2011 MLB Season

Have the Mets needed help to make payroll? I mean, they're poorly run, got killed by the Madoff fraud and had to find a minority investor for a cash infusion but it seems there are orders of magnitude between the incompetence (and possible malfeasance) of McCourt and the Wilpons.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the Mets needed help to make payroll? I mean, they're poorly run, got killed by the Madoff fraud and had to find a minority investor for a cash infusion but it seems there are orders of magnitude between the incompetence (and possible malfeasance) of McCourt and the Wilpons.

MLB advanced the Mets $25,000,000 awhile back. Whether that was used wholly or in part to meet their payroll obligations, I do not know.

The Phillies will be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs if they don't get a right handed bat that can hit before the trading deadline.

Carlos Beltran will be available soon...

Would love to have him but I can't see the Mets trading him to the Phillies.

Sad news, Nick Charles of CNN fame in the 80's, died of bladder Cancer, he was only 64

I remember him from the 70's when he was the local sportscaster in Baltimore. Seemed liked a good guy.

If the Phillies have what the Mets need, I don't see it as a major stumbling block.

Trouble for the Mets is that they're neither a bad nor a good team so they may be in a bit of a quandry as to when to be buyers or sellers. Only if they fall completely out of the Wild Card race will they start selling. The moron critics in NY (read that Mike Francesa) keep predicting they'll be in trouble when they go on the road but they're actually much better on the road than at home. Go figure.

If I was the GM I wouldn't let how well they've played deter me from the long range plan of rebuilding the team.

Well, it is a bit of a sticky wicket as they say in Texas...

Carlos Beltran?? The violent closer??? Sure, trade them off...

But, what about David Wright or Jose Reyes??? Won't attendance fall off the face of the earth, if they were traded??? Would you and your friends pay as close attention to the Mets if they were gone???

As much financial trouble as the organization is in, they have to consider that as well. Of course, if they can't afford to re-sign Reyes....

Pretty sure that's a cricket expression, and the only crickets we have around here are either chirping at night or being being used for crappie bait...but as far as the sticky part goes, at this time of year, pretty much everything is...

Rumors are out that the Rangers are interested in Beltran http://www.lonestarb...-carlos-beltran and considering all the problems this team is having now that don't involve waiting/hoping for proven performers to get back to proven performance, I don't know but that I'm not liking this at all...

I spent a weekend doing out of town gigs, and from what I've gathered upon returning is that what the Rangers really need now are 1) at least one proven starter. I fear that Ogando has hit his wall, and he's too special a talent to ruin in the pursuit of short-term glory 2) mental enemas for more than a few offensive players (Kinsler, Murphy, and possibly Cruz, the line starts with you) and 3) a pre-approved presidential pardon for any and all actions that might result from the display of emotionally-appropriate behavior in the face of repeatedly and blatantly inept umpiring.

I don't see how Beltran provides any of this, not even with the possible addition of K-Rod. We have past-their-prime relievers of unpredictable efficiency aplenty as it is.

The Phillies will be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs if they don't get a right handed bat that can hit before the trading deadline.

Carlos Beltran will be available soon...

Would love to have him but I can't see the Mets trading him to the Phillies.

Sad news, Nick Charles of CNN fame in the 80's, died of bladder Cancer, he was only 64

I remember him from the 70's when he was the local sportscaster in Baltimore. Seemed liked a good guy.

If the Phillies have what the Mets need, I don't see it as a major stumbling block.

Trouble for the Mets is that they're neither a bad nor a good team so they may be in a bit of a quandry as to when to be buyers or sellers. Only if they fall completely out of the Wild Card race will they start selling. The moron critics in NY (read that Mike Francesa) keep predicting they'll be in trouble when they go on the road but they're actually much better on the road than at home. Go figure.

If I was the GM I wouldn't let how well they've played deter me from the long range plan of rebuilding the team.

Carlos Beltran?? The violent closer??? Sure, trade them off...

But, what about David Wright or Jose Reyes??? Won't attendance fall off the face of the earth, if they were traded??? Would you and your friends pay as close attention to the Mets if they were gone???

As much financial trouble as the organization is in, they have to consider that as well. Of course, if they can't afford to re-sign Reyes....

Yes, it is a bit of a sticky wicket.

Beltran is the most likely to be traded as he's getting up there and I can't see them signing him next year. Perhaps they're counting on Wright taking his place when he comes back.

K-Rod has been a model citizen this year and pretty dependable. Wright is recovering from a stress fracture in his back and is the face of the franchise so I don't see him as one to be traded and they want to re-sign Reyes (whether they do or not is another story).

Attendance has dropped off this year anyway. Regardless of who plays for your team, they're still your team.

No simple answers here.

So does anyone have reason to believe that the series starting tonight in Philadelphia is still a World Series preview?

Strange thing is the two most prominent fans (on this boad) of the teams involved have serious doubts about their respective rosters and their chances.

So does anyone have reason to believe that the series starting tonight in Philadelphia is still a World Series preview?

