Classical music bargains

Д.Д.

Well, it would be easier if actually I knew what I wanted ;)

Don't want to hear another version of "Scrapple From The Apple", never, never, never, but do want to hear more Charlie Parker, always, always, always. Bird trumps Scrapple. Bird trumps all. So, Blahblaphony, no thanks, Horenstein, yes.

That's how I look at it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess so ... but I don't know my way around classical music quite that well yet, so I don't know whose takes on what I'll always be interested in. That needs lots of time.

Anyway, just got the shipping notice for the Horenstein box (also have his "Lieder von der Erde" on the way, that BBC disc).

I guess so ... but I don't know my way around classical music quite that well yet, so I don't know whose takes on what I'll always be interested in. That needs lots of time.

Anyway, just got the shipping notice for the Horenstein box (also have his "Lieder von der Erde" on the way, that BBC disc).

That Prokofiev 5th was a revelation to me. Not the best played ever, but in my experience that's a very tough work to get right, particularly the first movement (e.g. the relation in terms of tempo and phrasing between the intro and the main theme), and JH nails it. I've heard several other recordings that are fairly close (could they have been Levine's and Leinsdorf's?), plus a lot of others that aren't IMO (Karajan's celebrated but alternately turgid and blatant recording, for one, Szell's eupeptic one for another). In fact, hearing what JH does, I wonder why the work is so darn difficult to get right. It's not a problem of instrumental execution primarily but of understanding what Prokofiev had in mind, and maybe that's it -- P. was in some ways a very off-the-wall cat emotionally, and if JH didn't actually know him (which he well could have), I think he "knew" him anyway.

That sounds intriguing! I've not heard much Prokofiev yet, mostly the violin concertos and some chamber music (sonatas, arrangements/encores) ... don't even have any symphonies I actually went for (No. 1 by Toscanini and Kurtz, and that No. 5 by Szell - picked up in some large coffins or some mish-mash cheapo-sets).

But I love that word "eupeptic" (didn't ever hear it before) - even more so in relation to (often) fake-grave Karajan :)

Listened again to the first movement of the 5th by JH, Levine, and Leinsdorf -- all of JH's, much of the other two. Leinsdorf's didn't make much of an impression this time. Levine's is stunningly played by the CSO, and fittingly dark and brooding (but also with some sense of muscular writhing) in the intro, and the IMO crucial transition is decently negotiated, but JH's version is something else altogether. A brisker tempo (10:52 versus Levine's 12:33) more or less unites the intro and what follows; moreover (and most important), one hears an intertwined and interactive duality (or more) of moods throughout -- say, gaiety and despair, but the musical-dramatic realization of those intertwined moods exceeds my attempt to place verbal labels on them; this is, at least in JH's hands, among the most emotionally mercurial works of the 20th Century. Too bad that the sound is rather murky, but the ear adjusts.

Listened again to the first movement of the 5th by JH, Levine, and Leinsdorf -- all of JH's, much of the other two. Leinsdorf's didn't make much of an impression this time. Levine's is stunningly played by the CSO, and fittingly dark and brooding (but also with some sense of muscular writhing) in the intro, and the IMO crucial transition is decently negotiated, but JH's version is something else altogether. A brisker tempo (10:52 versus Levine's 12:33) more or less unites the intro and what follows; moreover (and most important), one hears an intertwined and interactive duality (or more) of moods throughout -- say, gaiety and despair, but the musical-dramatic realization of those intertwined moods exceeds my attempt to place verbal labels on them; this is, at least in JH's hands, among the most emotionally mercurial works of the 20th Century. Too bad that the sound is rather murky, but the ear adjusts.

So I was already pretty excited about scoring the JH version of the 5th (from Archipel) and Larry has just raised the stakes. I am fairly sure I have the Szell, but will check tonight. I should also have the Ashkenazy, but I haven't listened to it in a long while. I don't believe I have Levine, so I will keep an eye out. I do have Leinsdorf and Ozawa versions, which I was actually working my way through at work. So a lot to choose from.

