What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

The estate has created some thorns in that one getting reissued. A friend of mine reissued other titles on Seeds and was planning to do that one as well, all legit, but Lee's heirs made it unfeasible. Too bad, because it's a nice record.

"Spring of 2 Blue-Js" by Cecil Taylor, certainly - it briefly showed up long ago as, apparently, a bootleg recorded off the LP.

Yeah and that CD sucks. Except for the fact it has Spring of 2 Blue-Js on it! It's a muddy needle drop.

The original LP doesn't have the greatest sound, either, in my recollection. But it's a really fine performance.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of all, there needs to be a reissue of "Sunny's Time Now" by Sunny Murray with Albert Ayler, Amiri Baraka, +. It originally appeared on a short-lived label (Jihad?) in the late 60s and was reissued on CD in an extremely limited edition in Japan. But there may be a disagreement about who owns the rights to this.

"Gittin' to Know You-All" on MPS, conducted by Lester Bowie in 1969 - a long big-band piece with well-known Europeans and the Art Ensemble. Short tracks by Karin Krog, Willem Breuker, and Terje Rypdal on that LP, too. Maybe MPS has more from that Baden-Baden festival that wasn't issued - Braxton was there but isn't on the LP, for example.

I haven't heard many of the MPS Albert Manglesdorff solo and quartet LPS, but there's surely major music among them. Kevin Whitehead wrote that the first 2 Willem Breuker Kollektief LPs were on MPS - do they have the fire and inspiration of his 3rd (Berlin) album (it's now a FMP download)? (K.W. recommends them in his book.)

More Europeans that should be reissued: 2 or more Globe Unity Orchestra 1970s albums from Japo, an ECM subsidiary; "The 8th of July 1969" by Gunter Hampel w/Braxton, Breuker, Jeanne Lee, McCall, etc. (Flying Dutchman); Steve Lacy, "Threads" w/Curran, Rzewski (Horo); there's an Evan Parker with Rzewski, too.

Besides being good to terrific music, all of these LPs are historic landmarks.

Most of all, there needs to be a reissue of "Sunny's Time Now" by Sunny Murray with Albert Ayler, Amiri Baraka, +. It originally appeared on a short-lived label (Jihad?) in the late 60s and was reissued on CD in an extremely limited edition in Japan. But there may be a disagreement about who owns the rights to this.

"Gittin' to Know You-All" on MPS, conducted by Lester Bowie in 1969 - a long big-band piece with well-known Europeans and the Art Ensemble. Short tracks by Karin Krog, Willem Breuker, and Terje Rypdal on that LP, too. Maybe MPS has more from that Baden-Baden festival that wasn't issued - Braxton was there but isn't on the LP, for example.

I haven't heard many of the MPS Albert Manglesdorff solo and quartet LPS, but there's surely major music among them. Kevin Whitehead wrote that the first 2 Willem Breuker Kollektief LPs were on MPS - do they have the fire and inspiration of his 3rd (Berlin) album (it's now a FMP download)? (K.W. recommends them in his book.)

More Europeans that should be reissued: 2 or more Globe Unity Orchestra 1970s albums from Japo, an ECM subsidiary; "The 8th of July 1969" by Gunter Hampel w/Braxton, Breuker, Jeanne Lee, McCall, etc. (Flying Dutchman); Steve Lacy, "Threads" w/Curran, Rzewski (Horo); there's an Evan Parker with Rzewski, too.

Besides being good to terrific music, all of these LPs are historic landmarks.

Gittin' was out as a Japanese CD several years ago. But it is excellent and there is a lot more music from those sessions.

The GUO Japos also came out in Japan on CD fairly recently.

Gunter Hampel reissued 8th of July on CD in the 1990s, and according to his website, he still has copies.

Andrea Centazzo has reactivated Ictus and the Parker/Rzewski is available on CD through that channel.

Sonny's Time Now was on Jihad. I'm told the DIW licensing no longer applies, but there are some rights issues with it.

The first two GUO Japo titles are available as downloads. I noticed that Sam Rivers' Contrasts is listed, with a cover image, on the ECM website. Other OOP titles, such as the Bailey-Holland session and Intergalactic Blow, and numerous other Japo titles, get no mention on the site. And others in prep for CD reissue are indicated as such (e.g. Conference of the Birds).

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a turntable after doing without one for some time, and I've been slowly listening my way through my collection. Apologies if I'm arriving too late at this particular party! Here are a few suggestions, bearing in mind the high bar set by the Bill Dixon and Hemphill discs (I don't know the Steig).

Tony Oxley: Ichnos (RCA), with Kenny Wheeler, Paul Rutherford, Evan Parker, Derek Bailey and Barry Guy. Two sextet pieces, two quartets, and a remarkable solo piece. This is the third of his early albums (the other two, The Baptised Traveller and 4 Compositions were both on Columbia and were reissued on CD, albeit briefly, some time ago). As a sequence, they are a key document in British jazz/improv of the late 60's and early 70's. Oxley uses more structured compositional frameworks than was usual in British free jazz at the time, and in retrospect it seems logical that he would later collaborate with Dixon. Parker in particular burns. OK, The Baptised Traveller is probably the stone classic of the three, but Ichnos is very good indeed.

