Mingus on Candid (especially with Ted Curson)

Rooster_Ties

The first copy of Mingus Presents Mingus I ever bought was a late 1970's French America pressing, and even then I wondered about the sound. I was pretty much disappointed when I got me a Candid reissue a few years ago. Sounds muffled, like most of the treble range filtered to remove tape hiss. How does this session sound on the Mosaic?

Edited by mikeweil

Maybe it'll click for me someday? It's never been a favorite amongst the Mingus or Dolphy canon.

I do like some of the other stuff on the Candid Dolphy CD.

It could be because of what we have been discussing, that the current CD issue of "Mingus Presents Mingus" is in very poor quality sound.

Try to get hold of the "Mingus" CD which contains "Stormy Weather" from the same session but in much better quality sound.

Maybe it'll click for me someday? It's never been a favorite amongst the Mingus or Dolphy canon.

I do like some of the other stuff on the Candid Dolphy CD.

Sorry, I now see you have "Candid Dolphy" which also contains "Stormy Weather"

The first copy of Mingus Presents Mingus I ever bought was a late 1970's French America pressing, and even then I wondered about the sound. I was pretty much disappointed when I got me a Candid reissue a few years ago. Sounds muffled, like most of the treble range filtered to remove tape hiss. How does this session sound on the Mosaic?

The original stereo master for Mingus Presents Mingus was lost at some point. Mosaic used the mono masters since the remaining stereo copies were not good.

The original stereo master for Mingus Presents Mingus was lost at some point. Mosaic used the mono masters since the remaining stereo copies were not good.

I've just had a listen to parts of the Mosaic mono Mingus Presents & The Candid Stereo version

The mono version is superior as the stereo version has a marked amount of audible tape hiss but doesn't sound muffled (maybe the filtering as described above has been removed)

Interestingly though the first 10 seconds of Mingus speak preceding "Original Faubus Fables" has been omitted from the Candid set

BTW I bought my Candid stereo version in 2000 (24bit digitally remastered) - this is definitely stereo (looked at the sound file via Audacity)

As far as I am aware there were only two Candid releases remastered in this way (in 2000) - look at the bottom of the rear slick & you will find "Digitally remastered at Grace Note by Mark Tomase using IDR & DINR on July 7, 2000"

The other was Booker Little's "Out Front" (similarly but done on April 10, 2000)

I've never seen another Candid CD with this remastering info (but I may be wrong here - was hoping that this would happen to the whole catalogue so I followed Candid releases closely for the next few years but alas there were no more)

Edited by romualdo

This amazon review implies that the new PD set does provide better sound quality on "Presents"

Amazon Review

That butchering of the English language does very little to convince me.

The person who wrote the review is listed as being from Argentina. English might not be his native language.

Then don't try this at home, as they say. I'm fairly fluent in Spanish, yet I do not pretend to properly communicate in it. Know thy limits.

don't feel like discussing it, but statements like this one always make me angry, it's not "your" language anymore, and after all that brings loads of advantages to you guys... just don't read it if it hurts you so much

don't feel like discussing it, but statements like this one always make me angry, it's not "your" language anymore, and after all that brings loads of advantages to you guys... just don't read it if it hurts you so much

I agree Niko, English belongs to the world as a global means of communication and, as a native speaker, it certainly benefits me in my travels. This is obviously not a fact appreciated by everyone.

I believe that everyone should endeavor to learn as many languages as possible. I do not believe that the internet is the proper forum to practice or use them prior to understanding them fully.

Let's not get our knickers in a twist. I was merely stating that I was having trouble getting a read on what the Amazon reviewer was trying to say. Period.

What makes ME angry is the lack of regard that we, as a global society, now seem to have for the art of language. Blame it on technology, texting, Facebook or whatever you want. As a father of two teenagers, this is naturally a concern of mine. My kids (and yours) are nowhere if they cannot communicate.

Back to Mingus.

I believe that everyone should endeavor to learn as many languages as possible. I do not believe that the internet is the proper forum to practice or use them prior to understanding them fully.

Let's not get our knickers in a twist. I was merely stating that I was having trouble getting a read on what the Amazon reviewer was trying to say. Period.

What makes ME angry is the lack of regard that we, as a global society, now seem to have for the art of language. Blame it on technology, texting, Facebook or whatever you want. As a father of two teenagers, this is naturally a concern of mine. My kids (and yours) are nowhere if they cannot communicate.

Back to Mingus.

Bad English is one of the most important languages in the world today, for instance it's the language of many scientists... of course, this means you have to see lots of Bad English around you, but - as the others have pointed out above - this is a relatively small price to pay compared to, e.g, someone from China who has to learn it from scratch in order to communicate... and believe me, it sucks to communicate half the time (and do almost all of your writing) in a language you will never really master... yes, the amazon report is not easy to read, but for me it's still easier to read than Spanish...

and sorry for having gotten angry, I was in a bad mood anyway... Back to Mingus