There needs to be an extensive Horenstein box. Scherchen as well, but that's another topic.

as for Scherchen, there's Tahra ... they have their own website but it's hard to navigate (21 pages of available releases) ... look here:

http://www.musicandarts.com/Tahra.html

here's the website:

http://tahra.com/index.php

I've actually ordered one from Music & Arts that was unavailable everywhere else and it got delivered pretty fast ...

That sounds intriguing! I've not heard much Prokofiev yet, mostly the violin concertos and some chamber music (sonatas, arrangements/encores) ... don't even have any symphonies I actually went for (No. 1 by Toscanini and Kurtz, and that No. 5 by Szell - picked up in some large coffins or some mish-mash cheapo-sets).

But I love that word "eupeptic" (didn't ever hear it before) - even more so in relation to (often) fake-grave Karajan :)

Prokofiev probably deserves a dedicated thread, let's start one.

There needs to be an extensive Horenstein box. Scherchen as well, but that's another topic.

as for Scherchen, there's Tahra ... they have their own website but it's hard to navigate (21 pages of available releases) ... look here:

http://www.musicandarts.com/Tahra.html

here's the website:

http://tahra.com/index.php

I've actually ordered one from Music & Arts that was unavailable everywhere else and it got delivered pretty fast ...

Thanks, I do know about the Tahra site. It's just now I am spoiled by the mega box set packaging, and his would be perfect for one.

Weird ... but then the Ansermet box (which I got a few weeks ago) went to "unavailable" again and then got a later release date (Jan 14, I think) ... guess the same might happen here.

Do you mean you "got" a physical copy, or you got in on the pre-order price? I almost pre-ordered a copy and am kicking myself a bit. On the other hand, sometimes Amazon just cancels pre-orders in these cases where the price and availability change radically. But not always...

I bought one from amazon.it when the price dropped in mid December (paid € 48.43 on Dec. 17 and had it delivered a few days after x-mas).

amazon.it says it will ship in between 10 and 13 days from now ... not sure what that means, but it used to say "not available" unti recently, so I assume it will be back:

http://www.amazon.it/French-Music-Ansermet/dp/B00DT2322E/

prestoclassical has a highter price but has it in stock right now:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4807898

So for those following this set, Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk say it will be back in stock towards the end of Feb. and they are processing orders for the Ansermet again. Pricing seems fairly comparable between the two site, so not really worth cancelling my order and shifting it over. I do wonder if that jerk seller trying to sell it for 300 pounds got any response (or a response fit for publication).

btw:

71wvoSrDjiL._SL1500_.jpg
John Ogdon - The Complete RCA Album Collection (RCA, 6CD)
pre-order on amazon.de is 27 € - just bought the Hammerklavier disc (it adds some of the Nielsen) and might take a pass here, but still, might be interesting (I'm not familiar even by name with much of it) - link: http://www.amazon.de/John-Ogdon--Complete-Album-Collection/dp/B00I4L172C/

81V4oC9RskL._SL1431_.jpg

Henri Dutilleux Edition (DG, 6 CD)
already out in France (43 €):
http://www.amazon.fr/Henri-Dutilleux-Edition-Limited/dp/B00HHYVZLU/
can't find anything on the DG site ... at that price, it's not a real bargain I guess, but should come with some good booklet?

Herbert Blomstedt - San Francisco Years (Decca, 15 CD)
pre-order is 42 € with amazon.de - no cover yet
http://www.amazon.de/Blomstedt-San-Francisco-Years-Ltd-Edt/dp/B00HZ8J4TS/

61GVwNKCI0L._SL1000_.jpg

Great Symphonies - David Zinman/Tonhalle Orchester Zürich (The Zurich Years 1995-2014) (RCA, 50 CD)

pre-order is 93 € at amazon.de - prob. too much of a good thing, but I'm enjoying the Beethoven

http://www.amazon.de/Great-Symphonies-Ludwig-van-Beethoven/dp/B00I0IL3FA/

Edited by king ubu

Toyed with both and decided against. I own recordings of most of the French repertoire and with Debussy and Ravel I don't want to spoil hearing them in concert by over-exposure. Richter, I know much of that repertoire and am not a piano fan. Plus these days it takes me a month to get through two or three CDs. So I'm keeping it real.

