NFL Football 2011

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard distressing news today that the ny giants targetted kick returner kyle williams because he had had 4 previous concussions and would be easy to knock out of the game.

Too bad they didn't knock him out in the first quarter (or better yet, a pre-game mishap of some sort). ^_^ (jk of course, but man that guy was a disaster, all day. Two fumbles, a muff, and an ill-advised diving catch on another punt).

No Super Bowl chat tonight? It was an exciting finish. Giants deny Pats once again.

My favorite moment was the guy trying to NOT score that last Giants touchdown. Kind of just sat down.

Madonna's halftime show? Not so much for me.

Yeah, I'm still recovering from the halftime show myself. Someone needs to tell Madonna that's she's 53 years old, not 23 and that she's not doing herself any favors by trying to pretend otherwise. I'm thinking an album of jazz standards might be just what the doctor ordered. One other observation...Cee Lo Green may have the best set of teeth God ever granted to a human being. I'm in awe.

With respect the the game itself. Boring and pedestrian for the first three quarters, off the charts interesting for the fourth.

One other observation...Cee Lo Green may have the best set of teeth God ever granted to a human being. I'm in awe.

He appears to use them at every meal, too. Dude could stand to skip a couple every once in a while.

With respect the the game itself. Boring and pedestrian for the first three quarters, off the charts interesting for the fourth.

Off the charts infuriating for the fourth.

One other observation...Cee Lo Green may have the best set of teeth God ever granted to a human being. I'm in awe.

He appears to use them at every meal, too. Dude could stand to skip a couple every once in a while.

Off the charts infuriating for the fourth.

Interesting all the way through for me, especially in the fourth. Why did the fourth infuriate you, Dan?

P.S. Marvin Lewis on ESPN had a very interesting postgame take on the Patriots change in defensive strategy in the fourth (from three rush lineman to four), which may have doomed them, though it also may have been a case of flip a coin.

Because of the outcome? Because of the slow inevitability of the Giants' comeback? Because I knew it was going to happen?

For a brief moment I thought the Pats would score, and keep scoring. When they didn't, and it became a matter of stopping the Giants when it counted, I knew it was a lost cause.

And it was.

That's why the fourth quarter was f-ing infuriating.

For a brief moment I thought the Pats would score, and keep scoring. When they didn't, and it became a matter of stopping the Giants when it counted, I knew it was a lost cause.

I called it when the Pats got called for offsides on that failed 3rd-and-7 play by the Giants. If I had a dollar for everytime I've seen a scenario like that (failed third down conversion attempt when pinned back fairly deep rescued by a defensive penalty) result in points being scored by the team that got the second chance, I could go out to a pretty nice dinner for two.

Because of the outcome? Because of the slow inevitability of the Giants' comeback? Because I knew it was going to happen?

And it was.

That's why the fourth quarter was f-ing infuriating.

Inevitability? If Brady and Welker hook up on that long pass with about four minutes to go (a play on which the Giants had blown the coverage), then the game almost certainly would have been over with the Patriots winning. Welker, as Chris Collingsworth said, normally catches that ball, but I put the onus on Brady for turning what should have an easy completion into a fairly difficult one.

I still don't buy Belichek's "let them score" strategy (if that's what it was). When was the last time you saw two teams deliberately trying not to score? WTF? Strikes me as unsportsmanlike, but coming from Belichek, that's not too surprising.

I'm pretty sure the Packers did that at one point back in the 90's. I remember hearing an interview with Holmgren where he said he instructed his defense to let the other team hurry up and score so they would get the ball back with enough time to make a drive of their own.

I knew the game was over as soon as Welker missed that catch, I looked at my friend and said "that's the play that loses the game",

It was surprising to see the Pats receivers drop so many passes. Some of the throws weren't quite on target, but still very catchable IMO. You've got to make those big league plays in the big games, you're not going to get many opportunities.

And "Mrs. Brady" needs to STFU. Don't be publicly calling out hubby's colleagues. :lol:

Gronkowski should not have been playing. I doubt it took too long for the Giants defensive people to figure out he was running at about 50%. That opens up some things you wouldn't normally be able to do on the other side of the ball. Combine that with the fact that his counterpart, Aaron Hernandez, seemed to be fighting a bad case of alligator arms and you've just about cut the Patriots offensive options in two.

• 3 weeks later...

ochocinco in the news

ochocinco in the news

Chad Ochocinco was trying to have a normal Saturday night. He went out to a party with his reality star wife and Darrelle Revis, dressed in a custom suit and Louboutins just in case he had to go straight to a 7 a.m. church service and then -- bam! -- he gets micturated on by a lion.

You read this

The New England Patriots receiver was at a charity event in Miami on Saturday night when he ran into the caged animal. According to Ochocinco's Twitter account, the king of the jungle proceeded to become the urine sprayer at the party.

The initial tweet:

"Swear to lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus* I just got peed on by a real "Lion" I'm not lying either. And y'all wonder why I don't go out!!!!!"

ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting that the Colts will officially cut ties with Peyton Manning tomorrow. Apparently both Jim Irsay, the Colts owner, and Manning himself will be at the press conference. Now that he's officially in play, that will make the machinations leading up to the NFL draft even more interesting.

Edited by Dave James