Jobim

jazzbo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anybody ever runs across any of these (or preferably all of these), grab 'em (Jobim Songbooks on the Lumiar label):

cd_tom1.gif

cd_tom2.gif

cd_tom3.gif

Jobim-songbook3a.JPGJobim-songbook3.JPG <- If anybody can see these two images, let me know... ?

cd_tom4.gif

cd_tom5.gif

One of the best ways for fans of Jobim's music to get more familiar with some great modern Brazilian artists (and veterans too) while marveling at the scope of Jobim's compositional output.

This 2-CD set (also on Lumiar) is dedicated to instrumental interpretations, and is equally as good:

cdsbinstrutom200.jpeg

A bit of a random recommendation in some ways, but I was listening to these today and couldn't resist.

Edited by Jim R

Jim,

Universal is releasing the "Elenco" series and according to the cover stickers they are remastered ones.

some other titles:

Edu e Bethania - 1966 (Edu Lobo & Maria Bethania live)

Tom Jobim - Antonio Carlos Jobim - 1963

Vinicius e Caymmi No Zum - 1964/65 (live performances including Quarteto em Cy, a vocal group)

Roberto Menescal - Surf Board (1965)

Nara Leao - Nara (1964) her first album

Edu Lobo, Quinteto Villa-Lobos, Sylvia Telles, Trio Tamba - Reencontro (1966 - live performance)

A Bossa Nova de Roberto Menescal e seu Conjunto (1963 with Eumir Deodato)

MCO

another great one of Jobim is "Rio Revisited" where Gal Costa sings 2 songs with the band. it was released by Jazzvisions i think.

Jim, are you familiar with Tom Canta Vinicius Ao Vivo?

Marcus, yeah, I have both the CD and the VHS video of RIO REVISITED. Wonderful show, especially to see and hear Gal Costa performing with Jobim's band.

I bought TOM CANTA VINICIUS / AO VIVO immediately upon its release. This was when I really woke up to the artistry of the Morelenbaums (Paula-vocals; and Jaques-cello, for those who may not know). They were part of the Banda Nova, of course, but that was a larger ensemble. This CD provided a great opportunity to hear them in a smaller group. I'm also a very big fan of Danilo Caymmi, who also contributes to this recording. It IS a great CD- very intimate, well recorded, and Jobim expressing his love for his old partner with some beautiful renditions. Highly recommended.

Marcus, do you happen to know anything about the current status of the Lumiar label? After Almir Chediak's tragic death last year, I've wondered if someone will keep the label (and his vision) alive.

Jim, as far as i know the label activities have ceased and i´m not sure we will find in a near future someone so passionate as Chediak was. i´m not sure about the status of the investigations right now but her girlfriend was suspected to be involved on the crime.

moving away from Jobim, are you familiar with a brazilian singer known as Miltinho?

Marcus

• 1 month later...

I forgot to report on this one:

1294531.jpeg

MAN I DIG THIS CD. It's not entirely true that it has NO bossa nova rythm etc. to it. But it has mainly a Keith Jarrett Trio swing and pulse to it like that on "Changeless" for example (perhaps my favorite of the Trio's works!) There ar no bossa nova CLICHES within. It has a wonderful sound and feel, as the melodies are explored in a sort of Wayne Shorter way on the alto sax and a Jarrett or Solal way on the piano. . . . I'm glad to have it!

Edited by jazzbo

Hmmm... I might try to find that D'Andrea CD. I'm always interested in new takes on Jobim. I think pianist Tete Montilui (spelling?) did an all Jobim recording years ago and Jim R. turned me onto Eddie Higgins' all Jobim (except one tune) CD. I picked up an italian pianist doing all Jobim for a japanese label. I got it knowing the sound would be good but I was surprised about how much I enjoyed the performances:

Falando de Amor

Stefano Bollani Trio

Venus Records

Joe C.

Waters of March is one that I've always wanted to do.

That quickly became a favorite of mine when I got the CD entitled "Jobim". What a masterpiece. It is hard to play it right, though! The 3 CD set "The Man From Ipanema" includes some rehearsal footage of Jobim and Elis Regina going over it, and it was hard work.

A few years ago, a fellow missionary who used to be in Brasil exchanged some emails with me, and I was telling him how much I liked Jobim. He gave me a link to a website where there is a chart of that piece in Jobim's handwriting. For starters, it's in B major (after all, he was a guitarist!). There's quite a collection of chord changes. I stuck the chart in front of my wife, who was an excellent reader and classically trained on the piano, but she was really struggling to play it. Ogermann did a superb job of it. It sounds like the vocals were overdubbed, as there are versions in Portuguese and English. I hear that Tom made his own English lyrics; they are brilliant. Such stuff as "A truckload of bricks in the soft morning light" is awesome!

