2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGANDO!!!

Yeah, the obvious story is Hamilton & Cruz both stepping back in and going yard, good GOD have they been missed, but for this team and what it's going to really need, hey -

OGANDO!!!

Who knew? He was an emergency fill-in for Tommy Hunter, wasn't really stretched out, and prone to blisters. Now he's a serious All-Star consideration. And tonight, a nifty five-hit, 115 pitch complete game shutout, still throwing strong at the end. Yeah, it's not quite a third of the way through the season, and yeah, there's been more than a few young starters burn brightly and quickly and then flare out, never to really return (Cecil Upshaw, anybody?), and sure, the Yankess schooled him bigtime & hopefully he learned from that, but hey, this guy right now is looking like the real deal, and if he ain't, I'll take him until the real thing comes along. Either way -

OGANDO!!!

File from the Wayback machine...

Johnny Bench ready to be Baseball's first $100k catcher

$100K????? He would get $25M today.

And be worth every penny of it, I think!

25 million puts him in Alex Rodriguez' neighborhood.

Bench OPS+ over his career was 126.

A-Rod is at 145 (Bench OPS+ exceeded 145 in exactly one season).

Not even sure if Bench's defensive prowess makes up for that much, as A-Rod was a pretty damn good defender at a premium position, until he deferred to St Jeter.

We interrupt this statistical analysis for this newsflash:

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

IF DANIEL BARD DOESN'T START GETTING HIS FUCKING SHIT TOGETHER, THEY ARE ROYALLY FUCKED, JUST AS I SAID THEY WERE TWO MONTHS AGO.

Edited by Dan Gould

A few thank yous are in order. :party:

1. Thanks to ESPN for finally putting MLB's best [Cleveland Indians] on a national broadcast. Of course it had to include Bosox or Yanks. Hopefully, we won't have to wait until NYY for the next one.

2. Thanks to the StL Cards for shipping Chris Perez to Cleveland in exchange for Mark DeRosa. Perez certainly has a bit of that Wickman/Borowski make-your-stomach-do-flips mojo. Why not put guys on first and third so that you need to get a double play out of the fastest guy in the Bosox lineup? Better to be lucky than good. Best to be lucky and good.

3. Thanks to the Seattle Mariners for shipping Asdrubal Cabrera to the Tribe in exchange for Eduardo Perez. Starting AL All-Star at short better not be wearing pinstripes this year.

4. Thanks to Orlando Cabrera for being a good luck charm, and for helping ACab discover his power.

5. Thanks to manager Francona for not pitching around ACab. Ultimate respect for Choo, who arguably was the best position player in Cleveland before the season started. But Choo has been struggling almost the entire season. And Asdrubal is something like 8 out of his last 9 with 3 HRs and a double.

Looked like it was going to be another tough luck loss for the Big Masty. He lost 1-0 to Jake Peavy in his last start. Buchholz was way tough. Tribe could barely get the ball out of the infield. But they found a way. Kind of a must win given that multiple-personality disorder Fausto will be going against Beckett and then Toby Namedlater against that Lester guy.

25 million puts him in Alex Rodriguez' neighborhood.

Bench OPS+ over his career was 126.

A-Rod is at 145 (Bench OPS+ exceeded 145 in exactly one season).

Not even sure if Bench's defensive prowess makes up for that much, as A-Rod was a pretty damn good defender at a premium position, until he deferred to St Jeter.

Give me a catcher of Bench's arm and acumen and bat, and I'll give you one A-Rod or any other infielder. Give me all that plus Bench's character, and I'll give you all the A-Rods you want!

Give me a world-class catcher and I'm two steps closer to having a solid, stable team that can be built to last.

Holy fuck-a-roni Batman, the M's give up more runs in one game than in a week and still win! I so wish Smoak's first name was Johnny just because of the Butthole Surfers song. If he were John rather Justin I could say that "John was a little crippled midget lesbian boy but stood ten foot tall with a knife..." and it keeps going from there, but instead his name is Justin so I can't quote more of the song from Hairway To Steven. :lol: Still just 1.5 back despite being a losing team. God I love the MLB unfair unbalanced schedule!

A few thank yous are in order. :party:

1. Thanks to ESPN for finally putting MLB's best [Cleveland Indians] on a national broadcast. Of course it had to include Bosox or Yanks. Hopefully, we won't have to wait until NYY for the next one.

2. Thanks to the StL Cards for shipping Chris Perez to Cleveland in exchange for Mark DeRosa. Perez certainly has a bit of that Wickman/Borowski make-your-stomach-do-flips mojo. Why not put guys on first and third so that you need to get a double play out of the fastest guy in the Bosox lineup? Better to be lucky than good. Best to be lucky and good.

