Diz N' Bird in Concert

medjuck

The unfortunately 1 disc only Birdland All Stars at Carnegie Hall I just received lists other Roulette cds including one titled Diz N' Bird in Concert. Much to my surprise it's not listed in Peter Losin's excellent Bird discography

(nor are any other Roulette releases). Does anyone know what session(s) it contains?

The Roulette vinyl, which I had many years ago, had the edited-down version of the 1947 Carnegie Hall tracks. The BN issue mentioned by Brownie has them in complete form.

You talking about the Echoes Of An Era series? Yeah, they issued them like they were still 78s...I never understood that.

But that is some of the purest, most fully realized bebop ever recorded, especially "Dizzy Atmosphere". Things had to be simplified if it was ever going to become the province of more than a handful of virtuosos, but hearing this most complex music realized in full flower at this level is startling, exhilarating, and profoundly humbling, at least for me.

The Roulette vinyl, which I had many years ago, had the edited-down version of the 1947 Carnegie Hall tracks. The BN issue mentioned by Brownie has them in complete form.

You talking about the Echoes Of An Era series? Yeah, they issued them like they were still 78s...I never understood that.

But that is some of the purest, most fully realized bebop ever recorded, especially "Dizzy Atmosphere". Things had to be simplified if it was ever going to become the province of more than a handful of virtuosos, but hearing this most complex music realized in full flower at this level is startling, exhilarating, and profoundly humbling, at least for me.

That's the one I had. It was a life-changing album for me as a teenager, not only for the Carnegie Hall tracks, but for the randomly selected, often mistitled selection of Bird's Dial output that was included.

like "Relaxin' in Cameroon" ? or "Yardbird Sweats" or "Daisy's Atmosphere" ?

btw, was listening to some of the Dial stuff on a collection recently, and can't remember the tune, but there's a Barney Kessel intro that sounds just like Giant Steps.

I'll try and find it.