Movies you wish they'd make

bi-sexuals, cross-dressers, and lesbians of the Harlem Renaissance (or really the whole 20s and 30s period of black entertainment):

Ethel Waters

Zora Neale Hurston

Gladys Bentley

Alberta Hunter

and we can throw in Bessie Smith and more than a few others - if that's your idea of a good time -

and I am not kidding about this one - the sexual liberation of African American women in this period is amazing and fascinating - a time of personal and artistic liberation as well. Great music as well. Perfect for an independent film project -

Edited by AllenLowe

There must be scope for something along the lines of Nick Hornby's 'High Fidelity' based around the strange creatures who hang about jazz bulletin boards.

51RcyayhMIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't know if the movie rights have been secured but, replace the word "jazz" above with "rock", and you've got it!

Edited by BillF

I enjoyed The Long Goodbye as a movie, but not as an adaptation of a Chandler work.

I enjoyed very much both Robert Mitchum Chandler movies. I also enjoyed the few HBO Chandlers that I saw (can't remember the star's name), and would like to see the rest. Maybe they're on DVD.

PS - A search at Amazon shows me that it was Powers Booth, and that all eleven episodes are available on DVD. On to my wish list!

My first exposure to Chandler was through the Powers Booth "Philip Marlow" shows. Still a HUGE Chandler fan until this day!

Best Chandler film is "The Big Lebowski." No question. The Coens capture Chandler's LA perfectly...

I'd love to see an adapation of Pat Jordan's A False Spring, but who would make such a movie?

This is such a great idea, and one I've never thought of before, but it would make a fantastic movie. I'm sure Hollywood would ruin it by adding an epilogue where Jordon and his son (never made clear in the book if it is his or not) have a touching meeting over a Grand Slam at a Denny's. You know Hollywood can't let that one pass.

Well, this is a movie that I think they probably should make, though I would never see it. Here in Chicago, the last of the Cabrini-Green complex has just come down, and Target has expressed interest in building on the site (no joke). It would be very appropriate if they did Candyman 3 set in the Target store built on the site.

I'd love to see an adapation of Pat Jordan's A False Spring, but who would make such a movie?

This is such a great idea, and one I've never thought of before, but it would make a fantastic movie. I'm sure Hollywood would ruin it by adding an epilogue where Jordon and his son (never made clear in the book if it is his or not) have a touching meeting over a Grand Slam at a Denny's. You know Hollywood can't let that one pass.

You're right, of course; if it was made, the result would most likely be very disappointing.

You're right, of course; if it was made, the result would most likely be very disappointing.

Can't tell you how much I love your idea, it really would make a great movie. Wonder if Jordan ever shopped the book around, or made a script of it. I'm trying to remember, but didn't I read somewhere that Jordan is married to Meg Ryan's mother?

Can't tell you how much I love your idea, it really would make a great movie. Wonder if Jordan ever shopped the book around, or made a script of it. I'm trying to remember, but didn't I read somewhere that Jordan is married to Meg Ryan's mother?

Yes. His book, A Nice Tuesday, discusses their marriage.