recommend me some jazz

nat0aus

Hi there,

So I'm new to jazz. I've listened to a bit of Miles Davis but that is about it. I appreciate all different types of music, but generally speaking, it has to be 'dark' or 'ethereal' for me to like it. I really liked the album 'Bitches Brew', but I prefer to hear vocals when I listen to music, preferably female as long as they're not old (at the time of recording). I also prefer a bit of structure. I favour a more natural sound as opposed to anything electronic (old school electronic analog instruments are cool, just nothing digital) I'm not too fussed if it is modern or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by nat0aus

Bright Moments, what is the name of that album in your avatar? Julie London sounds amazing, I just finished listening to the album, I'm not sure which version it is though. The only problem I could say is that sometimes the songs just start and you don't even realize it; each track sounds very familiar. A great album though, 'No Moon At All' is my favourite. Is there perhaps a modern equivalent of this album with drums? Or even just any albums similiar to this?

Edited by nat0aus

A dark horse selection might be Gabriela, who is accompanied by Bill Frisell's eerie guitar sounds. The words 'dark', ethereal, and 'Bitches Brew' in your post made me think of her.

Here's a link to her producer/label site and samples from the album "El Viaje"...

http://www.songtone.com/discs/index-gabriela_ev.php

Bright Moments, what is the name of that album in your avatar? Julie London sounds amazing, I just finished listening to the album, I'm not sure which version it is though. The only problem I could say is that sometimes the songs just start and you don't even realize it; each track sounds very familiar. A great album though, 'No Moon At All' is my favourite. Is there perhaps a modern equivalent of this album with drums? Or even just any albums similiar to this?

"A Caddy for Daddy" by the great Hank Mobley. My avatar was "modified" for me by the great Africabrass - i hope jeff is doing well - we miss him around here.