What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All, as I look to the future, I'd like to have you all weigh in on your opinion of Jan Garbarek's The Esoteric Circle as a possible reissue. I ask because right now I'm leasing rights from Ace Records UK and they own the rights to the Garbarek performance. So it would be relatively easy. The question is quality of performance. I know it is at least a very good performance. I love many parts of it. But this is not a shoe-in like Hemphill, Dixon, Tapscott and Carter for me. I need some other views here. So would appreciate your weigh ins on this. I know there might be other performances I would put before this but with the opportunity to lease it at hand, I bring up this possibility now. Thanks. Yes, it is on CD in Japan but not widely available.

It's a cool record and I enjoy it, but it's not a shoe-in for me either. I feel the same way about all the Garbarek/Rypdal LPs from that early era - really, really strong but not with that extra "oomph." Til Vigdis is pretty sick, but it may be harder to find a license for (early private pressing) and a level of common interest.

I could see it, but could definitely see others before it.

The Fischer & Steig sets are fairly obscure but were reissued on the strength of your intense admiration of them. Both are records I never would have checked out without your word. If you see the Garabek-- which I haven't heard-- as good rather than essential, then don't do it just for ease. I'm sure there's another neglected work out there you believe in more.

I could see it, but could definitely see others before it.

The Fischer & Steig sets are fairly obscure but were reissued on the strength of your intense admiration of them. Both are records I never would have checked out without your word. If you see the Garabek-- which I haven't heard-- as good rather than essential, then don't do it just for ease. I'm sure there's another neglected work out there you believe in more.

+1

Thank you all. I think we are all tracking. It is a very good performance but not quite there in the same league as what I try to do. Fischer is a work of genius and Steig is just an outstanding performance rarely heard and I think as good as flute gets in jazz. So I had no hesitation with them. This Garbarek thing is another matter. So I'll sit tight for now on that and get out the ones I have. Well last night I listened to the Tapscott performance again The Giant Awakens on the digital transfer we made and it sure sounds good. It is not a great audio recording but not too bad and the playing is just fabulous. Now that one I adore.

Thanks again to everyone who weighed in. In a year I'm either going to stop putting out reissues or have to find another after the Daley trio stuff. "All" I have left is: Steig Flute Fever, Tapscott The Giant Is Awakened, Carter Bradford Self Determination Music and then Daley Live At Newport. Well on second thought that is a good two years of issues as I tend to put out 1 or 2 reissues a year.

Edited by JLH

"All" I have left is: Steig Flute Fever, Tapscott The Giant Is Awakened, Carter Bradford Self Determination Music and then Daley Live At Newport. Well on second thought that is a good two years of issues as I tend to put out 1 or 2 reissues a year.

Just a word of enthusiasm/encouragement: I've gladly bought everything you've done thus far (Dogon AD is best reissue of the decade!), and I look forward to everything you list here in your line-up, especially the Joe Daley sides!

Edited by Hank