3. Thanks to the Seattle Mariners for shipping Asdrubal Cabrera to the Tribe in exchange for Eduardo Perez. Starting AL All-Star at short better not be wearing pinstripes this year.

4. Thanks to Orlando Cabrera for being a good luck charm, and for helping ACab discover his power.

5. Thanks to manager Francona for not pitching around ACab. Ultimate respect for Choo, who arguably was the best position player in Cleveland before the season started. But Choo has been struggling almost the entire season. And Asdrubal is something like 8 out of his last 9 with 3 HRs and a double.

Looked like it was going to be another tough luck loss for the Big Masty. He lost 1-0 to Jake Peavy in his last start. Buchholz was way tough. Tribe could barely get the ball out of the infield. But they found a way. Kind of a must win given that multiple-personality disorder Fausto will be going against Beckett and then Toby Namedlater against that Lester guy.

Well said Patrick!!!

A good day for all things Giant-ic!

But Beri, your Braves...those damn Angels!

You know what's funny??? for some reason, we played them last year as well, and we sucked before coming to L.A. and we got there and beat them like a drum, which I never would have guessed...I guess it was payback for last year this time.

And now Nate McLouth and Jason Heyward are on the DL, Tim Hudson is skipping at least a start with back troubles, and 39 Y.O. Chipper has a slight tear in his Minis...menisk, a knee issue.

And Dan Uggla is trying to be this years Andruw Jones/Jeff Francoeur, a guy who used to hit, how now is a complete sucker for a 2 strike pitch a foot outside. Very weird. We just can't hit, walk or steal. Other than that, we are great. 3rd in the majors in ERA. Who cares??? Everyone knows baseball is about about 3 things, Hitting, hitting and hitting! :crazy:

And speaking of 39 Year olds(or soon to be 39) Hey Phillie fans, guess who's hitting .333 for the month of May??? RAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :P

Great walkoff win by the Yanks tonight! Man, that felt like a 2009 game... so glad to see Posada jumpstart the 9th with that pinch-hit double (and then run out to join the celebration after Tex's gamewinning hit). And Curtis Granderson... Curtis Freakin' Granderson! :excited::tup

Edited by ghost of miles

Crazy night at The Ballpark last night...

Charlie (my son) & I got some last second free tickets to the game, very last second, we got there in the bottom of the 2nd…ended up being quite the experience, what with gale-force winds, rain, hail, tornadoes being reported in the area, a total lockdown of the ballpark,and the surreptitious escape we made to get away from it all.

The rain started at about 8:15-8:30, after the third, and it was relentless. Then came hail. Radar showed more on the way, so about 9:10 we decided to book out. After how quickly they called the Oakland game a few weeks ago, I was thinking this one would get called as well (wished it would have, since we were behind after 3…). We stayed until about 9:10 then decided to head home, and that was about 15 seconds before they locked all the gates b/c of a tornado warning for the area. I mean, we were like 15 feet away from the main gates and CLANG, Lockdown At The Ballpark!

That was when the REAL fun started…Staff was mostly ushers (which means old folks who are always happy to see you) and a few more "official types. They started asking people to "go to the lower level", meaning not even on the main concourse. They wanted everybody underground. Well, some went, and some didn't, and nobody really had any guns to make anybody do anything, so..it was what it was. We decided to move with the group that was moving, we figured they'd know where they were going at some point, and we'd eventually get an all clear to get back to business.

Didn't happen that way.

We walked, and walked, and walked, and then walked some more, even after we got underground, we walked. Saw a bunch of stuff that I never knew was there. Unfortunately, to say that it was hot and stuffy is putting it mildly...

But finally we felt a breeze, a nice cool strong one. We followed that, and lo - there was a tunnel with a bus at the end of it. And the bus was parked outdoors. And there was one - one - City of Arlington Fire Marshall hanging around not too strongly asking about 150-200 people scattered all over the place to please go back away from the tunnel and get back inside.

Well...

There was no rain, no lightening, no gale-force wind, so when this Fire Marshal turned his back, we figured, hey, there's a couple hundred of us, only one of him, so unless and until he calls for backup and/or the weather looks truly nasty, we're just gonna eeeeeease on out of here as inconspicuously as possible and head for the car, which proved to be do-able with zero resistance.

Once we got outside, I looked around, and our parking lot was literally across the street. Literally. About 30 feet away. We had walked, underground, out of the ballpark proper, under one street, under one massive service area, and had emerged right where we had parked. EX-cellent!

They resumed the game around 11:45 or so, just after I had gotten home and was crawling into bed. I watched it, but it was kind of a joke. Both starting pitchers were out, we used our most ineffective relievers, and...ugh. But the offense is back. Only good things can come from that. Holland was off last night, but right now, he's the only one in the rotation who is, and only good things can come from that, too. The bullpen, though....god help us on that...

