2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A-Rod: Jose Reyes is 'greatest'

So does he go to the Yankees or the Phillies next year?

Not New York, unless the Yankees are prepared to move Jeter elsewhere--and where would they move him? The infield's set (Tex at first, Cano at second, A-Rod at third), you've got Gardner in left, Granderson in center, and most likely Swisher again in right... and I can't see putting a .260-hitting-with-no-power Jeter at DH on a regular basis.

Happy to see Bartolo Colon in the rotation again for the Yanks today. What will they do when Phil Hughes comes back? Right now everybody's pitching reasonably well; I'm not sure who gets dropped or moved into the bullpen. Maybe NY should warm Hughes up with a few long-relief appearances first.

As far as Sam Rice, hey, whatever happened to not-rehashing-the-past/moving-on/living-in-the-freaking-MOMENT, eh? Roberto's dignity is quite intact anyway, and by lights of the posted information, Mr. Rice would have been 913 hits short of the magic number. ("Error, charged to poster Jsngry!" ;) ) Anyway, seeing as how he did actually fall only 13 hits short, maybe better off as an angry-bouncer type?

Edited by ghost of miles

As far as Sam Rice, hey, whatever happened to not-rehashing-the-past/moving-on/living-in-the-freaking-MOMENT, eh?

Once Disney reanimates him, Sam Rice WILL be the moment. The NEW Moment!

Thus will the 20th Century continue to exercise its domination of the 21st, at least until the 21st grows a pair and moves away from home.

I hope I live to see it...

Besides, I can't wait to see Derek Jeter toss Sam Rice his keys, then watch Sam Rice stumble into the bushes out of sight for a few seconds, only to return with the keys intact, then toss them back to Jeter saying "here ya' go Jeets", to which Jeets will reply, "Hey Ricey, how do I know you didn't make copies or hack the chip while you were in the bushes?" to which Ricey will say "You'll just have to trust me on that one, Jeets", and then everybody laughs and everything goes on as usual, another piece of baseball lore added for the ages to enjoy. In the meantime, Cap Anson will be looking on, taking notes, and wondering things to himself that only his friends will hear about.

See how much fun the past can bring us if we just keep it alive?

Jim,

I think you'll find this interesting. Texas must think this kid is an absolute, stone cold lock to drop $5 million on him. He's just 16 years old.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6732843

Read about that this morning, yeah. http://www.lonestarb...omar-mazara-for

Time will tell. Maybe he can pitch and they can do an Ogando on him before he hits the bigs. That would be impressive.

And he's not the only one either. Looks like another high $ Latin-America sigining is on the horizon: http://www.lonestarball.com/2011/7/2/2256006/rangers-reportedly-close-to-signing-ronald-guzman

But stuff like this is what bugs me:

Guzman, like Mazara, throws and hits lefthanded, and BA says he has a below-average arm and below-average speed that, like Mazara, will likely limit him to left field. Like Mazara, he is seen as someone with above-average power potential, although BA says there are questions about his bat speed that have some scouts concerned.

Guzman is 6'4" and 195 lbs., and gets high marks for makeup and instinct, according to BA.

LOTS of questions and LOTS of dollars. Lots of risk too...but when you hit, you hit.

Which is all well and good and everything, but jeez-lewease, are there no pitching prospect to be had? There's GOT to be, right?

But our plan this year seems to have been to find a 35 year old junk pitcher in Japan, sign him up, and use him in short relief. In all honesty, I'm liking it!

Dave Bush was DFA-ed yesterday to make room for PhatPhuk Tommy Hunter...can Arthur Rhodes be far behind now that Darren O'Day is allegedly healed up and ready to return new and improved?

Millions spent on teenage outfielders with power potential and little else. Find me some g-d pitching. PLEASE.

Edited by JSngry

As far as Sam Rice, hey, whatever happened to not-rehashing-the-past/moving-on/living-in-the-freaking-MOMENT, eh?

Once Disney reanimates him, Sam Rice WILL be the moment. The NEW Moment!

Thus will the 20th Century continue to exercise its domination of the 21st, at least until the 21st grows a pair and moves away from home.

I hope I live to see it...

Besides, I can't wait to see Derek Jeter toss Sam Rice his keys, then watch Sam Rice stumble into the bushes out of sight for a few seconds, only to return with the keys intact, then toss them back to Jeter saying "here ya' go Jeets", to which Jeets will reply, "Hey Ricey, how do I know you didn't make copies or hack the chip while you were in the bushes?" to which Ricey will say "You'll just have to trust me on that one, Jeets", and then everybody laughs and everything goes on as usual, another piece of baseball lore added for the ages to enjoy. In the meantime, Cap Anson will be looking on, taking notes, and wondering things to himself that only his friends will hear about.

See how much fun the past can bring us if we just keep it alive?

Reanimation seems to be alive and well, so to speak, right here in this very thread! But plenty of fun to be had, with or without the past, as long as you don't get all hung up one way or another about it. Still:

He's dead, Jim.

Edited by ghost of miles

I'm thinking that the baseball career of Dave Bush is dead right now, and unless Disney knows something I don't want to know, it'll probably stay that way. Sure seemed to be a nice guy, but...hey.

Then again, who knows? There's always a market somewhere for something!

A-Rod: Jose Reyes is 'greatest'

So does he go to the Yankees or the Phillies next year?

I'd also rather see Nunez get a shot at replacing Jeter. He's been rather error-prone this year, but that's not unusual for a young infielder getting some dirt on his spikes at the MLB level. Certainly much easier on the payroll, too, then whatever Reyes will end up commanding.

