Jobim

jazzbo

I forgot to report on this one:

1294531.jpeg

MAN I DIG THIS CD. It's not entirely true that it has NO bossa nova rythm etc. to it. But it has mainly a Keith Jarrett Trio swing and pulse to it like that on "Changeless" for example (perhaps my favorite of the Trio's works!) There ar no bossa nova CLICHES within. It has a wonderful sound and feel, as the melodies are explored in a sort of Wayne Shorter way on the alto sax and a Jarrett or Solal way on the piano. . . . I'm glad to have it!

Lon: Do you happen to remember what cd this was? (I'm on a Jobim kick right now).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollani's "Falando de Amor" is an all-Jobim disc....

1. Falando de Amor

2. Só Tinha de ser com você

3. Angela

4. Luiza

5. Retrato em branco e preto

6. Agua de beber

7. Tema do amor por Gabriela

8. Cancao do amor demais

9. Aguas de Março

10. Pois e

11. Samba de uma nota so

Haven't heard it myself, but I'd like to! I really love "Bollani carioca."

Edited to add... reissue cover.

51OG8w6pB3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Available on Amazon.com as an MP3 album, also as a disc - and it's on emusic.com, too.

Edited by seeline

• 1 year later...

I played this last night:

fredhersch-jobim+cover.jpg

I could see it earning some flack as virtually all the 'Brazil' vanishes from the tunes. Hersch just uses them as material on which to build his own constructions. But I really enjoyed it - didn't come across as the token bossa record.

In a more idiomatic style I really like these Jobim based discs:

51KOjVDhY9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg511jcdQ8QKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg51M2DK8N57L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A little syrupy in places; but then Jobim's arrangements sometimes did that too.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 3 months later...

As I just discovered (several months late, but better late than never), and posted in another thread, Helena Jobim's 1996 biography of her brother- "Um Homem Illuminado" ("An Illuminated Man")- has at long last been translated into english. I believe it was completed in 2011, and became available earlier this year.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Fv2z_0KZNrUC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://chicagotheband.us/profiles/blogs/antonio-carlos-jobim-an-illuminated-man

I've been complaining about this for so many years, it's hard to believe it finally happened (and that I missed it when it did ^_^ ).

• 2 years later...

I'm almost embarrassed to say this, but I just became aware of this film (stumbled onto it on Youtube). Overall, it isn't necessarily what I would have preferred to see in a tribute film like this, but it's definitely worth watching, particularly for some rare clips of some great artists from around the world interpreting the music...