Previously Unavailable Vic Dickenson recording

I always knew I had an evening of Vic Dickenson's life on tape, I just couldn't find a machine to play it back. I had borrowed a tape recorder (half inch, four tracks) for a weekend, to record the music, but then didn't have access to it for playback. So, the tapes sat on a shelf for the next 37 years, unheard.

Well, I finally got them digitized and mixed, and they turned out to be damned good! Jim Galloway (Toronto soprano saxist who's on the recording) and I decided to make it available, though in a limited edition of only 500 CDs. (All legit, by the way: pre-paid royalties, etc.) We're definitely not business types, so we're not going to buy ads, or put it in any stores or on the internet except on Jim's website, where you can order it with PayPal: www.jimgalloway.ca

If we can sell all 500 copies for full price ($20 bucks US or Canadian, plus minimum postage) we'll have a couple of bucks left over for release of some other artists.

The website has the only review there'll ever be (we're not sending out free review copies!) and directions for ordering it, and here are the details:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Previously Unissued Historical Performances

Vic Dickenson /Jim Galloway Quintet

"Live at Daniel's, Toronto" June 8 & 9, 1973

Vic Dickenson, trombone

Jim Galloway, soprano* and baritone** saxes

Ron Sorley, piano

Dan Mastri, bass

George Reed, drums (Paul Rimstead on #4, 9, 11)

01. Sonny Boy * 4:49

02. Basin Street Blues */** 6:28

03. Zing, Went The Strings Of My Heart (Vic + trio) 5:45

04. Creole Love Call * 4:59

05. (Back Home Again In) Indiana * 3:59

06. Just A Closer Walk With Thee * 6:33

07. Manha De Carnaval (Vic + trio) 3:55

08. Struttin' With Some Barbecue * 5:53

09. Solitude (Jim ** + trio) 6:06

10. My Gal Sal * 4:49

11. Tin Roof Blues * 6:22

12. Just You, Just Me * 6:05

"Daniel’s, where this music was recorded in 1973, was a short-lived jazz club in Toronto. Vic and I had played together on a number of gigs, but on this occasion

it was also something of a reunion for Vic with two members of the old Saints And Sinners band, bassist Dan Mastri and drummer George Reed. The piano player, Ron Sorley, played with me regularly. Journalist Paul Rimstead, well known to Toronto audiences in the 70s and 80s, plays drums on three of the tracks.

"It’s mainly a programme of traditional jazz standards and a few lesser-known songs, Sonny Boy and a couple of features for Vic, Zing, Went The Strings Of My Heart and Manha De Carnaval. Vic’s sly sense of humour is much in evidence as he slurs and growls his way through his solos and proves yet again why he was my favourite trombone player.

"Those of you who are familiar with my playing on curved soprano should note that on this session I’m on the straight and narrow."

Jim Galloway

Sorry, John...that wasn't intended as a link mainly because I don't know how to create one. :blush2:

I put Jim's website address in there (as you note, www.jimgalloway.ca) in the hopes one would copy/paste it into a browser.

And thanks for the order...it's not a blockbuster release, but it's a good document of an evening in the life of a great jazz musician. The man who wrote the book on Vic (literally: "Ding! Ding!" by Manfred Selchow) loved the release...

Love Vic!

here's a photo of mine for you:

4891874093_0ff96f1c25_z.jpg

Jimmy McPartland, Herb Hall & Vic Dickenson

Buffalo, N.Y. 1975

Marcello...nice shot--from the Statler-Hilton in Buffalo, I'd guess. There was a businessman there named Bill Hassett who owned (I think) that property and presented lots of jazz in the main showroom. Tony Bennett, too, and he started the Improv label with Bennett. I think Concord owns those masters now.

Herb Hall had a lovely toupee there, didn't he? Or was it chilly and he wore a wool cap?

BTW, have you ordered the Vic CD? I hope...

