Miles Davis - Juan Les Pins 1969

skeith

This was the Japanese Sony CD release (complete with erroneous spelling of Festival and Juan les Pins)...

a0c4923f8da0fb7c2bc78010.L.jpg

Don't know of any other official release of the two concerts.

May I add that I attended both concerts!

I picked this up yesterday and while I am very impressed with the performance, I wish the recording were as good. There seems to be a bit of distortion and in particular the horns buzz a bit - not terrible but not great either

Any further comments on the Japanese cd of one of the concerts? See mine above.

This just screams for a remaster, don't you think?

Any distortion that's on the master tape won't be remedied by a remaster.

This was the Japanese Sony CD release (complete with erroneous spelling of Festival and Juan les Pins)...

a0c4923f8da0fb7c2bc78010.L.jpg

Don't know of any other official release of the two concerts.

May I add that I attended both concerts!

I picked this up yesterday and while I am very impressed with the performance, I wish the recording were as good. There seems to be a bit of distortion and in particular the horns buzz a bit - not terrible but not great either

Any further comments on the Japanese cd of one of the concerts? See mine above.

This just screams for a remaster, don't you think?

Any distortion that's on the master tape won't be remedied by a remaster.

I also have the Japanese Sony release and its more than just listenable, although the bass was the hardest for me to hear, almost inaudible in places, but the music more than makes up for it.

One more video ('Directions' which opened the first of the two concerts) from Juan les Pins 1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoEg1Y2-wVA&feature=related

There is a glimpse of me right at the start of the sequence. I am the bespectacled photographer with the dark shirt taking position at center just below the stage.

Wish I had still had that waistline :cool:

Damn Jack DeJohnette (and the rest of that Lost Quintet too!) was on fire that night!

One more video ('Directions' which opened the first of the two concerts) from Juan les Pins 1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoEg1Y2-wVA&feature=related

There is a glimpse of me right at the start of the sequence. I am the bespectacled photographer with the dark shirt taking position at center just below the stage.

Wish I had still had that waistline :cool:

Damn Jack DeJohnette (and the rest of that Lost Quintet too!) was on fire that night!

yaeh, i grabbed that one the other day too. that's so great that you were there!@#$% what a beautiful place to be.

i believe this is more from that performance:

More

hey brownie, how do you "embed" vids like you did above? i tried a couple things but couldn't get it to work. i'm sure i'm just missing a simple little thing but can't find it...

Edited by thedwork

All these videos are terrific. Wouldn't it be great if Jazz Icons or Sony did a DVD of them. Unfortunately that probably won't happen because the Davis estate seems so difficult to deal with.

Long before the Davis estate had anything to do with it, for whatever reason, this was called "The Lost Quintet" with good reason. I'm sure there's a reason why Columbia didn't do something to document this band, but damned if I know what it is.

Just as the (re)discovery of the now-legendary "Second Great Quintet" precipitated the mainstreaming of a once "esoteric" musical sensibility, so might a reversal of the de facto supression of this band. The "walls" are finally starting to crack (and have been for the last 10 years or so, when those two grey-market CDs - Double Image & Paraphernailia - came out and all the underground talk of badassness from those who had actually heard the various tapes proved to be accurate, to put it mildly), but there's yet no (and may never be) a Plugged Nickel-like "Rosetta Stone" for this music. Part of that is because it was evolving so rapidly, but an equal part is that most of what exists is amateur recordings of variable quality. Again - where was Columbia?

People need to hear this band's output. At least people interested in jazz as something other than "repertory music" do, becuase this was a band where a lot of then-"controversial" currents in the music - free jazz, "rock" rhythms, and electric instruments - came together in a music that was still unmistakably "jazz". All the revisionary bullshit about how all those evolutions were "mistakes" and "not really jazz" and "commercial sellouts" falls apart when you hear this band play what it played how it played it.

There's a few bands whose lack of "official" documentation has really skewed the "common history" towards the inaccurate as well as allowing for the agenda-driven revisionists/faux-preservationists to get far more of a free pass than they deserve. From early in the 1960s, the Rollins-Cherry band is one, but at least they hade a little piece on RCA. From late in the 1960s, there's this, The Lost Quintet of Miles Davis. One - one - Japanese-only Sony CD, period. That and a buttload of bootlegs, audio and video.

No matter what you think about it, it's next to impossible to fully understand so much of what happened in the so much of the jazz of the early 1970s without hearing this band go from where it started to where it ended up. But how is that supposed to happen?

In the meantime, anybody who tells you that the '70s was when jazz "got away" from itself, please allow for the distinct possibility that they are either ignorant or else full of shit. There is that argument to be made, but making it to advance the cause of putting Humpty Dumpty back together again ignores the fact that one way or another, eggs end up getting broken, even if allowed to conclude their natural cycle.

Especially if allowed to conclude their natural cycle.

hey brownie, how do you "embed" vids like you did above? i tried a couple things but couldn't get it to work. i'm sure i'm just missing a simple little thing but can't find it...

All you have to do when in the replying zone, is click on the 'insert media' button at the far right of the post options (just above the window) and copy the video link.

Good luck!