Wadada Leo Smith

Guest Chaney

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get a time machine, go back, getcher head outta the political forums for a quick minute, catch this thread from the beginning, and pre-order from CD Universe. Too late for THAT! ;)

Wait a sec - how do I know you're the REAL Johnny E? :g

Sheeesh! Beat me with a bat next time why doncha! :P

Seriously, if you look at Alan Lankin's page (and if you have to ask what that is...), there's links to preorder all kinds of jazz stuff, ALL kinds, from CD Universe at what is probably going to be your best price short of getting promo copies. Plus, you're helping one of our own out by the clickthrough. Charity begins at home, and all that.

Shit home boy - JAZZMATAZZ! Why didn't you just say so. I have a link to that site on my bands website. I go there all the time.

Ordered!

I had preordered my KABELL YEARS box from CD Universe, and mine arrived last night already! Listened some in the car this AM...wow, this is really great music, at least Disc 1, not just good, GREAT. According to All Music Guide, the original LPs weren't well pressed and so the recordings sounded lo-fi...well, that's not an issue here. Tzadik has done a remarkable remastering job, this stuff sounds fresh and very "true," lots of overtones on the percussion instruments that are supposed to have overtones for example. Great sound.

I hadn't had time to even glance at the liners, and I'm listening to Disc 1 in the car on the freeway, bathing in Smith's huge, enveloping trumpet tone, basically in heaven...then this incredible percussion passage begins and just keeps going and going, building momentum, layering on sounds, really unique. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out who the percussionist is, but can't come up with who it might be...well, a bad mother whoever. Finally I get to my destination and finally safely dig out the CD notes to find out and...geez, it's WADADA LEO SMITH! What a musician. It's like that old Warner Brothers cartoon - "Bugs Bunny, first base; Bugs Bunny, second base; Bugs Bunny, third base..." Wadada is everywhere!

Seriously, this is some of the most riveting percussion work I've ever heard, in a jazz context or otherwise, totally and utterly musical.

I cannot wait to hear discs 2-4. Those of you waiting for this box are in for one big treat.

Edited by DrJ

Got mine today. (It actually arrived this past Wednesday but, as I wasn't home to sign for the UPS package...)

On the last page of the booklet is this note:

This set represents the complete Kabell recordings except for two tracks on Ghanian flute (Sarahanna and Kashala) from Kabell 4 (Ahkreanvention) omitted at Wadada's request.

Anyone have a clue as to why Smith would have made that request?

Edited by Chaney

This set represents the complete Kabell recordings except for two tracks on Ghanian flute (Sarahanna and Kashala) from Kabell 4 (Ahkreanvention) omitted at Wadada's request.

I've pulled my lp of this title, will give it a listen and post my impression of the missing tracks. I have not listened to it in a while.

I've pulled my lp of this title, will give it a listen and post my impression of the missing tracks. I have not listened to it in a while.

Well I finally listened to the lp. The flute tracks have lots of notes and tons of rapid print-through. My guess is they dumped them because of the time it would take to edit the tapes. There are some "print" problems with the other pieces on the record, but not as complicated. Nothing wrong with the music omitted, but nothing essential either.

I hate threads like these. You people make it sound like this is the Holy Grail or something. But I'm not falling for it this time. No! Stop! What the hell? What's my credit card doing out? Email from CDUniverse confiriming....you bastards! :angry:

Same sort of thing just happened to me... shitte!

However, after having had my first encounter with Smith by acquiring "Tao Njia" (sp?) a month ago and then reading the AMG reviews, I'm pretty excited about hearing this music the first time soon!

Then also, I am preparing a short radio programme (two hours, two weeks apart) in remembrance of Malachi Favors, so this one could certainly be of use for that occasion, too (and I do have a reason why I need to have it...)

ubu

I will probably get some bunsen burner wounds for this one but . . . Wow, I really WANT to like this box. . . First disc with percussion leaves me rather cold. As a percussionist there is little to really fascinate me there! Would rahter he had played the horns more. . . .

No bunsen burner flames here! Disagree, but civilly! :)

It could be my tastes - I like my (non trap set) percussion with a lot of air and space, it feels less cluttered to me that way. Smith just does it so perfectly to me. But I could certainly see where to folks with different taste the percussion passages on the first disc could be considered TOO sparse/boring.

• 4 weeks later...

i just saw this set used, and i did a search hoping to come up with anything on wadada leo smith, and what do you know - a topic on this very set.

how is this set?

is it worht picking up?

I would say yes, depending on your tastes. I really dig this set but can tell that it is most definitely not for everyone. If the price is right give it a chance. You'll be able to get your money back on ebay if you really dislike it.

I'm still not warming up to this set completely. . . I've listened to it all and there really isn't too much to draw me in; it's a little outside my interests. My point about the percussion was that to me it seems the sort of stuff every beginning percussionist discovers and then moves on from, or maybe it was just ME. The rest of the music has some great moments. . . I'll probably like it more with time. . . but it hasn't really excited me.

BUT it might be the cat's meow for some and a used price would make it tempting to try.