Wadada Leo Smith

Guest Chaney

I've only listened to the first two discs so far (I've fallen in with a bad crowd; yeah, I'm talking about YOU guys! and I've bought too much jazz so far this year!), but so far my impressions have been "somewhat interesting, but am I ever going to listen to this again?" I agree with Lon on the percussion, and as for the brass playing, as much as I love Smith's tone, he really doesn't seem to do much with it. I'm not saying pass on it, but compared to the Art Ensemble box I got shortly after, or the Anderson/Drake disc I've been spinning today, it really doesn't match up for me...

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd jump this thread up. I'm just enjoying my first few listens to this. Reflectativity has really caught my attention. Anthony Davis is fantastic. A lot of things I've seen about him highlight his 'classical' leanings (although it's all music, right?)...What strikes me about his playing here, though, is his knowledge of the jazz tradition.

Before listening to this, I'd been listening to 'Procession of the Great Ancestry' as well (which I'd strongly, strongly recommend as well). It's slowly dawning on me why Braxton speaks so highly of Smith (since his profile, sadly, is surely nowhere near the press Braxton gives him!) :tup:tup:tup

• 2 years later...

Bump.

I'd been thinking about this set for a while and right now I'm looking at a less-than-half-price copy for sale.

Do those who have lived with this set for a while have any further thoughts/ caveats/ plaudits to share before I hit the 'purchase' button?

Thanks.

Bump.

I'd been thinking about this set for a while and right now I'm looking at a less-than-half-price copy for sale.

Do those who have lived with this set for a while have any further thoughts/ caveats/ plaudits to share before I hit the 'purchase' button?

Thanks.

I don't find it a knockout set, but worth it for the excellent Reflectativity. I've grown to really dig the solo Creative Music 1 over the years. If you like Smith, buy it.

Reflectativity was the one that interested me most, although Song of Humanity sounds intriguing too. Less convinced by the solo recordings. As the whole set is going for a little over the price of a single CD I may just go for it. Thanks.

Chuck, that would include Spirit Catcher, yes?

• 6 years later...