Before the delay, though, It was wild. The foul poles were, like, DANCING, the wind was so strong. Debris was hovering up in the air like UFOs .Nellie hit a ball that looked and sounded like it was going yard, and all of a sudden it just stopped. Actually blew back in a few inches, and then dropped harmlessly like a little pop up. Chalk dust blowing all up in people's faces and stuff. Wild.

Oh well, free tickets, nothing lost except a little gas and a little time, and we both got stories to tell about it. I told Charlie that in 30years, when he’s my age, he’ll be telling his kids and maybe grandkids all about it. Nothing sucks more than getting old and not having any stories totell, ya’ know?

However...I do need somebody to reconcile how this game was handled and how the Oakland rainout was handled. That shit just ain't right...

Wow Jim, that's amazing! Glad you and your Son got away, aok. A story you two can tell forever.

A really sad story I heard in Joplin, was that some people were trying to get back home Mom/daughter in one car, Father/son behind, in a Hummer. Somehow, the Son was sucked out of the sunroof of the Hummer, and hasn't been seen since. 6 foot 4, just graduated from H.S.

until this storm, I would have thought you were pretty safe in a car...

Wow Jim, that's amazing! Glad you and your Son got away, aok. A story you two can tell forever.

A really sad story I heard in Joplin, was that some people were trying to get back home Mom/daughter in one car, Father/son behind, in a Hummer. Somehow, the Son was sucked out of the sunroof of the Hummer, and hasn't been seen since. 6 foot 4, just graduated from H.S.

until this storm, I would have thought you were pretty safe in a car...

You're really only as safe as your location, unfortunately... Tornadoes are nasty.

Us, we were at no real risk, I'm convinced. There were no warning sirens going off, which should have been the case if there had been a tornado in the immediate Arlington area. I understand the Rangers' organizations concerns for public safety, but by every visible indicator "a tornado in the area" did not mean anywhere dangerously close to the ballpark. As it turns, out that was exactly the case. Tell you what, though, before we pulled out of the parking lot, I checked the radio to see what was going on where. I was not going that way!

Been going to ballgames since 1965 and this is my first bad-weather experience (granted, for years the Astrodome was where I saw them, so, nothing there!). We hated to leave, but on a work night and with about another 90 or so minutes of rain coming up, we just couldn't. I felt like such a wimp, especially when I went to bed and the game was just resuming. Oh well...

Dan Gould,

We gave you one yesterday, but today your boys are spanking the Tribe. Ouch!!!

You were given one on Monday, this should have been a sweep and we'd be talking about the first-place Red Sox.

What happened Monday? I thought the most controversial call was Ellsbury safe at first.

2-1 lead in the eighth inning? Pitching to the hottest hitter on the team with the score tied? The Red Sox can't afford to lose any winnable games the rest of the way, and that one was as brutal in its own way as the 8 run inning they gave up to the Cubs last weekend.

Geez Loueez, these weekday day games are killing me. I work from home hoping for a nice relaxing day. Hasn't happened since the very first one in Detroit.

Anyway...pitcher's duel today (or tired players after last night's affair, who knows?) CJ goes strong but works too fast for his own good in this humidity & here comes the bullshitpen.

Refreshingly enough, there was a happy ending. The All New Mark Lowe continued to impress, and Dammit Darren Oliver actually got the job done today. Halladabbledewyah!

So Neffi comes in, throws one pitch, gets one out, and then, again, loses the strike zone. Walks two. Ian botches an over the shoulder popup but still gets the force at second. Neffi loses the zone again but finally gets the next hitter on a mild fly to center.

It shouldn't be this hard. It just should not be this hard.

Something ain't right with Neftali Feliz right now. It's gonna be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong season unless and until...

But hey, a 2-1 win after all that? In a game where we get outhit 6-3? I'll take it!

Edited by JSngry

Once we got outside, I looked around, and our parking lot was literally across the street. Literally. About 30 feet away. We had walked, underground, out of the ballpark proper, under one street, under one massive service area, and had emerged right where we had parked. EX-cellent!

Indeed! You need to draw a map and maybe you'll be able to backtrack & get into games for free in the future. ;) One gale of a tale!

Edited by Quincy

If only it would be that easy... HA!

Funniest part of the whole thing was, about halfway through the Descent Into The Ballpark, I asked an usher, "hey, it there a final stopping point for all this?". Meaning, when do we get to where we're going to stop and wait for further instructions. Well, this guy was pretty frazzled, because he said, "Sir, there's a tornado in the area. We're not worried about a final stopping point right now." He thought I was talking about the rain delay & when/if the game would be called or not! Poor guy...