2011 MLB Season

ARod is such a freaking Drama Queen™, he gets hit by a pitch on the thigh and he acts likes he's been hit by a car. :tdown

Unless you're the one who got plunked, I'd reserve judgement about how much it hurt. This isn't soccer or the NBA where guys are diving like they were Greg Louganis.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ARod is such a freaking Drama Queen™, he gets hit by a pitch on the thigh and he acts likes he's been hit by a car. :tdown

Unless you're the one who got plunked, I'd reserve judgement about how much it hurt. This isn't soccer or the NBA where guys are diving like they were Greg Louganis.

I saw a quick replay of it and it looked light it may have hit his hip. If that's the surgically repaired hip it might hurt like hell.

Have any of you guys played baseball? Have you ever gotten hit by a pitch? Have you ever been hit by someone who could throw really hard? Well I have. I played against Wayne Twitchell here in Portland, the same Wayne Twitchell who was in the bigs with the Phillies, Mets, Expos, Brewers and Mariners. He hit me once in the shoulder and I thought I'd been shot. Sorry, but you have to cut the hitter a little slack. Like I said to Matthew, if you're not the one who got drilled, it's presumptuous to assume that it didn't hurt.

wayne_twitchell_autograph.jpg

Have any of you guys played baseball? Have you ever gotten hit by a pitch? Have you ever been hit by someone who could throw really hard? Well I have. I played against Wayne Twitchell here in Portland, the same Wayne Twitchell who was in the bigs with the Phillies, Mets, Expos, Brewers and Mariners. He hit me once in the shoulder and I thought I'd been shot. Sorry, but you have to cut the hitter a little slack. Like I said to Matthew, if you're not the one who got drilled, it's presumptuous to assume that it didn't hurt.

wayne_twitchell_autograph.jpg

Well, yes, I have been nailed by a hard thrower, but he only made it to AAA, so you have me beat, AND, it hurt like hell. What gets me about ARod was all these other Yankees getting hit, and they're not rolling around in the dirt (BTW, ARod was hit on the non-operated hip), but the Yankees moan-and-groaned so much, that the pitcher got thrown out of the game on some weak excuse that he was gunning after ARod. Any other team or player, nothing would have happened. The Yankees roll over and play dead against the Red Sox, then all of a sudden, they start acting like bad asses against Cleveland? What the heck, that's a day late, and ten dollars short. I think ARod just needed some more face time on tv, just to remind people he's still alive -- as if that 460 foot bomb wasn't enough to remind everyone what a great player he is.

Edit: For Spelling

Edited by Matthew

Speaking of life-suffering pain inflicted by objects smaller than a normal human head, Matt Harrison has yet to pass his kidney stone.

And is still scheduled to start today.

Ron Hunt was approached to fill in, but unambiguously declined.

You have to love Hunt's 1968 stats: 529 ab 28 rbi. It was a whole different game back then.

Speaking of life-suffering pain inflicted by objects smaller than a normal human head, Matt Harrison has yet to pass his kidney stone.

And is still scheduled to start today.

Ron Hunt was approached to fill in, but unambiguously declined.

Don't they have treatments now that dissolve those things?

:unsure:

Ron Hunt never winced. Or slapped.

Ron Hunt might not have been a Hall-Of-Famer, but one other thing Ron Hunt was not was a punkass bitch.

In this case, make mine Ron Hunt!

275-ron-hunt-back.jpg?w=520

I have that card. Wentzville MO is the home of Chuck Berry. Which begs the question if Chuck Berry had played baseball, would he have duck walked to first if he had been HBP?

So is Boston ever going to lose again? This is the team we were all expecting to see in 2011--Dan, you must be feeling delighted. Power note: with their four HRs today, I think Boston overtook Texas for 2nd-most as a team in the MLB.

A sliver of potentially good news for Yankees fans today: Colon's MRI came back "good." He's going on the DL, but hopefully we'll lose him for only several turns in the rotation. David Phelps is coming up from Scranton Wilkes-Barre to take his place (a bit more about Phelps in this post yesterday at Pinstripe Alley).

Frustrating series in Minnesota...two games the Twins get an extra out in an inning (Thursday by an incontestably bad umpiring fuckup on the bases, today a self-inflicted wild pitch by Mark Lowe on a two out swinging strike three), two games they open the game up as a result. Matt Harrison, who was pitching superbly gets stung just above the throwing arm elbow (which was immediately numbed, by the looks of things) by a scorching line drive, has to come out immediately thereafter (let the record show that he attempted a throw to first anyway, and was totally Ron Hunt-y in his absorption and display of the pain, god bless him. A bruised tricep is the preliminary report.), which is what brought Lowe in in the first place. Of course, Francisco Liriano was pitching even more superbly than was Matt Harrison, but I like the Rangers' changes of winning in those circumstances a lot better when the score is 1-0 than when it's 6-0. Most frustrating of all, though, was Elvis Andrus displaying (again) defensive immaturity. The guy makes magical plays - and plenty of them - but goes through phases where he slacks off on routine plays. The kid's only 22, and no doubt will get over it, but right now it's frustrating to watch. He's such a special talent, but not yet a fully mature one. Wash pinch hit for him in the 9th, no doubt the first of several messages to be delivered about that nonsense.

