Giants that are not signed to a label.

Jazz Groove

I was wondering why so many of the greats, such as Lou Donaldson, Jackie McLean to name just two aren't signed to any lable. I believe every records label has some form of a jazz section. EMI has Blue Note for example.

Can you think of any other Giants that haven't been recorded in a studio in quite some time?

I would like to see Blue Note doa new Lou Donaldson or Jackie McLean record.

I remember indeed reading an article that said the inimitable Ms. Allen was indeed signed to Telarc now, and they had plans to start releasing new recordings from her on a regular basis. That is great news... she deserves it.

The list of greats without a steady contract is great indeed. But I think a lot of artists are now looking to smaller labels and individual releases to market their talents, in these days of direct internet sales and what have you. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, as long as various independents come in to record interesting discs. Cecil, for instance, has put out a lot of great stuff in the last few years on labels like FMP, Intakt, and so on, so I hope he's at least able to make a living that way.