Stan Getz Quintets: The Clef & Norgran Studio Albums

crisp

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this set on order for a couple of weeks with Amazon UK. Does anyone know what the delay is? Has anyone in the UK managed to get a copy yet?

According to Amazon Germany the release date is now March 15. That might also be the case in the U.K.

Right, thanks for that J.A.W. According to Amazon UK it's still 'Temporarily Out Of Stock'

Not yet ready to pull the trigger on this one, myself, but I found a pretty good deal--about $36 shipped--for those who may be interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item45f8d113d4

I've made purchases from these guys in the past, and have always been very happy with them. Although based in Canada, they must be near the US-Canada border, because items have always been mailed quickly with tracking from an upstate-NY US Post Office.

Thanks much for the link. That's a great price (best I've seen). I'm really looking forward to enjoying this set. I have his early "Quartets" album and a few of his Verve recordings (West Coast Jazz, The Steamer, & Jazz Giants '58) and I enjoy those very much so I'm sure I'll dig the music.

Not yet ready to pull the trigger on this one, myself, but I found a pretty good deal--about $36 shipped--for those who may be interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item45f8d113d4

I've made purchases from these guys in the past, and have always been very happy with them. Although based in Canada, they must be near the US-Canada border, because items have always been mailed quickly with tracking from an upstate-NY US Post Office.

Thanks much for the link. That's a great price (best I've seen). I'm really looking forward to enjoying this set. I have his early "Quartets" album and a few of his Verve recordings (West Coast Jazz, The Steamer, & Jazz Giants '58) and I enjoy those very much so I'm sure I'll dig the music.

Thanks for reminding me! Just ordered one for myself. Looks like it wiped out their listing again, but they'll probably keep relisting it at this price as stock allows (at least for a while longer).

Got my copy yesterday and I must say this is a great set! The packaging is a little screwy but the music is fantastic especially since I had never heard any of it before. If you're on the fence, I highly recommend picking it up. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Got my copy yesterday and I must say this is a great set! The packaging is a little screwy but the music is fantastic especially since I had never heard any of it before. If you're on the fence, I highly recommend picking it up. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Just heard from Amazon that my copy's on it's way. So that's this weekend sorted! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I love this set, but there are some minor issues:

1) a song is described as "I Don't know What Time It Was" - sounds suspiciously like a song I know called "I Didn't Know What Time It Was"

2) We are treated to "It Don't Mean A Thing (alternate version)" - what happened to the issued or original version? It's not on this set.

3) We are told that the version of "Flamingo" was recorded in the studio the day after the shrine concert, yet the track is introduced by Duke and has applause throughout - of course applause can be added to studio tracks, but this sounds like the At the Shrine concert to me.

How are the discs in this set housed?

I think his set, East of the Sun: West Coast Sessions was one of the worst designed packages ever made and I hate how the discs are stored. It's a major effort just to get a disc out let alone trying to do it without damaging it.

Edited by mikelz777

How are the discs in this set housed?

I think his set, East of the Sun: West Coast Sessions was one of the worst designed packages ever made and I hate how the discs are stored. It's a major effort just to get a disc out let alone trying to do it without damaging it.

It's the same with the new set, it's difficult to get the discs out undamaged :( I put them in slimline jewel cases.

1) a song is described as "I Don't know What Time It Was" - sounds suspiciously like a song I know called "I Didn't Know What Time It Was"

2) We are treated to "It Don't Mean A Thing (alternate version)" - what happened to the issued or original version? It's not on this set.

3) We are told that the version of "Flamingo" was recorded in the studio the day after the shrine concert, yet the track is introduced by Duke and has applause throughout - of course applause can be added to studio tracks, but this sounds like the At the Shrine concert to me.

Still waiting for my set to arrive... #1 is a minor issue, but #2 and #3 sound rather annoying to me!

Too bad if it's so (not doubting your findings!) - quality control costs too much in these cheapo times of ours, I assume...

Still waiting for my set to arrive... #1 is a minor issue, but #2 and #3 sound rather annoying to me!

Too bad if it's so (not doubting your findings!) - quality control costs too much in these cheapo times of ours, I assume...

I didn't buy this set yet but according to the tracklisting on Amazon "I don't mean a thing" is on disc 2 track 9 and on disc 3 track 1.

