2011 MLB Season

Great milestone for Mo Rivera today: first pitcher ever to appear in 1000 games for a single team. Incredible! And Jeter's only 24 hits away from reaching the 3000 mark. Definitely good to savor these moments, especially after Pettitte hung up his glove without taking a retirement lap, and after Posada's struggles and unhappiness this year (things hopefully improving on that front), which will almost certainly be his last. Also good to see Andruw Jones hitting two HRs today in a Yankees uniform... man, I still remember that guy giving me absolute fits during the 1996 World Series, when he was a 19-yr-old rookie for the Braves. Glad to see him knocking them out for us now, as opposed to against us.

And hey, I thought the AL East was tight, what with NY/Boston/TB all within 1.5 games of one another, and the last-place Orioles only 4 back... but take a look at the AL West right now:

Texas Rangers 26 24 .520 --

Los Angeles Angels 25 25 .500 1.0

Seattle Mariners 24 25 .490 1.5

Oakland Athletics 23 26 .469 2.5

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... but take a look at the AL West right now:

Yeah, A's vs Angels tonight, C'mon A's, the AL West can only handle one team over .500!

Edited by JSngry

If only it would be that easy... HA!

Deadspin report on the Texas storm. Aside from the ominous cloud photo there's a 7 minute video about the weather.

Wow, they were walking people in on the warning track...that's wild...from the Ch 4 timestamp, that was about 5 minutes after we got the gates closed on us and we started following whoever was moving to wherever they were going.

But that cloud photo - we were seated with our back to that, and down low enough that we didn't even notice it, at least not it being that huge. Probably for the best, although, really, I've lived in this weather for so long that my severe weather anxiety has done a, not quite 180, more like a 165. It's gotta be pretty much in my face hardcore before I worry these days, and this was never that. Thank god!

Great milestone for Mo Rivera today: first pitcher ever to appear in 1000 games for a single team. Incredible! And Jeter's only 24 hits away from reaching the 3000 mark. Definitely good to savor these moments, especially after Pettitte hung up his glove without taking a retirement lap, and after Posada's struggles and unhappiness this year (things hopefully improving on that front), which will almost certainly be his last. Also good to see Andruw Jones hitting two HRs today in a Yankees uniform... man, I still remember that guy giving me absolute fits during the 1996 World Series, when he was a 19-yr-old rookie for the Braves. Glad to see him knocking them out for us now, as opposed to against us.

And hey, I thought the AL East was tight, what with NY/Boston/TB all within 1.5 games of one another, and the last-place Orioles only 4 back... but take a look at the AL West right now:

I think Andruw should be in the starting lineup in place of Swisher. Swisher will not be a Yankee next year, guaranteed.

The Yankees have a $10 million+ option on Swisher next year with a $1 million buyout--is that correct? I know he's off to a terrible start this year, but I'm not ready to give up on him just yet. He's given us two pretty good years to date, and I'm still hopeful that he'll amp it up as the season goes on. He's been abysmal so far this year, no argument on that, though I still think he brings some much-needed levity to the team. Whether or not we should keep him on after 2012 is a whole 'nother question, given that he'll turn 32 & will probably want more years than the Yankees would be willing to give. That's all contingent, of course, on his showing a big improvement over the course of this season. If he ends this year having batted .220-.230 with less than 20 HRs, yeah, hard to argue that he should be the starting rightfielder.

Buster Posey gone for the year?

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/5/26/2191037/buster-posey-injury-giants-leg

Damn....that sucks....

Yep, out for the season. :(

Can someone explain to me how sliding hard, and late, 3 feet wide of 2nd with mere fingertips reaching for the bag=good clean slide.

Running full force into the blind side of a crouching catcher, who had the ball long before you were close to home(I haven't actually seen the play that ended Posey's season, just an example)= Clean play

Running down the 1st base line and swatting at the 1st baseman's glove=terrible, very ghey play that either gets you derided forever (ARod) or in the case of Robert Fick, in 2004, cost him his job with the braves???

