2011 MLB Season

Jesus H. Christ I can't believe we just gave away a game to the Cubs.

The Phillies have this maddening way of lowering themselves to the same level of the dregs of the NL. Tonight's game was just ridiculous.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure what is more pleasing - going to bed certain that, all things considered, the Sox would end up losing last night, only to wake up to the wonderful news of a 7-run seventh inning and a sweep;

OR

the fact that they hadn't won six straight in New York since 1913, and never done it against the franchise known as the NY Yankees.

No time to let up though, the Sox aren't this good and the Yankees aren't this bad.

Unlike a rabid Red Sox fan we know who gave up on his superior team barely 13 games into the season, a full 1/3 of the season has now passed and I can say that it is obvious to all but the most die-hard that the Yanks are truly done for the season. Yeah, pitching staff injuries - the latest to Joba is a real killer - are a factor, but what is most apparent is the lack of clutch production (with the exception of Granderson and Texeira) and plate discipline throughout the lineup. Case in point, Cano was truly pathetic last night with the bases loaded and the dire need to get more runs with only a 2-0 lead. He swings at the first pitch from Beckett and produces the weakest pop foul inning ending out to the 3rd baseman that I can ever remember.

And the mental errors, e.g., Gardner refusing to move from 3rd base on a wild pitch to the backstop the night before. BTW, I've never been one of his fans. He doesn't utilize his speed enough on the basepaths, waiting 5 or 6 pitches when on 1st to even think of attempting a steal, getting thrown out far too often this season, takes too many pitches for strikes, and if a pitcher can get a curve over the plate when there are two strikes on him, he'll always freeze for a called strike 3. Did I mention that he rarely bunts safely when the situation calls for it?

How about all the physical mistakes this team makes? Cervelli is the latest example, his throws attempting to nab base stealers the last two nights, truly pathetic. Here's an idea, if Russell Martin has to be out with a bad back, how about letting Posada catch occasionally? He may not nab the guy going to 2nd anymore, but at least the runner won't be going to 3rd on the same play.

Jeter, A-Rod, Cano, Swisher, etc., the production simply is not up to par this year.

Pitching? I'm all for having some.

I'm done. RIP.

How much stock do you guys put in these things?

http://www.brooksbas...type=1&s_type=7

They do excellent work. It's a good check on the home plate ump.

Mike Krukow, the Giants announcer, goes on ad nauseum about the home plate ump's strike zone. It can be overdone at times though...

Krukow knows his stuff though. As a former MLB pitcher it is interesting to hear about these things from a professional point of view. It makes me more aware of the floating strike zone.

Edited by GoodSpeak

No blind/bullshit umpiring this evening, just a naggy, precipitiationalistic evening. CJ Wilson not spectacular but solid, bats aplenty, two good 3 up 3 down bullpen innings, Elvis & AB flash leather, and most impressive of all was Nellie Cruz' riflearm:

icXr3u.gif

and his Wild Wild West-tweaking reaction:

icSWXc.gif

Young guys, gifted talent, just out there playing baseball and having fun with doing it well. Starting to see more of it, and gladly will look for more.

Freddie Sanchez goes out hurt for the Giants. It doesn't look good.

Dislocated right shoulder. This is not good, if it wasn't for the pitching, the Giants would be out of it. On the bright side: Pablo Sandoval will be back in a week, none too soon.

Giants baseball continues to be Torture!

PS: On the Panda: "Bochy said he and his staff are kicking around the idea of Pablo Sandoval catching a couple of times a week when he returns from the disabled list to help fill Buster Posey's void. Sandoval has not caught since 2009, and not regularly since he was a rookie in 2008." Yikes!

Edited by Matthew

This injury thing with the Giants is just getting ridiculous. I mean as in "somebody up there" REALLY doesn't want us to repeat kind of ridiculous. Losing Posey was bad enough, but Sanchez is one of the big reasons we're hanging on to 1st place. He would likely have made the All-Star game, and now he may be out for the year. It's great that so many guys have already stepped up (we're at or near the top of the league in walk-off wins resulting from hits by different players), but at this rate our line-up is going to be dominated by scrubs and rookies. Pitching may well keep us competetive, but... goddamn it... Freddie has been the spark plug offensively, and a joy to watch at 2nd. Bochy has been a magician, but there's a limit to what he can do now...

<_<

Yankee fans be worried: Colon goes out of the game with a leg injury.

Unsurprising its a leg injury, only slightly less surprising that it happens now as opposed to the first half of July or whenever.

Potentially a devastating loss if he misses more than a few weeks, and we know how those hamstrings can be. He's the second best starter on the staff and far more consistently decent than Burnett.

ARod is such a freaking Drama Queenâ„¢, he gets hit by a pitch on the thigh and he acts likes he's been hit by a car. :tdown

Oh, c'mon! It's been beanball season for the Yanks lately, and I'm getting sick of it... Lester nailed Tex in the kneecap, Beckett hit us three times in one game, and then the HPB last night and today... Tex gets nailed after a HR by Grandy last night, then A-Rod gets hit today after homering in his previous AB... yes, HBP happen and more often than not they're not intentional, but what's the deal with the Yankees getting hit so much? (Iirc they led the majors in getting the most HBP in 2009; not sure about last year.)

As far as Colon's hamstring, yes, it's absolutely devastating if he misses more than several starts. Now that Boston's finally found its form, we're going to be in a race for the wildcard (pretty much what many NY fans thought when the season started), and without Colon that's a pretty iffy picture. A lot will ride on how soon Hughes is back and how well he pitches, which is a big if.

Edited by ghost of miles

Oh by the way - I have no idea how Mark Grace usually is as a color commentator, but today he was absolutely vomitacious. I'll usually watch a lost cause all the way through, but this guy saying stuff like having Dave Bush is a big reason the Rangers are on top of the division, well, hey, I got my self-respect, ya' know?

Between that and his "Rangers don't play defense" mantra (last in league in fielding % right now, true, but for every error Elvis Andrus has made, he makes at least two hit-robbing gems, and at least that ratio for Beltre & Kinsler), i found myself praying that if Grace is ever scheduled for another Fox game featuring the Rangers again, that he gets his next DUI the night before.

I know I'm in the minority, but for all his ramblings, I still enjoy McCarver, Other than that....

We've long been blessed with good-to-great broadcasters here, but there was a minor insurrection at the beginning of this year when longtime cult hero Josh Lewin was replaced by the loveable but completely inexperienced (as in zero PBP background) John Rhadigan for Rangers TV 'casts. Poor Rhads, by all accounts a really nice guy and excellent studio host for pre/post-game shows didn't make it a third of the season before being respectfully but unambiguously removed from the role.

One particularly irritating habit of his was referring to a ground rule double as an "automatic double", as if that was the actual term for it. I though it was just him (this being a guy who, among other fundamental knowledge gaps, appeared unaware that a bunted foul with two strikes was a strikeout), but then I heard another local guy doing it on MLB Tonight...it was either in Arizona or Colorado, I think. Is this term becoming acceptable now? Surely not!