Library of Congress gets a mile of music from Universal

brownie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it was a reply to the thread. For most people here the only dimension of any question of culture is ownership. Hence all the endless discussions about public domain and the corresponding complete absence of discussion about art.

Oh, I disagree - for me, there's too much discussion of art and not enough of entertainment. YMMV

MG

No it was a reply to the thread. For most people here the only dimension of any question of culture is ownership. Hence all the endless discussions about public domain and the corresponding complete absence of discussion about art.

Oh, I disagree - for me, there's too much discussion of art and not enough of entertainment. YMMV

MG

We're not reading the same threads then. All I see are images of album covers, discussions about ownership and remastering, a curious pride in the ability of American labels large and small to shaft their artists by keeping stuff out of print for decades (we're supposed to be grateful when it trickles back out) allied to a hostility towards European labels which in recent decades have done the exact opposite. That and nudge-nudge wink-wink advice on where and how to filch recorded music. Discussions about art though... hm...

well, I do disagree. Because the what of this music is tied in so inextricably to the where, when, and how (and the I WANT IT).

which brings it all down to 'CDs' and CD collectors - which reminds me I was going to ask you in another thread about your reference to 'our core audience' - setting aside the 'our' part, what do you think actually is the core audience of this (basically) historical music?