Berlioz too - we had Sir Colin's Berlioz, then Gergiev's Berlioz - I need a rest, though I'm itching to hear Les Troyens in concert again.

I guess the Richter would really be too much ... I'll rather add his DG set to my collection, eventually - been eyeing that one for a while.

All the solo piano pieces on the DG set are also included in the Decca 33CD-set. The remaining pieces on the DG set are piano concertos:

• Mozart Concerto No.20 with Stanisław Wislocki/Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

• Prokofiev Concerto No.5 with Witold Rowicki/Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

• Rachmaninov Concerto No.2 with Stanisław Wislocki/Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

• Schumann Concerto with Witold Rowicki/Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

• Tchaikovsky Concerto No.1 with Herbert von Karajan/Vienna Symphonic Orchestra (no, not the Vienna Philharmonic)

• Beethoven Concerto No.3 with Kurt Sanderling/Vienna Symphonic Orchestra

• Beethoven Rondo for Piano and Orchestra with Kurt Sanderling/Vienna Symphonic Orchestra

I've been holding off on boxes for reasons of time, but the DG Strauss Complete Operas proved irresistible after I auditioned it on spotters. It maybe made a difference that I have little Strauss on CD. If you want librettos do not apply! This is a magnificent set. Not quite a 'bargain' by the standard of this thread but most definitely a bargain by any other standard.

I've been holding off on boxes for reasons of time, but the DG Strauss Complete Operas proved irresistible after I auditioned it on spotters. It maybe made a difference that I have little Strauss on CD. If you want librettos do not apply! This is a magnificent set. Not quite a 'bargain' by the standard of this thread but most definitely a bargain by any other standard.

Guess it's easily recommended. I bought the EMI box and after some reading added four of the Böhm ones that are now around in that new box (which I will hence skip, one more Böhm on the shopping list though ... and obviously had to get a few Decca ones, too, most important the Solti "Salome" which is terrific). Will have plenty of Strauss around when I'm ready, but so far I've not played that much of it, mostly just "Salome" really.

I guess the Richter would really be too much ... I'll rather add his DG set to my collection, eventually - been eyeing that one for a while.

All the solo piano pieces on the DG set are also included in the Decca 33CD-set. The remaining pieces on the DG set are piano concertos:

• Mozart Concerto No.20 with Stanisław Wislocki/Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

• Prokofiev Concerto No.5 with Witold Rowicki/Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

• Rachmaninov Concerto No.2 with Stanisław Wislocki/Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

• Tchaikovsky Concerto No.1 with Herbert von Karajan/Vienna Symphonic Orchestra (no, not the Vienna Philharmonic)

• Beethoven Rondo for Piano and Orchestra with Kurt Sanderling/Vienna Symphonic Orchestra

Thanks! I wasn't aware the solo material was duplicated between the DG and the Decca box ... so the Decca box is actually a Universal box ...

one more coming up shortly:

51BO%2BGeDeIL._SY450_.jpg

Philippe Entremont: The Complete Piano Concerto Recordings (Sony, 19 CD)

pre-order possible so far @ amazon.co.uk (23 £) or amazon.de (40 €)

Sony Classical celebrates the 80th birthday of French pianist & conductor Philippe Entremont with the first-ever release of his complete concerto recordings in a limited original jacket collection.

About Philippe Entremont: The Complete Piano Concerto Recordings

In 1958 Entremont’s debut concerto recordings for Columbia Masterworks of the Grieg A minor and Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini helped put the 23-year-old pianist on the international map. Generations of American music lovers grew up with the Entremont/Ormandy Rachmaninoff 1st and 4th, Saint-Saëns 2nd and 4th, Ravel G major, Liszt 1st and 2nd Concertos and Falla’s Nights in the Gardens of Spain, plus the pianist’s highly regarded collaborations with Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic in the Tchaikovsky 1st, Rachmaninoff 2nd, and Bartók’s 2nd and 3rd Concertos.

