ebay madness re: vinyl

I think we will soon get used to see those Coltrane on Impulse reach higher prices than before...

It is a bit like Kind Of Blue: not a rare record at all, but there is such high demand that it always fetches rather high prices.

I have seen 100's of copies of A Love Supreme or Ballads being sold on eBay the last couple of years; they never sell below $100-150, though.

Having said that, it is not so easy to find decent copies of real first pressings (shiny label; "Ampar" imprint on the bottom of label) of the first couple of Coltranes on Impulse!

Absolutely right, and this detail is rarely (if ever) mentionned in Impulse descriptions.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mono tape for these Impulse! releases was created by summing the left & right of the stereo tape. RVG had stopped making a dedicated mono mix by the late 50's. If you can't afford one these pricy monos, just play the stereo version and use a Y cord to combine the two channels.

Actually most of my original Impulse! are stereo, I always paid less then 100 $, often much less, for them. One of the reason for mono, in my case at least, is that I have a mono cartridge, that minimize the wear of the records and maximize the punch, whatever SH could say of Y cord.

I think we will soon get used to see those Coltrane on Impulse reach higher prices than before...

It is a bit like Kind Of Blue: not a rare record at all, but there is such high demand that it always fetches rather high prices.

I have seen 100's of copies of A Love Supreme or Ballads being sold on eBay the last couple of years; they never sell below $100-150, though.

Having said that, it is not so easy to find decent copies of real first pressings (shiny label; "Ampar" imprint on the bottom of label) of the first couple of Coltranes on Impulse!

Absolutely right, and this detail is rarely (if ever) mentionned in Impulse descriptions.

:blink:

I have Am-Par on the back of cover, not on labels)

Details please. :)

Edited by porcy62

General "rule" is:

- first pressings of A-1 - A-90 (?) should have labels with shiny - instead of matte - surface.

- labels of first 20 - 25 (?) titles should have "A Product Of AM-PAR Record Corp." printed on the bottom of the label. Later labels have "A product of ABC Paramount Records Inc."

Perhaps Michel has more precise information?

General "rule" is:

- first pressings of A-1 - A-90 (?) should have labels with shiny - instead of matte - surface.

- labels of first 20 - 25 (?) titles should have "A Product Of AM-PAR Record Corp." printed on the bottom of the label. Later labels have "A product of ABC Paramount Records Inc."

So 'matte' labels are the early reissues before the new ABC Paramount label, right?

General "rule" is:

So 'matte' labels are the early reissues before the new ABC Paramount label, right?

No, i have nothing more to add !

Yes, Porcy, in other words, the "matte" label is the "last generation" of the original label design (4 logos). Or the "first reprint generation" still with original label design . After that you have the "impulse logo on top" design.

In any case, you can avoid the french impulse pressings "gravure universelle" : bad pressings in general. Covers are US originals anyway. You can use them to upgrade...

General "rule" is:

Yes, Porcy, in other words, the "matte" label is the "last generation" of the original label design (4 logos). Or the "first reprint generation" still with original label design . After that you have the "impulse logo on top" design.

In any case, you can avoid the french impulse pressings "gravure universelle" : bad pressings in general. Covers are US originals anyway. You can use them to upgrade...

Thanks!

I presume that it works both for stereo and mono, right?

General "rule" is:

Thanks!

I presume that it works both for stereo and mono, right?

For example, this one is NOT an original. Apparently, high bidder doesn't know.

Thanks.

After a random check on my Impulse! it happens that I have very few 'shiny' label, but later 'four logos' reissues. They sounds OK and I paid generally 50/60 $ for them so I presume it should be fine.

Porcy,

I absolutely agree, the early titles with 'matte' label sound superb too (like the shiny ones). And keep in mind that first pressings of the 'four digit' titles (9101 - ...) always have matte labels.

By the way, if you ever find promo copies of the 'four logo' issues, buy them (white label, no mentioning of 'product of ABC Paramount Records'). I have a couple of these, they sound incredible!

Thanks.

After a random check on my Impulse! it happens that I have very few 'shiny' label, but later 'four logos' reissues. They sounds OK and I paid generally 50/60 $ for them so I presume it should be fine.

Porcy,

I absolutely agree, the early titles with 'matte' label sound superb too (like the shiny ones). And keep in mind that first pressings of the 'four digit' titles (9101 - ...) always have matte labels.

By the way, if you ever find promo copies of the 'four logo' issues, buy them (white label, no mentioning of 'product of ABC Paramount Records'). I have a couple of these, they sound incredible!

Agree, I've got some of those like Shepp' Mama To Tight. Great sound!

In general I look for WLP and Review Copy: some sort of warranty as early pressings, expecially with rock records, wich are usually pressed in millions. You may loose the cover's art, because of the time strip paste on it, but excellent sound. I've got dozens of Dylan, Santana, Lou Reed, Zappa, etc. and they worth the search, sonically speaking.

He asks 700 for this one (200 more than the auction prices) , but will not send to a non paypal confirmed adress ; means, not outside the US, since only US adress are paypal confirmed. This guy is a problem seller, had trouble with him once (because of non confirmed adress). He can keep his overpriced marzette watts to himself.

Nice though that demo LP would be, the TOCJ CD of that album sounds great. It's one of my favorite albums, and it's a pity that it was not originally released. I love the guy shouting in the background on the opening track.

(As so often happens with Blue Note CDs, the U.S. version sounds dull and masks the quality of the album.)

Has anyone else noticed that the number of vinyl auctions on Ebay seems to be decreasing the past month or so? While there are still auctions that fetch crazy prices(see above) there just doesn't seem to be that many rare or semi rare LPs coming up for auction. I usually have any where from 10 to 30 auctions that I'm watching . Yesterday for the first time in years I had zero auctions that I was watching. I would have thought that w/ the U.S. economy tanking that more people would be parting w/ their collections. I'm guessing the new rules for sellers have really pissed a lot of people off.

Yeah, I try to buy off-eBay as much as possible. Just got the ICP Chocolate Box from an auction list - probably never would have occurred in a high-visibility eBay auction.

In fact most heavy pieces I've bought were through non-eBay connections.

Plus, there weren't that many copies circulating of these rarities - they may be out of the market for a while now that new hands have 'em.

Yeah, I try to buy off-eBay as much as possible. Just got the ICP Chocolate Box from an auction list - probably never would have occurred in a high-visibility eBay auction.

In fact most heavy pieces I've bought were through non-eBay connections.

Plus, there weren't that many copies circulating of these rarities - they may be out of the market for a while now that new hands have 'em.

What auction list? I'm always looking for stuff similar to your tastes.

I don't know about lack of eBay action. At least that Oxxbridge Gallery seller in New Jersey USA is dumping a ton of stuff, albeit at crazy minimum prices.

The weak dollar should actually be pushing alot of US sellers into the market now. Maybe the Euro and Asian sellers are sitting back as no one is the US can afford to buy from overseas right now.