World's Largest Snake Caught

BERIGAN

2732073.jpg

World's Largest Snake Caught

POSTED: 10:02 AM EST December 30, 2003

UPDATED: 10:15 AM EST December 30, 2003

STRANGE PHOTOS: Weird News In Pictures

JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Indonesian villagers claim to have captured a python that is 49.21 feet long and weighs nearly 1,000 pounds, a local official said Monday.

Not weird enough? Read more strange news.

LOOK! Strange News Photos

CLICK FOR LARGER PHOTO

If confirmed, it would be the largest snake ever kept in captivity.

Hundreds of people have flocked to see the snake at a primitive zoo in Curugsewu village on the country's main island of Java, Republika daily reported. It splashed two large pictures of the reptile across its back page.

Local government official Rachmat said the reticulated python measured 14.85 meters (49 feet) and weighed in at 447 kilograms (985 pounds).

The Guinness Book of World Records lists the longest ever captured snake to be 9.75 meters (32 feet). The heaviest--a Burmese Python kept in Gurnee, Illinois--weighs 182.76 kilograms (403 pounds), the book said on its Web site.

Rebublika said the snake, which was caught last year but only recently put on public display, eats three or four dogs a month.

Reticulated pythons are the world's longest snakes. They are capable of eating animals as large as sheep, and have been known to attack and consume humans.

The species is native to the swamps and jungles of Southeast Asia...

http://www.wftv.com/news/2732086/detail.html#

What creeps me out is knowing that someone here is probably reading this and thinking "what a cool pet!"  :g

WTF!!!??? :o:wacko::angry:

Mnytime has a bigger pet snake than that. ;)

Beat me to that comment, Catesta. ;)

Now we know how Mnytime fed his snakes: he sic'ed them on his neighbor's dogs.

Notice the article says that the reticulated pythons eats 3-4 dogs a day. No doubt the Indonesians just feed them stray dogs. I have never been a dog owner, but I would imagine that this might upset some of our posters who are dog lovers.

Oh, and here I thought this had something to do with Clarence "I love Long Dong" Thomas!

:blink::blink:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought the same thing. Now, that's a potential tailoring challenge!

Just saw this snake on the news. It's as long as a schoolbus and as big around as I am. Holy Man!! Hide Spot!!!

Edited by patricia