Just don't get it.

Edited by BERIGAN

Very poor judgment, a lack of skills & refinement. This needs to be addressed by MLB in general and the Marlins in particular.

Back in the day, I would expect payback at some point. Today? I don't know...but Bochy ewas a catcher himself, so I gotta think that he's feeling this one even more than he would another player's injury.

Here's hoping that Posey recovers fully and does not become another Ray Fosse.

Totally disagree. If he picks the throw clean, he's out on a feet first slide, unless its of the hook variety. Look at the video and where his feet are when Posey turns to him to place the tag. The right play is to come in the way he did, its just an unfortunate fact that the guy's foot planted underneath him before he was bowled over.

Its an unfortunate injury that catchers risk every day, not a dirty play at all.

Posey is definitely blocking the plate. I think the rule should be that the runner is safe even if he is tagged out in this instance due to catcher interference. The runner should not be encouraged by present rules to run over the catcher with the prospect of dislodging the ball.

On a happier note, the Red Sox are about to move into a virtual tie with the Yankees for first place in the East, and might, despite losing ten of twelve at the start of the season, beat the Yankees to 30 wins. Crawford is on fire the last two games, Ortiz is over .300 at the latest point in the season since 2007, and the replacements for Dice-K and Lackey have made three starts and given up three runs total.

If they had gone 6-6 instead of 2-12 at the start, they'd be 34-16.

And they'd still have to have an incredible season to reach 100 wins given where they started.

Agree w/ Dan & Neal on the Posey play. Sucks for him but if you're going to block the plate that's the risk you take. And what's up w/ #59 trying to hit the runner w/ his glove??

Edit: Also agree that MLB definitely needs to change the rule RE: blocking the plate.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Edit: Also agree that MLB definitely needs to change the rule RE: blocking the plate.

A rule change would make sense to me.

For one thing, even in a situation where a runner goes from home to first inside the line and blocks a throw to first from the catcher, it's ruled interference by the runner. It is much more of an interference when a catcher is blocking home plate and gives the runner from third no option but to collide and try to dislodge the ball. By the way, this can injure either the runner OR the catcher. It is dangerous for both. The catcher is never jumping away at the last second to avoid the slide and collision in self-protection the way a second basemen or shortstop may do in a double play situation, etc.

We can't eliminate all dangers from the game, nor should we, but it is worth remembering that we are also not in the 1910s anymore, when players were much smaller and lighter and the danger of these kinds of collisions was much less than it is today. The rule today is allowing for football-like contact, but without the padding for the runner, at the very least.

Edited by Neal Pomea

How about adding a dodgeball element and make it so that if the catcher pegs the runner with the ball on the way home, the runner's out?

Even better - double outs if you get him in either the face or crotch, lose an out if you get him in the back. But if you miss, the runner gets a free throw at anybody on the field, and they have to stand there and take it. And if they don't, the runner gets a second throw into the opponent's bench. No exemptions, except for maybe trainers. Just as you don't bomb hospitals in wartime, you don't throw madballs at trainers. On this, we must insist.

I say we try this out at the 1A level first, weed out the wimps before too much money gets invested in them. That can't help but bring ticket prices down, so hey - win-win!

Buster Posey gone for the year?

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/5/26/2191037/buster-posey-injury-giants-leg

Damn....that sucks....

Yep, out for the season. :(

Can someone explain to me how sliding hard, and late, 3 feet wide of 2nd with mere fingertips reaching for the bag=good clean slide.

Running full force into the blind side of a crouching catcher, who had the ball long before you were close to home(I haven't actually seen the play that ended Posey's season, just an example)= Clean play

Running down the 1st base line and swatting at the 1st baseman's glove=terrible, very ghey play that either gets you derided forever (ARod) or in the case of Robert Fick, in 2004, cost him his job with the braves???

Just don't get it.

In High School ball, he'd be out and tossed from the game.

I guess the going-nowhere Marlins are more concerned with winning a stupid game than they are in destroying a man's career.

