The Sound of Feeling

Teasing the Korean

Were they the group with two female singers trying to be a little jazzier than Brasil '66 on Limelight?

If so, I made a tape of one track of theirs, The Sound of Silence, but I guess I was bored by the rest of the album. If not, I'll delete this post, lest some get confused.

PS - As I recall, the two women singers of the group I am thinking of were twins.

Edited by GA Russell

Ah, yes, the Andrece twins, Alyce and Rhae.

Much of the following is almost uniquely insane. Try "Waltz Without Words" and proceed at your own risk:

http://www.amazon.com/Up-Into-Silence-Sound-Feeling/dp/B000YNEEHI

Both Alyce and Rhae (b. 1936 in Thornton, Il.) are gone now, as is Feather, so I am free to imagine Leonard boinking the twins amid a cacophony of soprano noises.

Feather introduces a Hipp performance at the Hickory House in 1956:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N73mSOprRxk

She could play.

She sure as hell could. Very nice ideas, touch, and especially time feel. I'd like to hear more. I knew her as an organist but never heard her until just now. Thanks. Let's hear some Jane Getz now, another genuine and huge talent.

'Little lady', huh? What a f-ing jerk. The woman players I came up with in the '70s and '80s had it bad enough. And every one I knew carried her musical weight and then some. Before that, God only knows and the mind truly boggles....

For those who can read German, I believe that Hipp discusses her relationship with Feather here:

http://www.vonschuttenbach.com/articles/Jutta_Hipp_Jazz_Podium_July_2006_new.pdf

I hope that Ms. Hipp found more happiness in her life than the stories tell.

And a pox on slick Len's spirit.

Indeed. I read it and it's a sad story. To me Feather is twice the bastard for trying to pluck her from Atilla Zoller, my much missed friend and one of the greatest guys in or out of jazz. I salute Ms. Hipp's integrity for getting out and preferring an honest life as a seamstress over the carnival life and its many wolves. To be candid it often makes me sick to my stomach. And I'm a man.

Much of the following is almost uniquely insane. Try "Waltz Without Words" and proceed at your own risk:

Wow. Waltz Without Words. Quoting my buddy Ed Petersen (when he was subjected to listening to student jazz vocalists attempting to scat and improvise), "One. Just sing one pitch that I can actually name..."

I remember Jane Getz from P. Sanders' ESP album. She sounded very nice there -- a genuine lyricist, somewhat akin to Don Friedman.

I met Zoller through Dan Morgenstern, my then boss at Down Beat, in 1969 or so. Seemed like a terrific guy; no need to say he was a fine player.

Yes a great guy and quite underrated as a player. He was a freedom fighter too.

A quick story (out of hundreds, especially among we guitarists): Atilla and Jimmy Raney were very tight. Jimmy stayed at his place when in town. That's when I got to know Jimmy a bit, ca. 1979-80. Cut to 1995 and Jimmy's memorial at St. Peter's. One of the highlights was this beautiful solo guitar elegy Atilla played. It moved me because I loved both those guys, and every time I'd see Atilla after that I'd tell him how much I loved that elegy.

And he would say every time---eyes incredulous and with thick accent:

'Elegy? Vot ees thees fucking elegy?'

Wow. Waltz Without Words. Quoting my buddy Ed Petersen (when he was subjected to listening to student jazz vocalists attempting to scat and improvise), "One. Just sing one pitch that I can actually name..."

That sounds more like The Sound Of Being Felt (By Surprise).