What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still waiting for a substantial number of Xanadu LPs to be reissued on CD for the first time..

The word was that Don Schlitten was not in favor of reissuing his material on CD.

Yet about 35 or so Xanadu LPs have been reissued on CD on a few different labels?

Do the master tapes still exist? All the reissues have been needle-drops.

Thank you all. I think we are all tracking. It is a very good performance but not quite there in the same league as what I try to do. Fischer is a work of genius and Steig is just an outstanding performance rarely heard and I think as good as flute gets in jazz. So I had no hesitation with them. This Garbarek thing is another matter. So I'll sit tight for now on that and get out the ones I have. Well last night I listened to the Tapscott performance again The Giant Awakens on the digital transfer we made and it sure sounds good. It is not a great audio recording but not too bad and the playing is just fabulous. Now that one I adore.

Thanks again to everyone who weighed in. In a year I'm either going to stop putting out reissues or have to find another after the Daley trio stuff. "All" I have left is: Steig Flute Fever, Tapscott The Giant Is Awakened, Carter Bradford Self Determination Music and then Daley Live At Newport. Well on second thought that is a good two years of issues as I tend to put out 1 or 2 reissues a year.

"The Giant Awakens" will be my reissue of the year - cannot wait to hear it!!

Not sure your efforts are the right venue, but since you have an "in" with 1201 Music, it would be wonderful to have a properly-presented set of Monk's Black Lion recordings.

What's wrong with the way they're presented by Black Lion?

AFAIK, they're long OOP.

Plenty of used/new copies available at Amazon and ebay

Thank you all. I think we are all tracking. It is a very good performance but not quite there in the same league as what I try to do. Fischer is a work of genius and Steig is just an outstanding performance rarely heard and I think as good as flute gets in jazz. So I had no hesitation with them. This Garbarek thing is another matter. So I'll sit tight for now on that and get out the ones I have. Well last night I listened to the Tapscott performance again The Giant Awakens on the digital transfer we made and it sure sounds good. It is not a great audio recording but not too bad and the playing is just fabulous. Now that one I adore.

Thanks again to everyone who weighed in. In a year I'm either going to stop putting out reissues or have to find another after the Daley trio stuff. "All" I have left is: Steig Flute Fever, Tapscott The Giant Is Awakened, Carter Bradford Self Determination Music and then Daley Live At Newport. Well on second thought that is a good two years of issues as I tend to put out 1 or 2 reissues a year.

"The Giant Awakens" will be my reissue of the year - cannot wait to hear it!!

Yeah, it is a wonderful record. I have this and the other FD titles on vinyl, but completely support JLH's efforts to get them out on CD in excellent sound. Looking forward to the Joe Daley boxed set (only have the single vinyl LP) and Flute Fever (which I've never had or heard).

Edited by clifford_thornton

Gee never heard of Joe Harriott's Hum Dono. I see a copy sold for some $1500.00 on eBay. So not sure how to hear this.

didn't know it was worth that much!!

maybe one of the board members has a copy

This session/LP needs a CD issue

The Dutton Vocalion threads have endless pontifications and wet dream wishes concerning the CD issue of this LP. Truly bizarre that the likes of Vocalion have not yet re-issued it.

It's a great session !

Edited by sidewinder

"Hum Dono" is a great suggestion!

Btw, is the Daley going to be a box now, for sure? I'll be all over it regardless, but would absolutely be for the complete/box version!

Oh, and the Carter/Bradford is finally on its way to me ... I've heard it in very lacking quality, will be great to have it in what I'm sure will be another gorgeous package!

Gee never heard of Joe Harriott's Hum Dono. I see a copy sold for some $1500.00 on eBay. So not sure how to hear this.

didn't know it was worth that much!!

maybe one of the board members has a copy

This session/LP needs a CD issue

The Dutton Vocalion threads have endless pontifications and wet dream wishes concerning the CD issue of this LP. Truly bizarre that the likes of Vocalion have not yet re-issued it.

It's a great session !

I just assumed the masters were lost. It is a great album. I offered someone on the board $1000 years ago and it was probably lowballing even then.

Hum-Dono has Norma Winstone - always a plus from my perspective. On the other hand, Ian Carr's presence on 'Integration' really adds to that one too.

I think Clifford is probably correct - the masters of 'Hum-Dono' must be lost. Mind you, they said that about Windmill Tilter.

One I've longed for on CD is Sonny Simmons - 'Rumasuma', originally on Contemporary. Don't think Concord's gonna put it out for me :w

Long overdue for reissue. Can't understand the negative reviews out there for this one - it's excellent.

One I've longed for on CD is Sonny Simmons - 'Rumasuma', originally on Contemporary. Don't think Concord's gonna put it out for me :w

Yes, I've always wondered why this has never had a CD re-issue. His, later, "Burning Spirits" album, again on Contemporary, has been out on CD since 2003.