We caught the Rays and Indians when they were cooling off, the Twins & Tigers when they were heating up. This week is the Yankees & Braves, neither of which show any signs of cooling off. Colby Lewis

iFRZ8_large.png

should only pitch once this week, but the other Rangers starters (save, to a lesser extent, Ogando) still have this disturbing habit of most of their mistakes being ones that result in up home runs. Against the Braves & Yankees, this could result in a long, painful week.

Edited by JSngry

Of course, Francisco Liriano was pitching even more superbly than was Matt Harrison,

Give Liriano credit too, no-hitter for 8.

Credit fully & previously given. Liriano was damn near unhittable today, exquisite location all game long.

In fact, my son and I were going back and forth between the house and the La-Z-Boy shop for the first six innings of the game, picking up some recliners we had dropped off for repair. My biggest concern, other than the Rangers getting beat, was that a perfect game was going to be pitched & we would only hear, not see, the first 2/3s of it.

Yeah, it's been making the round here for almost a month now. My favorite reaction was the one broadcaster who expressed (ahem) deep disappointment that it would eliminate forever more the possibility of the Rangers & Astros meeting in the World Series.

Don't know that it would be good for the game, honestly. I remember when there were no divisions and no playoffs. Almost impossible to maintain regional interest (and attendance) when the big "battle" was for 7th place in the league.. Sure, you'd get five teams in each league competing for a spot in the playoffs rather than the four you now have, but all under the same umbrella, rather than the three you have now. Also don't really dig the idea of year-round inter league play, but that's more form a purist standpoint than for any real objections, but really, is there any reason why, say, the White Sox should play the Pirates on a regular basis? Really?

The NBA & NFL already have a "one league" approach. What's cool about baseball is that the two leagues are actual, separate, business entities, always have been. I like it that way.

Yeah, it's been making the round here for almost a month now. My favorite reaction was the one broadcaster who expressed (ahem) deep disappointment that it would eliminate forever more the possibility of the Rangers & Astros meeting in the World Series.

Consider the odds of a Baltimore-Washington World Series ever happening!

Here's an interesting AP article about the science of broken bats.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/forest-service-cracks-mystery-behind-broken-bats/article2059128/

The NBA & NFL already have a "one league" approach. What's cool about baseball is that the two leagues are actual, separate, business entities, always have been. I like it that way.

Jim, I don't believe that's true anymore. A few years ago the league offices were combined into the commissioner's office. I think, but I'm not sure, it was about the time the Brewers moved from the American League to the National League. Also, the difference in the leagues' umpiring was eliminated.

Yeah, in 2000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball

The two leagues were once totally separate rival corporate entities, but that distinction has all but disappeared. In 1903, the two leagues began to meet in an end-of-year championship series called the World Series. In 1920, the weak National Commission, which had been created to manage relationships between the two leagues, was replaced with the much more powerful Commissioner of Baseball, who had the power to make decisions for all of professional baseball unilaterally. In 2000, the American and National Leagues were dissolved as legal entities, and Major League Baseball became a single league de jure, although it had operated as a de facto single entity for many years.

Well, that's too bad,

It is being reported that the kidney stone of Matt Harrison has finally passed (presumably without wincing, since the attending physician was Dr. Ron Hunt). However, Mr. Harrison's tricep remains bruised, although he is still slated to make his next scheduled start Saturday, in Atlanta.

Although the overall evidence strongly suggests otherwise, this incident/ordeal/human tragi-drama supports the wisdom of the evolutionary/intelligent design/random outcome of humans having a urinary tract not located in their pitching arm. And vice-versa.

Ogando's now surpassed his career high total of inning pitched. Gotta wonder what kind of walls lie ahead.

OTOH, this is the second time this year I've seen him lose effectiveness after going into a deep single-inning pitch count. So maybe he just needs to get stronger in that regard.

Either way, Rangers' arms and bats have both been off lately. Not much fun there.

More than a few people out there in baseball land are convinced that Jeter's injury is a put on so he can come back and attack the 3,000 hit plateau while the Yankees are at home. That seems a little far fetched, but not far enough that I can't buy into it. While he's out, it gives New York a chance to experiment with Billy Gardner leading off which is probably what they should have been doing all along. Over the last month he's been hitting well over .300, so in combination with his speed, maybe one of the idiots who run that show will figure out the team is better with him at the top of the order.