East Side of NYC.

i think Tony came from the Bronx but i lived on 6th st. & 2nd ave.!! LOL!