We are pleased to make available Entremont’s Khachaturian Concerto and Liszt Hungarian Fantasia with Seiji Ozawa leading the New Philharmonia Orchestra, and a complete survey of Saint-Saëns’ works for piano and orchestra with L’Orchestre du Capitole de Toulouse under Michel Plasson.

Born in Reims on June 7, 1934, Entremont studied at first with his musician parents (his mother was a pianist, his father a conductor), and then with Marguerite Long. As a teenager at the Paris Conservatoire, Entremont won many prizes, and, at sixteen, became a Laureate at the International Long/Thibaud Competition. The following year he began his major career, starting with a top prize in the Brussels Queen Elisabeth Competition, and subsequent tours through Europe, the United States and South America.

He made his conducting debut on disc in 1968 directing the Collegium Musicum of Paris from the piano in Mozart’s Concertos Nos. 13 and 17, increasing his podium profile in later life as music director of the New Orleans Symphony (1980–86), principal conductor (1986–88) and music director (1988–89) of the Denver Symphony. He currently serves as Principal Guest Conductor for the Shanghai Broadcasting Symphony Orchestra and is Conductor Laureate of the Vienna Chamber Orchestra and the Israel Chamber Orchestra.

Set contents:

Grieg: Concerto In A minor For Piano and Orchestra, Op. 16

Rachmaninov: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 43

Liszt: Concerto No. 1 For Piano and Orchestra, S. 124, R. 458 in E-flat Major

Liszt: Concerto No. 2 For Piano And Orchestra, S. 120, R. 456 in A Major

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2 In C minor, Op. 18

Tchaikovsky: Concerto No. 1 In B-flat minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 23

Rachmaninov: Concerto No. 1 in F-Sharp Minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 1

Rachmaninov: Concerto No. 4 in G Minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 40

Ravel: Concerto in G Major for Piano and Orchestra

Ravel: Piano Concerto for the Left Hand in D Major

Falla: Noches en los jardines de España

Saint-Saens: Concerto No. 2 in G minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 22

Saint-Saens: Concerto No. 4 in C minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 44

Gershwin: Concerto in F for Piano and Orchestra

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue (Complete version)

Stravinsky: Capriccio for Piano and Orchestra (Revised 1949 Version)

Stravinsky: Concerto for Piano and Wind Instruments (Revised version, 1950)

Mozart: Concerto No. 13 in C Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 415

Mozart: Concerto No. 17 in G Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 453

Bartók: Concerto No. 2 for Piano and Orchestra

Bartók: Concerto No. 3 for Piano and Orchestra

Jolivet: Concerto for Piano and Orchestra

Milhaud: Concerto No. 1 for Piano and Orchestra

Khatchaturian: Piano Concerto

Ravel: Piano Concerto for the Left Hand

Saint-Saens: Concerto No. 1 in D Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 17

Saint-Saens: Concerto No. 5 in F Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 103

Saint-Saens: Concerto No. 2 in G minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 22

Saint-Saens: Concerto No. 4 in C minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 44

Saint-Saens: Concerto No. 3 for Piano and Orchestra in E-Flat Major, Op. 29

Thanks! I wasn't aware the solo material was duplicated between the DG and the Decca box ... so the Decca box is actually a Universal box ...

All Decca boxes are Universal boxes nowadays. But yes, it's a collection of Richter's solo recordings that were previously issued on DG and Philips, if that is what you meant.

Edited by J.A.W.

Yes, that's just what I meant - thought it was actual Decca material, not Philips, but that's obviously wrong (I've not heard much Richter besides the EMI material).

Nope, it was Philips that released those Richter solo recordings, but since the demise of Philips their recordings are reissued on Decca by Universal. Here's one of the Philips Richter sets, released in 1995:

41T3WRM60HL.jpg

Edited by J.A.W.