Not sure to what extent you can use this series as a yardstick. Beckett, although starting tonight, hasn't pitched in awhile, plus injuries to Crawford, Lawrie and Bucholtz and having Big Papi pretty much confined to the bench put the Sox at too big a disadvantage to call this a true WS preview.

Not sure to what extent you can use this series as a yardstick. Beckett, although starting tonight, hasn't pitched in awhile, plus injuries to Crawford, Lawrie and Bucholtz and having Big Papi pretty much confined to the bench put the Sox at too big a disadvantage to call this a true WS preview.

That's kind of a one sided perspective don't cha think? The Phillies have no closer right now having placed Ryan Madson on the DL today where he joins Joe Blanton, Bradley Thomas Lidge, Jose Contreras, and Roy Oswalt. Not to mention that Utley and Polanco are not at 100%.

Regardless, even if both teams were at full strength what happens in June has little worth for predicting what might happen come October.

Regardless, even if both teams were at full strength what happens in June has little worth for predicting what might happen come October.

The way things have gone in recent years it'll be a surprise if the 2 best regular season records face each in the World Series.

The way things have gone in recent years it'll be a surprise if the 2 best regular season records face each in the World Series.

Excellent. Then the Red Sox might have a chance.

Cliff Lee is on fire and pitching another gem tonight. Up 5-0 in the 7th on a one hitter. Over the last few weeks, he's easily been the best pitcher in either league.

J.H. - Who needs those bruised up guys you mentioned when you're getting starting pitching like this?

Cliff Lee he's not (and never will be), but a Ranger he is (at least for this year), and CJ Wilson continues to go out there and lay it on the line. 7 innings tonight, a few scattered hits and runs, two innings with a numb finger from trying the bare-hand stop, making his pitches when he had to, scoring a NL run after hitting a NL lead-off NL triple, hey, this CJ Wilson guy's got guts and skills, and he looks to be trying to get better every time out (and quite often does). So, much love for CJ Wilson tonight, and to the Rangers as a whole for getting that funk outta their head, and for accepting a favorable blown call as if they were entitled to it, which in fact they were, since the Devil never runs a tab that God doesn't make him pay.

Kudos also to Andres Blanco for showing big glove and good bat in a sub role for Elvis, and to Jeoshus for giving it up on that dive out in center that probably saved CJs inning (or at least incintivized CJ to not let his teammates' hard effort go to waste through pitching indifference, as has happened too many times on this team this year).

The team cyllinders were kinda firing together this evening, not just the individuals.The Rangers played Ranger baseball this evening (mostly, Yoshi got two in the ninth but then squandered some hits & made Feliz come in to close out, which he did w/no drama). I like Rangers baseball when played according to plan, and would like to see some more of it as we go along.

And CJ Wilson = Work Ethic. Teach your kids, tell your neighbors, and take it to heart your ownself. Work Ethic RULES.

Edited by JSngry

Excellent. Then the Red Sox might have a chance.

And by extension then the real World Series preview is happening between my team & Berigan's right now. ;) Aye-yi-yi, another 1 run loss to a NL team for the not-so-mighty-M's. Hey, I haven't really expected an AL West title out of these guys but it was fun to be moderately threatening in a low scoring way for awhile. It's weird how they performed better vs. the Phils than the other NL East teams they've faced.

And by extension then the real World Series preview is happening between my team & Berigan's right now. ;) Aye-yi-yi, another 1 run loss to a NL team for the not-so-mighty-M's. Hey, I haven't really expected an AL West title out of these guys but it was fun to be moderately threatening in a low scoring way for awhile. It's weird how they performed better vs. the Phils than the other NL East teams they've faced.

Clearly, the REAL WS preview, as you said! :crazy:

It could be argued the Braves have the best overall pitching staff. But it really doesn't matter if only Brian McCann is hitting, does it??? Jason Heyward is hitting .228, and is not the hitter that had 10 Hr's and 38 RBI's in the first two months of his career. He's still only 21, so I guess it's just a tad too early to give up on him. :rolleyes: Everyone swears Jordan Schafer is a real sparkplug, but he's hitting .223 with a .299 OBP.

But the biggest black hole in the lineup is Dan Uggla. But of course, coming from the NL East to the ...NL east, naturally, there is an adjustment period. Meanwhile, halfway thru the 2011 season, he is hitting .177. He is on pace for 24 homers, so he's basically Rob Deer this year.

You just know the networks would LOVE a Mariners/Braves W.S.! :rofl:

Seattle in the World Series? I need some of whatever you're smoking. PM me for my mailing address. What Seattle is proving is that good pitching will work wonders. Nonetheless, when it's all said and done and your highest charting everyday player (Ichiro) is hitting .276, I wouldn't be doing much post-season planning.

Seattle in the World Series? I need some of whatever you're smoking.

I'm smoking winkies. And just trying to provide some humorous optimism amongst some of the drama from fans of the front running teams. Young Ackley continues to hit. In fact he has a hit or a walk (and mostly hits) in all 12 of his major league games. Why if he keeps that pace up and eats his Wheaties, he'll easily break Pete Rose's hit record.

;)