Arthur Blythe: Bush Baby (Bruynincx says Adelphi, but I have a UK LP reissue on a label called Echojazz), with Bob Stewart and Ahkmed Abdullah on congas: His early stuff doesn't seem to have been issued much on CD, and this is one of my favourites. Fierce playing from Blythe and much more varied than the stripped-down instrumentation would suggest. Some of the Columbias, particularly the ones with the tuba/cello/guitar band (eg Elaboration or Light Blue, the Monk album)are also outstanding. In fact the early Columbias would make a great Mosaic project, but that's for another thread...

Mike Gibbs/Gary Burton: In the Public Interest (Polydor). Recorded in NYC with an American band; Burton, Steve Swallow and Michael Brecker are all on song. Arguably Mike's best album, and the title track in particular is for me one of the great modern jazz big band performances. Seven Songs, the other Gibbs/Burton collaboration with the NDR orchestra has also never been issued on CD, but it's ECM and I understand that this may be problematic.

Welcome!

Bush Baby is a real fine one; I don't know who is handling the Adelphi catalog but they did some real nice jazz & blues titles back in the 70s. Don't know the Gibbs LP, but I can tell you that a legit Ichnos reissue (vinyl only) is in the planning stages - or at least it was last year when I talked to the gentleman who bought the tapes.

a legit Ichnos reissue (vinyl only) is in the planning stages - or at least it was last year when I talked to the gentleman who bought the tapes.

Good news, even if it's vinyl only. I'll watch developments with interest!

Titles i'd love to see on cd:

Ornette Coleman-Crisis-one of the great live concerts.I've been told that Ornette owns the copyright/masters on this.If true,i hope this sees the light of day soon.The world needs to hear just how superb this record is.

Several titles released in the 70's on Jef Gilson's Palm label...

1.Byard Lancaster-Us-with Sylvain Marc-electric bass and Steve McCall-drums

2.Khan Jamal-Give The Vibes Some-i recall a trumpet player on one track and the rest solo vibes by Khan.

3.Bakaida E.J. Carroll-Orange Fish Tears-with Oliver Lake,Nana Vasconcelos and a keyboard player whose name escapes me.

Ran Blake: The Blue Potato (Milestone). I know there are a lot of Blake albums out there, but this one is special. The idiom sounds really fresh and bracing, and if I wanted one LP that summarised what Ran brought to the party in terms of a very personal rethinking of jazz solo piano, then this would be it. Oddly never on CD (that I know of) considering the in depth reissue programme the Fantasy group has undertaken over the years. I'm also a fan of Newest Sound, but that has been around on CD.

Some second votes for some albums mentioned above.

Crisis: A stone classic, pure and simple, with or without additional material.

Spring of 2 Blue Jays: (I only have the lousy needle-drop bootleg CD, and although I'm not an audiophile it still sounds really rough to me). 20 minutes of solo, 20 minutes of quartet; a nicely balanced old-fashioned LP (but the music certainly ain't old-fashioned). In a way, it's a concise summary of where Cecil was at at the time; the solo playing relates to the great solo albums like Indent and Silent Tongues, while the quartet looks back to Student Studies but before he moved on to the great sextet music of the later seventies (the New World albums and Live in the Black Forest). BTW I'm guessing there's a lot more music from the concert; I remember Cecil playing VERY long sets in the early 70s; but there aren't any obvious edit points that I can remember so who knows. No idea who owns the rights, much less the master tapes. Cecil himself?

Lots of intriguing suggestions of albums I don't know (Caliman, Carroll, Jamal Khan, Byard Lancaster).

Can I add that I think this is an amazing undertaking, John!

Good news-Walt Dickerson- 1976-originally released on WhyNot way back when, is coming out on cd this month on Candid.The tracks are(if i read the notes correctly) a duo with Jamaladeen Tacuma(then Rudy McDaniel) on electric bass; a solo vibes track; and three trios with Wilbur Ware-bass and Edgar Bateman-drums.Very curious about this because i never owned it on vinyl,and if i knew it existed back then i would have snapped it up.

Good news-Walt Dickerson- 1976-originally released on WhyNot way back when, is coming out on cd this month on Candid.The tracks are(if i read the notes correctly) a duo with Jamaladeen Tacuma(then Rudy McDaniel) on electric bass; a solo vibes track; and three trios with Wilbur Ware-bass and Edgar Bateman-drums.Very curious about this because i never owned it on vinyl,and if i knew it existed back then i would have snapped it up.

Excllent news...that's a fantastic record. :tup

Okay, I'm very late to the party and am an infrequent poster here but just stumbled upon this thread and am finding it really interesting.

When I think about great music AND economic viability for a reissue the very first album that comes to mind is this:

3176589.jpg

Mtume Umoja Ensemble - Alkebu-Lan: Land of the Blacks

An amazing record with Stanley Cowell, Leroy Jenkins, Gary Bartz, Carlos Garnett, Buster Williams, Billy Hart, etc...

This is one of the most sought-after Strata East records. I would think it's pretty much guaranteed that the Strata East fans would jump all over this. Oh yeah, and the music KILLS.

Edited by webbcity

Excllent news...that's a fantastic record. :tup

I actually saw this at the local Amoeba already.