Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm toying with getting this. It's very cheap, it's an imaginative selection and a look at Amazon reviews for some of the albums brings up a lot of 5-star ratings.

But I'm wondering how great all of these 50 albums really are. Some of them, such as the one by Chick Corea and Bobby McFerrin worry me slightly -- I don't want a box of lifestyle muzak and smooth crossover Classic FM stuff.

There's also Wynton :w

Attractive enough package I'd say, but I've probably got most of those albums I really want (Gould, Fleisher, Rubinstein, Casals, Lenny doing Gershwin, Nuria Rial, Horowitz, Staier, Hahn ... also the Huelgas and Harnoncourt/Mozart discs, both of which I've not listened to yet). A few others are tempting, but not as many as would justify buying this (the Frank Peter Zimmermann Busoni disc I might have to look for though).

51BO%2BGeDeIL._SY450_.jpg

Philippe Entremont: The Complete Piano Concerto Recordings (Sony, 19 CD)

pre-order possible so far @ amazon.co.uk (23 £) or amazon.de (40 €)

Sony Classical celebrates the 80th birthday of French pianist & conductor Philippe Entremont with the first-ever release of his complete concerto recordings in a limited original jacket collection.

So I've been working through this set. For the most part, it is quite nice. I'm not crazy about the mastering on the Bernstein Symphony #2, however. I actually had the chance to see this live yesterday, so wanted to listen to a recording. I find the CD from the Entremont box to be mixed really low, and the version on the Bernstein Symphony box to better on my system.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002P3J3BW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1638&creative=19454&creativeASIN=B002P3J3BW&linkCode=as2&tag=bonsplanscl00-21

From Bon Plans more of an occasion than a deal Horowitz Original Jacket Collection for 99 Euros for 70 CDs

For the Canucks it comes within 155 $, shipping included.

Edited by Van Basten II

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002P3J3BW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1638&creative=19454&creativeASIN=B002P3J3BW&linkCode=as2&tag=bonsplanscl00-21

From Bon Plans more of an occasion than a deal Horowitz Original Jacket Collection for 99 Euros for 70 CDs

For the Canucks it comes within 155 $, shipping included.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. I have the white RCA box from the early '90's, and even I could tell the sound quality was lacking. I also have the blue Columbia Masterworks box from the '90's, so there'll be some duplication; ah well. Question: is there a lot of duplication between this box and the Carnegie Hall box set that Sony released last year?

Hope this isn't one of those Korean jobs that some have complained about recently.

Ordered the Horowitz box. There shouldn't be any overlap between this and the Carnegie Hall box.

Not sure about this. There's the Sony 3-disc set "The Historic Return - Carnegie Hall 1965 - The 1966 Concerts," at the very least, that's probably on both boxes.

Got way too much Horowitz to bother for the big sucker ... and frankly I think I already have more than I really need. The "really need" so far boils down to his Scarlatti, Chopin, Liszt ... and some very, very good Schumann ... I might forget a few things, but I've got some 30+ CDs of this material, Columbia/Sony and RCA heritage - I guess the big sucker combines both, right?

I've seen these two a while back and wanted to ask what people here might think of them:

81lKlXwh0%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Contents listed here:

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/us/cat/4792690

I'm tempted, all I know are the Mozart sonatas and I think they're very good.

And then there's this one:

81D92sjL6UL._SL1500_.jpg

81vumVqpU3L._SL1500_.jpg

I read some rather lukewarm reviews on an ealier box collecting the Mozart concertos, but again, I am tempted!

The DG set is in the 60€ range, the Erato in the 40-45€ so far ... the DG would have to go down a tiny bit in order to spare me from the custom n*zis, but I'm patient ...

Finally, DG seems to start mining their Fricsay treasures, too .... Vol. 1 coming in July - some info here:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ferenc-fricsay-complete-recordings-on-deutsche-grammophon-vol-1-orchestral-works/hnum/5121748

Don't know much of his recordings so far ... but I might be interested in the opera box if they follow up with one! Not sure I need this one, probably have all or most of the concerto recordings with Haskil, Martzy, Menuhin and Morini ... but no symphonic stuff of his at all yet.

• 2 weeks later...