anybody here actually hear Charlie Parker back in the day?

Rooster_Ties

Yep, I was in Toronto's Massey Hall on May 15, 1953 and saw Bird with Dizzy, Bud Powell, Mingus and Max Roach.

Thanks Don. Had a request for you to share more of the details of your experience over on the Hoffman board (or with us here, if you'd rather).

Can you ask that poster for more information? Would love to read about his entire experience. The Massey Hall concert is probably the most legendary jazz concert ever. bounce.gif
Edited by Rooster_Ties

Rooster Ties asked me to share my memories of the now famous 1953 Massey Hall concert that featured Bird, Diz, Bud Powell, Mingus and Roach. The simplest thing to do is to click on to JazzWax and type in Massey Hall concert. Back in January of 2009 I sent Marc Myers a piece about the concert which he printed on his JazzWax site.

Rooster Ties asked me to share my memories of the now famous 1953 Massey Hall concert that featured Bird, Diz, Bud Powell, Mingus and Roach. The simplest thing to do is to click on to JazzWax and type in Massey Hall concert. Back in January of 2009 I sent Marc Myers a piece about the concert which he printed on his JazzWax site.

Here's the link:

http://www.jazzwax.com/2009/01/jazz-at-massey-hall.html

About that Massey Hall Concert. More information can be obtained in that wonderful book by Mark Miller

"Cool Blues Charlie Parker in Canada 1953". All about Parker's performances on CBC TV and at the Chez Paree in Montreal and the Massey Hall Concert in Toronto.

Yes, in Copenhagen, but that's all I have to say about it.

Chris. No fair. I'd love to hear your recollections, but I guess you have your reasons. I respect that. Weren't you involved in some way with the Xanadu Parker recording that captured Bird in a live setting while he was touring Scandinavia?