2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there's this example, where if Yogi had laid down a shin guard, Robinson would have been clearly out instead of being just out and having the umpire, who was in the worst possible position to make the call, call him safe.

Edited by Dave James

I thought Matthew was a Dodgers' fan that was rooting for SF until the McCourts sell the team??

I think you may be right. I just have such a hard time imagining how anyone could be a Dodger fan.

Yeah, I'm Dodger fan who's been interested in the Giants since going to their games while at school in Berkeley (who also follows the Mariners since I lived in a small town named Stanwood, WA for a couple of years, AND, out of hometown commitment, AND because I wasted my youth watching them, a semi-Padre fan.)

On the Posey play: Too bad he got hurt, but I didn't see anything dirty or out-of-line about the play -- you see about twenty of those plays a year. I just hate to see any player get hurt on a play like that, and I hope Posey comes back full strength. My mother is devastated about her "boyfriend" (that is our nickname for Posey, she would call me to tell about any good play by him during a game).

Edit: For Spelling

Edited by Matthew

The Posey injury was unfortunate but the play was within the rules. Having said that, there ought to be some consideration of a rule change that would eliminate a play where one man runs full speed into another man who is basically kneeling defenseless on the ground.

Arguments that defend the status quo by saying that the game has always been played this way ring hollow, IMO. Football has updated its rules regarding contact in order to protect players. Why not baseball?

And now, a word from the fan-friendly folks at Tropicana Field. This shirt is not allowed:

33992-330-0.jpg

The Posey injury was unfortunate but the play was within the rules. Having said that, there ought to be some consideration of a rule change that would eliminate a play where one man runs full speed into another man who is basically kneeling defenseless on the ground.

Arguments that defend the status quo by saying that the game has always been played this way ring hollow, IMO. Football has updated its rules regarding contact in order to protect players. Why not baseball?

Yup.

I guess the going-nowhere Marlins are more concerned with winning a stupid game than they are in destroying a man's career.

The "going-nowhere" Marlins are playing .600 ball which is better than the Giants.

Seriously. And they just swept the Giants!

I guess the going-nowhere Marlins are more concerned with winning a stupid game than they are in destroying a man's career.

The "going-nowhere" Marlins are playing .600 ball which is better than the Giants.

In May.

You telling me these guys will even be in the playoffs come October? If so, I'll take that bet.

Its obvious that when it comes to the Giants, Goodie can only write self-serving nonsense.

The difference is, I can see.

You, I'm not too sure about.

Yup.

Seriously. And they just swept the Giants!

So did the Rockies and D-Backs.

Point?

Edited by GoodSpeak

Feliz blows another save, negating a tough Colby Lewis/mid relievers outing that started horrible but found a lead and held on to it dammit. Top of the 15th, Dave Bush gives up 3 home runs good for 5 runs & the game ends 15-7. Rangers had opps in extras but couldn't capitalize.

Easiest solution - Neftali Feliz gets his shit together and stops blowing saves and all that other unnecessary bullshit. A lot of things would take care of themselves if that would start happening. Although, truth be told, it is getting painful to see Nellie Cruz come to bat these days. That man is suffering.

I thought Matthew was a Dodgers' fan that was rooting for SF until the McCourts sell the team??

I think you may be right. I just have such a hard time imagining how anyone could be a Dodger fan.

Because the Dodgers are the greatest franchise in the history of baseball....

Can't be, the Cardinals have more W.S. titles than the Dodgers! :P

Yankee titles don't count. :beee:

Can't be, the Cardinals have more W.S. titles than the Dodgers! :P

Yankee titles don't count. :beee:

Quantity does not equal quality. :P

Fuck the Dodgers.

They don't even make the top 100 when it comes to greatness.

In the meantime....

Rangers fans, Matt Harrison, yet another gift from the Braves! You are quite welcome! :P

Thank+you+again.jpg

What a difference a less than 24 hour day makes. Rangers go gonzo at the plate (Nellie Cruz, 3-4, fingers crossed that this signals the end of the pain), every starter scores at least one run, back-to-back-to-back homers from the bottom of the order (Endy Chavez?!?!?!?!) the defense looks razor sharp, save for a rare gaffe by Beltre, and 3 solid relief innings (after an "oh shit, here we go again" start) from 35 year-old newcomer Yoshinori Tateyama, whose 70 MPH pitches moved like Bekins.

219909_royals_rangers_baseball.jpg

Crazy game, baseball, every day's a new day. Tomorrow is Ogando, who's due for an off game eventually...just not tomorrow, please. Friday nut was a kick to the nuts by a steel-toed jackhammer, and it's still a little tender down there.

But either way, kudos to the Royals, who look to be developing into one tough, young crew. Just do it elsewhere!

Matthew, your Mariners are sticking it to us again tonight. On paper I still think NY does not look like a .500 team, but damn if they don't continue to play like one, overall... good stretches, bad stretches that all bring the team generally to a .500 level since the beginning of August last year. ESPN's Andrew Marchand nailed some of the ongoing problems yesterday. They've just begun a very challenging stretch of games, and so far they look like perennial also-rans against Seattle.