That Dodger thug who beat up a Giants fan and the legions of other haters, must be very proud.

Sad.

Totally disagree. If he picks the throw clean, he's out on a feet first slide, unless its of the hook variety. Look at the video and where his feet are when Posey turns to him to place the tag. The right play is to come in the way he did, its just an unfortunate fact that the guy's foot planted underneath him before he was bowled over.

Its an unfortunate injury that catchers risk every day, not a dirty play at all.

His foot wasn't planted, Dan. Look at the video Noj posted.

The guy lowered his shoulder and went after the player, not the plate.

Posey is definitely blocking the plate. I think the rule should be that the runner is safe even if he is tagged out in this instance due to catcher interference. The runner should not be encouraged by present rules to run over the catcher with the prospect of dislodging the ball.

Posey was CLEARLY off to the right and not blocking anything.

Watch the video Noj posted.

Not sure I'd want to be a Giants fan right now. Buster Posey is a huge part of that team both on the field and in the clubhouse. Major buzz kill. I notice we haven't heard from either GoodSpeak or Matthew They must still be in the recovery room.

No.

Been busy.

It was dirty play. No doubt about it.

Posey.gif.opt_medium.gif

Seems pretty dirty to me. He could have gone in feet first and scored in front of any tag. But, I think that's how baserunners are coached to break up throws to the plate...

Please note the runner went off the baseline and directly at Posey.

I hope he gets fined, beaned in his next at bat and/or blackballed.

Edited by GoodSpeak

How about adding a dodgeball element and make it so that if the catcher pegs the runner with the ball on the way home, the runner's out?

Even better - double outs if you get him in either the face or crotch, lose an out if you get him in the back. But if you miss, the runner gets a free throw at anybody on the field, and they have to stand there and take it. And if they don't, the runner gets a second throw into the opponent's bench. No exemptions, except for maybe trainers. Just as you don't bomb hospitals in wartime, you don't throw madballs at trainers. On this, we must insist.

I say we try this out at the 1A level first, weed out the wimps before too much money gets invested in them. That can't help but bring ticket prices down, so hey - win-win!

How about we play cross out at home plate? C'mon, baseball is not a contact sport, but collisions at home plate have been part of the game since day one. The short hop pick and the plate block are part of the catcher's equipment. I doubt that Posey will have anything derogatory to say about what happened. As unfortunate as it is, it's part of the game. Next thing you know, they won't let base runners break up a double play with a hard rolling slide into second. Give me a break.

If you want to talk about deliberate attempts to injure, go back and watch Pete Rose effectively end Ray Fosse's career with his flying tackle at the All-Star game in 1970. And that was a game that didn't even count.

Seriously, I can see both sides of the issue here. Catcher's got a right to defend, runner's got a right to get to it. Me, I've always been more a fan of going for the hands, the glove, than just slamming a rutherfordium. Not often will you pound it out of him. But if you can kick and/or spike the arms and hands to either disrupt a catch in progress or one that's already been completed, hey, go for that, because that's a more "moveable" area than some stump already hunkered down.

Unfortunately for Posey, though, he was anything but hunkered down (nor is he a stump, let the record show). He just kinda turned around into a trainwreck without the ball in his hand, and I wonder if he knew exactly where the runner was and how fast he had been coming? Maybe not, he was focused on the ball. And he was in front of the plate, not blocking the line, although in good position to make a tag. Plus, it looks like he never really had the ball in his mitt to begin with.

I still think a savvy slide, spikes up, or even a head-first slide to the back-outside of the plate gets the job done, Hell, if I'm seeing it right, just walking in gets it done, b/c Posey doesn't have the ball. But even at that, the ball is high, the body needs to be low to have a chance. Leaning into where the ball is (or should have been) is hardly avoidance. No maliciousness, I believe, just an unrefined instinct that looked to take out the tag rather than avoid it. Not dirty, just crude. Get that body down and get those spike up, go all Ty Cobb, that's the way to do it.

Edited by JSngry