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If anybody ever runs across any of these (or preferably all of these), grab 'em (Jobim Songbooks on the Lumiar label):

cd_tom1.gif

cd_tom2.gif

cd_tom3.gif

cd_tom4.gif

cd_tom5.gif

One of the best ways for fans of Jobim's music to get more familiar with some great modern Brazilian artists (and veterans too) while marveling at the scope of Jobim's compositional output.

Just thought I'd mention that Dusty Groove currently has all five volumes listed on their new arrivals page: http://www.dustygroove.com/new5.htm#2

Man this guy had 100 plus takes of one song on his A&M Wave album. Damn! Joao Pamla, is my favorite musician from the album.

:unsure: Um... the album you're talking about is TIDE, which had a few alt takes :unsure: of one tune on the latest reissue. The drummer was Joao Palma, who was joined by some other percussionists, including Airto Moreira... :unsure:

;)

For those just checking in, please see my post above regarding the Lumiar Jobim Songbooks... :rolleyes:

cd_tom1.gif

cd_tom2.gif

cd_tom3.gif

cd_tom4.gif

cd_tom5.gif

Just thought I'd mention that Dusty Groove currently has all five volumes listed on their new arrivals page: http://www.dustygroove.com/new5.htm#2

Jim- Thanks for posting. Just ordered all five volumes; my first "DG" order ever. Looking forward to this very much.

P.S. "...the bastards"

I've been listening the same old bossa albums for quite some time, and I've been thinking about getting a new infusion of Brazilian music. This seems perfect because it will introduce me to some newer artists on the scene. As you point out the the prices do seem quite reasonable. :tup

Jim R or Sundog-

I would love to add the 5-CD set of Jobim Songbooks on the Lumiar label to my collection. I clicked on the Dusty Groove link which Jim provided (http://www.dustygroove.com/new5.htm#2), and scrolled for an amazing amount of time, never finding that particular set. Would you please be so kind as to provide a direct link to that particular set on Dusty Groove? I'm pretty adept at searching and scrolling, but had absolutely no luck in this instance.

Much more to share later regarding Jobim, Jim R's influence, my recent musical experiences as a drummer, etc.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

I think what happened was that they sold out what copies they had. Fortunately, this is quite common at Dusty Groove, and in most cases they will be getting more in. If you choose to do so, you can also request to be notified by e-mail when they restock those CD's. If you go to this page, you will see a "send request" button. I've used this feature a few times, and it worked very well for me.

Jim R or Sundog-

I would love to add the 5-CD set of Jobim Songbooks on the Lumiar label to my collection. I clicked on the Dusty Groove link which Jim provided (http://www.dustygroove.com/new5.htm#2), and scrolled for an amazing amount of time, never finding that particular set. Would you please be so kind as to provide a direct link to that particular set on Dusty Groove? I'm pretty adept at searching and scrolling, but had absolutely no luck in this instance.

Much more to share later regarding Jobim, Jim R's influence, my recent musical experiences as a drummer, etc.

Thanks,

Ron

Sorry, I was probably the culprit who bought the last set. Listened to the first disc twice now. Very nice, another good recommendation from Jim R.

Thanks, Jim R and Sundog.

I'm headed to the Dusty Groove site to make my wishes known right now. Is $13.99 per volume appropriate for a new copy? Are there ever complete sets sold for a reduced price?

Jim, as you know, you tweaked my already considerable interest in Antonio Carlos Jobim a few years ago, prompting me to go on somewhat of a binge, for which I'm eternally grateful. There are many CDs to thank you for, but among the top ones ... Terra Brasilis and Tide.

I've been a "set drummer" for over 40 years, and have always enjoyed latin-tinged polyrhythms, but have never experienced what I recently enjoyed.

I got a call from a musician friend of mine who's a multi-instrumentalist -- keyboards, guitars, trumpet, flugelhorn, etc. He asked if I'd be interested in rehearsing a few bossa nova songs for an upcoming private gig at a house warming for another musician. I said "sure, I'd love to give it a try." So, I pared down to the most basic "kit" I've ever taken to a gig ... a Gretsch (chrome over brass) snare drum, several favorite shakers, my Hawaiian Ipu, brushes, and bar chimes. We performed three pieces (two from Jobim) with two guitars, percussion and female vocalist to a standing ovation. We may have found a very cool niche for performance in our city. And, at my age, it's also very cool to be packing a much lighter load.

Thanks again, Jim.

Edited by Ron Thorne

Ron, thanks for sharing that info, and I'm glad you're enjoying the music. To answer your questions, yes, $13.99 is appropriate (about the cheapest I've seen); and no, I don't believe these Lumiar discs were ever packaged for sale as complete sets.

=====

For all Jobim fans- I just stumbled onto this page the other day, and was very surprised to see it. Someone has uploaded most (if not all) of the rare photos of Jobim that I have ever seen (including early family photos from his sister Helena's biography, as well as many shots used in the biographical portion of the "Cancioneiro"). Don't miss it- there's no telling how long this will remain available online!

http://brazilcenter.co.kr/bossanova/tomjobim/fotos/