recommendations for clubs in paris?

etherbored

If you like trad jazz, Le Petit Journal Saint-Michel is the place:

http://claude.philips.pagesperso-orange.fr/

You may be lucky to attend a terrific stride piano concert by the great master Louis Mazetier.

BTW, try to get a table near the piano!

Second place for older jazz styles is Caveau de la Huchette:

http://www.caveaudelahuchette.fr/1571/index.html

Nice spot!

I caught a wonderful performance of Claude Tissendier's Big Band a few years ago!

Edited by EKE BBB

Le Baiser Sale right next door to Sunside/Sunset; also, for more 'out' stuff, check Les Instants Chavires. Depending on when you're going, the great Jazz A La Villette festival may still be on. I played there on Thursday, and just got back: there's some great stuff coming up, and the venue - Parc de La Villette - is absolutely spectacular.

I'll add another recommendation for Caveau de la Huchette. Was there several years ago and had a blast. A saxophone quarter played... and people danced. Way cool atmosphere.

I went t to the Caveau de la Huchette 10 years ago and had a similar experience--people danced! I was rather amazed; hardly ever see that at US jazz clubs. A fun atmosphere. Of course, the music was mostly swing to bop, nothing adventurous or cutting edge. I also recall some musicians from the audience getting up on stage and joining in for a song or two.

• 3 weeks later...