2011 MLB Season

Well, weren't THAT the bitch!

The Fully Mounted Colby Lewis was superb this evening, coming out after 7 (pitch count = 103, later revealed to be having increasing stiffness in his neck, probably from being so badass tonight and trying to watch it at the same time), much to the surpirse of all, but Dave bush was serviceable, and we go to the ninth with Neftali and a 3-1 lead.

We left the 9th with a 5-3 loss, which really sucked, but Feliz had ok velocity w/o good location and was hit hard. These are the Astros, sure, but they're still major league hitter, and none of them are batting .000, if you know waht I mean. So I'm torn - sure, Neffi pitched 2 full innings last night and was poppin', so mabye the lack of poppin' tonight was a calculated risk. OTOH, dammit, you da' man, BE the man, ya' know? The longr the season goes, if I keep having to be torn like this, there ain't gonna be no torn to it... And it would have been a numerical pleasure to open up another game in the lead over Seattle. Them numbers got psycological powerifications, ya' know?

Stiil - two series wins in a row, the schedule still looks friendly (but looks can kill, believe it), Quality Colby Lewis, 8 full inning of splendeiffic baseball pleasure (9 if you drove up from down south, and more than a few did), PLUS Dollar Hot Dog Night, add it all up, it's still the best deal in town, so take your family to worship at the ballpark of your choice, ok? Of such things are better worlds made.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 years ago today.....

Rick Wise: Two home runs ... and a no-hitter

June 23, 1971: Wise pitches the second no-hitter against the Reds in three weeks, walking only one batter. Earlier in the year, Wise explained what you had to do as a starter to get a win for the last-place Phillies: "To win on this club you have to pitch a shutout and hit a homer." Wise's performance isn't just lucky -- in 1971 he had 6 HRs and a .237 batting average. Only four Phillies had more homers than he did, and his batting average was higher than the team's measly .233.

In the off season Wise would be traded to St.Louis for..... Anyone?...... wait for it...... Steve Carlton!!

Cliff Lee threw his 2nd complete game shut out IN A ROW last night*. Lee is 4-0 with a 0.27 ERA for the month of June. That's twice as many wins then the Marlins have this month! :)

* He has 3 complete game shut outs this season and combined w/ Ryan Madson for another shut out.

40 years ago today.....

June 23, 1971: Wise pitches the second no-hitter against the Reds in three weeks, walking only one batter. Earlier in the year, Wise explained what you had to do as a starter to get a win for the last-place Phillies: "To win on this club you have to pitch a shutout and hit a homer." Wise's performance isn't just lucky -- in 1971 he had 6 HRs and a .237 batting average. Only four Phillies had more homers than he did, and his batting average was higher than the team's measly .233.

In the off season Wise would be traded to St.Louis for..... Anyone?...... wait for it...... Steve Carlton!!

Wise went to Madison High School right here in Portland. When I play golf at a course called Rose City, you can see his name and number on their HOF outfield wall. I think they won the state championship twice in the '60's while he was there. Never played against him but did against his brother Tom in a number of slo-pitch softball encounters over the years. Let me tell you, that kid was no slouch.

The Wise for Carlton trade is widely considered to be one of the worst in baseball history. Not because WIse was a bust, but because Carlton went on to have a Hall of Fame career. The worst, needless to say, was the Reds dealing Frank Robinson to the Orioles in 1965 for a couple of tomato cans. The Reds GM was convinced that Robinson was what he called, "an old 30". All Robinson did was win the Triple Crown in his first year with Baltimore.

Edited by Dave James

the Reds dealing Frank Robinson to the Orioles in 1965 for a couple of tomato cans. The Reds GM was convinced that Robinson was what he called, "an old 30".

Let the record show that it was for two cans of tomatos (Jack Baldschun & Dick Simpson) & one pretty decent pitcher in Milt Pappas. Still a wildly unbalanced trade (and the suspicion that the Reds GM d/n care for Robinson's perceived "uppity" attitude persists to this day), but credit is due where it is due, and Milt Pappas was an above-average, at times great pitcher, his more than passing resemblance to a Texas truck stop icon not withstanding.

64topps_giant-05.jpgBucees2.jpg

Edited by JSngry

40 years ago today.....

And Carlton went 27-10 for a Phillies team that won 59 games! One of the most amazing seasons any pitched ever had.