Speaking of homegrown Yankee talent, a nice write-up on David Robertson as a potential All-Star pick. If he can sustain anything near the level of performance he's been at for the first half of his season, then I think he'll also make a great case for succeeding Mo as NY's closer, should Mo end up retiring after his contract runs out next season.

I'm liking The Adventures Of Jeets & Ricey as the lead title in a new MLB Comics series. Kind of an Archie/Jughead dynamic w/A-Rod as the Reggie-type "jerk-y" foil. They could also do a Western theme w/ Ridin' The RBIA (w/Nolan & JD), and for the ladies, a West Coast romance/soap title like The Fabulous McCourts. All titles would be available online (with exclusive extra content!) and be available in Spanish & Japanese as well. Hell, how about an all-Spanish title like Mi Amigo Alberto the story of a heroic first basemen who battles stodgy franchise owners and crippling injuries to obtain his rightful place in the game's financial hierarchy. Dramatic, relevant, and only available in Spanish. The passing of Kaliman has too long left a void, a void that MLB needs to fill it, pronto.

Gotta bring in the young people, and nothing does that like comic books!

I read an article about the Dodgers filing for bankruptcy the other day, and it mentioned in passing that Dodger Stadium is now the majors' third oldest ballpark - behind only Fenway and Wrigley. I hadn't realized that. I remember when it was new, and before that when the Dodgers played in the Colosseum.

Edited by GA Russell

Just got off the Giants website and bought tickets for my son and I to go to Thursday's Giants vs. Padres game!

It's televised, so watch for the guy in the Giants cap. I'll being the one waving.

Go Giants!

Edited by GoodSpeak

I read an article about the Dodgers filing for bankruptcy the other day, and it mentioned in passing that Dodger Stadium is now the majors' third oldest ballpark - behind only Fenway and Wrigley. I hadn't realized that. I remember when it was new, and before that when the Dodgers played in the Colosseum.

Remember how when the Angels used it, it was called "Chavez Ravine"?

It's televised, so watch for the guy in the Giants cap. I'll being the one waving.

Watch for me waving back. I'll be the fat middle-aged white guy in a recliner.

Seriously, enjoy the game. Ain't nothing like a day at the ballpark, especially with family. 't'is a good thing, 't'is.

I'm liking The Adventures Of Jeets & Ricey as the lead title in a new MLB Comics series. Kind of an Archie/Jughead dynamic w/A-Rod as the Reggie-type "jerk-y" foil. They could also do a Western theme w/ Ridin' The RBIA (w/Nolan & JD), and for the ladies, a West Coast romance/soap title like The Fabulous McCourts. All titles would be available online (with exclusive extra content!) and be available in Spanish & Japanese as well. Hell, how about an all-Spanish title like Mi Amigo Alberto the story of a heroic first basemen who battles stodgy franchise owners and crippling injuries to obtain his rightful place in the game's financial hierarchy. Dramatic, relevant, and only available in Spanish. The passing of Kaliman has too long left a void, a void that MLB needs to fill it, pronto.

Gotta bring in the young people, and nothing does that like comic books!

Hell, here's one that's ready to go!

1969+Topps+Ted+Shows+How.jpg

Remember how when the Angels used it, it was called "Chavez Ravine"?

It's still named after a ditch.

Watch for me waving back. I'll be the fat middle-aged white guy in a recliner.

Seriously, enjoy the game. Ain't nothing like a day at the ballpark, especially with family. 't'is a good thing, 't'is.

That's a fact, too :tup:g

We're also going to play some golf while up there.

Good times, indeed.

D-Wreck Holland doesn't even get out of the first, allowing 4 and responsible for five, setting the stage for the returns of Tommy Hunter (desired results, maybe even better) & Darren O'Day (undesired and undesirable results). Best results, damn-near sterling, actually, of out the pen came from Dammit Darren & Arthur Rhodes, which just goes to show to show you that love is strange, baseball is just plain weird. Sometimes.

Lone Star Ball says it best:

44-40 - Rangers give middle finger to consistency, lose

<h1 class="title"></h1>If Giants baseball is torture, this year's Rangers baseball has been a dull tickle.

Don't put much stock in the All Star team selections, but glad to see Tyler Clippard of the Nationals on board, which is not common for set up relievers. Danny Espinosa'a BA is not the best but he is the sluggingest second baseman in the NL (majors?) this year and probably the Gold Glove winner and really should be on the All Stars, IMO.

Edited by Neal Pomea

After a rain delayed laugher yesterday, the Giants blow another one in the late innings.

It's hard work being a Giants fan [heaviest of sighs].

No thank you note to the Tribe for the three pack gift they provided your team last week???

Tribe managed to go 4-5 on road against SF, AZ, and Cincy.

Hopefully Fausto Carmona will be on the DL a little longer than 15 days and gently moved to long relief. Not going to happen, but one can dream.

Hopefully Travis Hafner will have his swing in good shape against NYY at home. He's only had a few pinch hit opportunities over the last 9 games in NL towns.

Nightmare June (10-17) now over and Tribe is still in first place at the halfway mark, even with a large number of injuries and quite a few underperformers on the team. Cannot really complain (...just as any fan of a team that is still in contention shouldn't be :rolleyes: ). Tribe needs to add a good outfielder if there are any to be had. Not sure GM will do anything besides promote young pitching talent and hope the likes of Travis Buck and Austin Kearns can deliver.