Also according to to Amazon (fwiw) the playingtime of Flamingo on the Quintet set is 7:25 and on At the Shrine 8:34.

If it's the studio version with applause it's annoying if it's the Shrine version it's als annoying. You still need the Poll Winners edition of 'At The Shrine', wich has both versions, of Flamingo to be complete. :(

I didn't buy this set yet but according to the tracklisting on Amazon "I don't mean a thing" is on disc 2 track 9 and on disc 3 track 1.

Also according to to Amazon (fwiw) the playingtime of Flamingo on the Quintet set is 7:25 and on At the Shrine 8:34.

If it's the studio version with applause it's annoying if it's the Shrine version it's als annoying. You still need the Poll Winners edition of 'At The Shrine', wich has both versions, of Flamingo to be complete. :(

I've just had a listen to the two versions

1. Shrine Version on the recent Verve Originals CD (runs @ 8:34) -> has the Duke intro & Stan talking at the end of the track

2. Studio version on the 2002 Verve LPR CD "SG & The Cool Sounds" (runs @ 7:37) - no applause or intros & shorter time

BTW the "Cool Sounds" CD contains 6 titles (out of 10) that are also on this new 3CD set

Is this track on this set a hybrid of the two? or just a shorter version of the live track. That would be a bummer if the live track has been erroneously inserted

The version on the new set is the live recording. Duke's intro has been shortened so the times are different.

That's what I suspected. But remember the title of this disc indicates the recordings are all "studio" and why do the liner notes say this is a studio recording made the day after the Shrine concert... ??? Poor editing??

MY set only has one version of "It Don't Mean A THing" and it is an alternate, do other owners of this box have two versions?

Edited by skeith

I got my set from Amazon Germany and it has a total of 45 tracks, 19 on disc 1, 15 on disc 2 and 11 on disc 3. There are two versions of "It Don't Mean a Thing": track 9 on disc 2 (alternate version) and track 1 on disc 3.

That's where mine is underway from... guess I'll get the very same version then.

Btw, with these Hip-O-Selects, I put them into the "wrapper" at at 90° angle, so that on top there's the back of the hardbound book, not the top of it - like this, no dust will get into the pages where CDs are stuck in. But I guess it would still be smartest to store the discs elsewhere - but I hate separating discs from their package as in my mess they might never find together again...

Mine has both versions as described above. What is the first track on your disc 3?

Chuck,

You are right! I apologize to all for my confusion. I had taken the discs out of the box and had assumed the alternate take was appearing after the original take - in this case the original take is on the disc 3 whereas the alternate preceeds it on disc 2. I had not played my disc 3 for a while.

Sorry for the confusion, and my other two comments still stand.

Got my box... looks good! I like these Hip-O 7-inch boxes quite a lot, I must say!

Too bad about the "Flamingo" goof (haven't double-checked it yet).

I won't try and get in touch with anyone here in Switzerland, I think... once had a most unpleasant experience with Sony over the damaged Miles "Complete Bitches Brew" fourth disc and otherwise never, ever even got an answer to any inquiries to EMI or whomever I've already tried. I guess it would be most efficient to get in touch directly with someone in charge at Hip-O's?

I got my set from Amazon Germany and it has a total of 45 tracks, 19 on disc 1, 15 on disc 2 and 11 on disc 3. There are two versions of "It Don't Mean a Thing": track 9 on disc 2 (alternate version) and track 1 on disc 3.

That's where mine is underway from... guess I'll get the very same version then.

Btw, with these Hip-O-Selects, I put them into the "wrapper" at at 90° angle, so that on top there's the back of the hardbound book, not the top of it - like this, no dust will get into the pages where CDs are stuck in. But I guess it would still be smartest to store the discs elsewhere - but I hate separating discs from their package as in my mess they might never find together again...

Amazon.de sent me two Getz sets and charged me for one.

I guess they got confused in that long pre-order phase.

Idiots. ;)

I store each and every CD from each and every boxed set I have in separate jewel cases.

The boxes themselves, minus the booklets, go into a moving box (now four moving boxes) into the basement. I started doing that when I had to decide to either move out of my place ... or get rid of the (usually totally oversized and whacky) boxes.

An easy decision.

:)

Edited by neveronfriday