Love Vic!

here's a photo of mine for you:

4891874093_0ff96f1c25_z.jpg

Jimmy McPartland, Herb Hall & Vic Dickenson

Buffalo, N.Y. 1975

Marcello...nice shot--from the Statler-Hilton in Buffalo, I'd guess. There was a businessman there named Bill Hassett who owned (I think) that property and presented lots of jazz in the main showroom. Tony Bennett, too, and he started the Improv label with Bennett. I think Concord owns those masters now.

Herb Hall had a lovely toupee there, didn't he? Or was it chilly and he wore a wool cap?

BTW, have you ordered the Vic CD? I hope...

Yes Ted, it was at the Statler, where I heard a lot of great music. I believe that Herb Hall was subbing for Buddy Tate, who IIRC, scalded himself in a hot shower while on tour ( in Iceland of all places!). Helen Humes sang, Major Holley on bass and Marian McPartland on piano, also.

I'm ordering the cd right away as a little Christmas gift for myself!

Great response, thanks. I'll get over to Jim Galloway's place later today to help him in the mail room (a.k.a. kitchen table) to handle the rush!

Once you get it, I'd appreciate hearing any responses to the music. I think Vic Dickenson was the shaggy dog of jazz, and he's at his relaxed and casual best here.

• 2 weeks later...

Very enjoyable and uplifting music. Heart-warming. Unpretentious. Brings a smile to your face. Just like a Friday night out with a friend relaxing and enjoying some good jazz. I had to listen to it a couple of times to adjust to the sound quality. Not that's there's anything wrong with it; in fact, it's really quite good. I don't quite know how to put it, but the sound is very open and spread out, as opposed to the focus of a studio recording.

Thanks to Ted and Jim. :)

Edited by John Tapscott

Very enjoyable and uplifting music. Heart-warming. Unpretentious. Brings a smile to your face. Just like a Friday night out with a friend relaxing and enjoying some good jazz. I had to listen to it a couple of times to adjust to the sound quality. Not that's there's anything wrong with it; in fact, it's really quite good. I don't quite know how to put it, but the sound is very open and spread out, as opposed to the focus of a studio recording.

Thanks to Ted and Jim. :)

totally missed out on this - will have to wait a while, short of funds - hope you still have some copies left! :excited:

totally missed out on this - will have to wait a while, short of funds - hope you still have some copies left! :excited:

Ditto for me, Ubu. Have to wait until I get back over to the other side of the pond! (I'm on yours, right now!)

gregmo

A new Vic Dickenson recording is always great news! Just ordered this through Jim Galloway's website.

Thanks to you all... Don't worry, at this point we still have lots left (even though 500 was all that we made). It ain't easy selling jazz records, you know, especially with no funds for advertising or media promotion. In fact, to this point all we've done is sell it to a few friends and off the bandstand on Jim's gigs, and here on Organissimo. (BTW, to order: http://www.jimgalloway.ca/).

I'm a big fan of Vic Dickenson (and that's why I recorded the Daniel's gig in 1973), but I was loaned a rarity the other day, one that I'll put on a CDR for frequent listening: "The Saints and Sinners Catch Fire" recorded at the Sheraton-Jefferson Hotel in St. Louis (Seeco CELP-4540). It's an early (1960) edition of the S&S band that Vic and Red Richards co-led, which was frequently heard in Toronto at the Cav-A-Bob, and at the old Colonial Tavern on Yonge Street.

I have three other LPs by them, on 77 Records, Sackville and MPS. I think that's the complete official output of a neat little band -- the kind that doesn't exist any more, and I'm saddened by that...

now the link is working :-)

sorry to hear sales are going so slowly... I guess you don't mind if some of us spread word a little?

Oh, and I'd like my copy signed by Vic :crazy:

Please spread the word as widely as you can...it's all appreciated. I don't think "sales are going so slowly", we don't expect it to sell as well as Justin Bieber (as a Canadian, I apologize for that). But we would like fans of Vic to be able to get it...

As to the autograph, can you wait until I see him again? :w

• 3 weeks later...

Have the discs been shipped?

Still waiting to get my copy!

Received mine in timely fashion.

Now you have me worried!

Realize I am on the other side of the pond but would like some confirmation that the disc is on its way here...

Edited by brownie