Not surprising. Can't blame Riggleman at all. The GM would not even agree to begin discussing an extension. A manager with a one year contract is really in a bind. These are not the days of Walter Alston anymore. I wish him well. He served baseball in Washington very well, in my opinion.

Not surprising. Can't blame Riggleman at all. The GM would not even agree to begin discussing an extension. A manager with a one year contract is really in a bind. These are not the days of Walter Alston anymore. I wish him well. He served baseball in Washington very well, in my opinion.

Neal, glad to hear you say this! Something about GM Mike Rizzo has rubbed me the wrong way, for a long time. The ultra babying and delaying of Strausburg's MLB debut when people said he was ready in spring training (still blew out his elbow, but at least no one can say the Nats overworked him)

He also thinks a 39 year old back up catcher is pure gold and wants a mint for him.

Here is Tim K's take on the situation.

and from MLBTR site...

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports also chimes in on the Nationals' managerial situation, noting that while Riggleman was wrong to leave the team, it was also unfair of Nationals management to leave Riggleman as a lame duck without a guaranteed 2012 contract. Rosenthal also reports that GM Mike Rizzo rarely communicated with Riggleman and has a similar lack of regular contact with his scouting department.

The Phillies will be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs if they don't get a right handed bat that can hit before the trading deadline.

Carlos Beltran will be available soon...

Would love to have him but I can't see the Mets trading him to the Phillies.

Sad news, Nick Charles of CNN fame in the 80's, died of bladder Cancer, he was only 64

I remember him from the 70's when he was the local sportscaster in Baltimore. Seemed liked a good guy.

Just watched the 2011 Yankees Old Timers Game. Great to see the old players once again. Always enjoy seeing Ron Guidry and Mickey Rivers, two of my all time favorites. And it was good to see Aaron Small, who went 10-0 for the 2005 Yankees. Looked up his stats - never realized that he played 9 years for 6 different teams. And a strange stat - 25-13 (.658)lifetime record with a 5.20 e.r.a.

The Phillies will be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs if they don't get a right handed bat that can hit before the trading deadline.

Carlos Beltran will be available soon...

Would love to have him but I can't see the Mets trading him to the Phillies.

Sad news, Nick Charles of CNN fame in the 80's, died of bladder Cancer, he was only 64

I remember him from the 70's when he was the local sportscaster in Baltimore. Seemed liked a good guy.

If the Phillies have what the Mets need, I don't see it as a major stumbling block.

Trouble for the Mets is that they're neither a bad nor a good team so they may be in a bit of a quandry as to when to be buyers or sellers. Only if they fall completely out of the Wild Card race will they start selling. The moron critics in NY (read that Mike Francesa) keep predicting they'll be in trouble when they go on the road but they're actually much better on the road than at home. Go figure.

If I was the GM I wouldn't let how well they've played deter me from the long range plan of rebuilding the team.

Just watched the 2011 Yankees Old Timers Game. Great to see the old players once again. Always enjoy seeing Ron Guidry and Mickey Rivers, two of my all time favorites.

Rivers was something of a poor man's Yogi Berra. He was always saying things that were a little off plumb. Here's one of my favorites:

"Out of what, a thousand?"

Mickey Rivers, responding to teammate Reggie Jackson's claim he had an IQ of 160

Just watched the 2011 Yankees Old Timers Game. Great to see the old players once again. Always enjoy seeing Ron Guidry and Mickey Rivers, two of my all time favorites.

Rivers was something of a poor man's Yogi Berra. He was always saying things that were a little off plumb. Here's one of my favorites:

"Out of what, a thousand?"

Mickey Rivers, responding to teammate Reggie Jackson's claim he had an IQ of 160

:rofl:

Apparently now the Dodgers have filed for bankruptcy.

I admit to not following this story as closely as I could have but this is going to be one huge clusterfark. Of course McCourt never should have been allowed to buy the team but Bud should have taken action sooner to fix the situation. And how screwy is it that McCourt essentially spun off the parking (and concessions?) into another company separate from the team itself? So if Bud had taken over the team and sold it to someone else, McCourt would have been landlord to the new owners?

Just a disaster for MLB, the fans, the players (is there any question that the team doesn't have the cash to make payroll in three days? What will the players and MLBPA do about that?