Horace Tapscott

romualdo

Toshiyo Taenaka recorded Horace for his Interplay label between 78 & 83.

Three sessions were released on LP & subsequently CD (In New York, Songs Of The Unsung & Autumn Colours - the latter 2 being released in 2010 by Absorb Music).

Recently picked up these three CD's via HMV Japan - the solo (his first) CD (Songs of...) is a bit harsh sounding but I'm happy to hear any of his recordings, studio or live

Two other Interplay sessions were also released in Japan last year, namely Faith & Little Afrika - are these new releases from those early 80's sessions or were they previously released (CD or LP) throughout the 80's?

Neither the Lord Discography or the Dark Tree book mention/list these two.

Any Tapscott fans out there care to comment on either of these?

"Little Afrika" is a solo outing recorded on August 16, 1983 in Hollywood. If you like his solo stuff then you won't be disappointed. Tracks are:

1. Niger's theme

2. Tapscott's Thoughts

3. Swing On A Limb

4. Litle Afrika

"Faith" has him playing in a quintet with Roberta Miranda (bass), Everette Brown Jr. (drums), Melvin Moore (violin) and Louis Spears (cello) recorded August 12 & 13, 1983 in Hollywood. Tracks are:

1, Sketches of Drunken Mary

2. Faith

3. Yesterday's Sunset

4. As A Child

Again it's a fine session and well worth acquiring.

If you don't already know, then many of his early recordings can be purchased here:

Nimbus West Records

"Little Afrika" is a solo outing recorded on August 16, 1983 in Hollywood. If you like his solo stuff then you won't be disappointed. Tracks are:

1. Niger's theme

2. Tapscott's Thoughts

3. Swing On A Limb

4. Litle Afrika

"Faith" has him playing in a quintet with Roberta Miranda (bass), Everette Brown Jr. (drums), Melvin Moore (violin) and Louis Spears (cello) recorded August 12 & 13, 1983 in Hollywood. Tracks are:

1, Sketches of Drunken Mary

2. Faith

3. Yesterday's Sunset

4. As A Child

Again it's a fine session and well worth acquiring.

If you don't already know, then many of his early recordings can be purchased here:

Nimbus West Records

Thanks for the info

I have been buying from the NW website for a few years now - even went for the 7LP set a couple of years back

Only Nimbus material I don't have is "The Call" - the LP is OOP; was hoping this would be released on CD but hasn't happened yet

Another interesting item is the CD that comes with the book "The Dark Tree" - it covers Tapscott material from 1969 to 1995

Two other Interplay sessions were also released in Japan last year, namely Faith & Little Afrika - are these new releases from those early 80's sessions or were they previously released (CD or LP) throughout the 80's?

Neither the Lord Discography or the Dark Tree book mention/list these two.

Any Tapscott fans out there care to comment on either of these?

I am fairly sure that these were not available on CD before, but I don't know about LPs.

here is a pretty nice Tapscott site in French with accurate-looking discographies of both Tapscott and the Nimbus West label

http://bjazz.blogspot.com/

found that site a few weeks ago - quite impressive

had never heard of the 1987 Octet Live CD (Japanese Americana - AMC 3002) - is this long OOP? - it's never come up on searches (ebay, amazon, dusty groove, cadence, jazz loft etc)

wonder if the single title (Sketches of Drunken Mary) from the compilation CD "Modern Jazz Piano Forum, Interplay Special , Vol. 1" is the same recording as on the recently released Faith CD.

• 1 year later...

I have been buying from the NW website for a few years now - even went for the 7LP set a couple of years back

Only Nimbus material I don't have is "The Call" - the LP is OOP; was hoping this would be released on CD but hasn't happened yet

Out on CD now!

http://www.nimbuswest.com/

just saw that - will be ordering from Dusty Groove (out of stock at present)

Out on CD now!

http://www.nimbuswest.com/

Good spot! Thanks for the heads-up, colin.

Dusty Groove currently has the Steven Isoardi text "Dark Tree - Jazz & The Community Arts In LA" (California Uni Press/casebound) at a bargain basement price of $6.99

Also includes a CD packed with unreleased Tapscott related music

Great read & worth it just for the disc alone