Graham Collier has died

Christiern

Very sad.

I've been on a Collier binge over the last few weeks. A very distinct voice who rarely seemed to get the attention of other excellent UK modernist writer/arrangers.

He's best known for his 60s/70s work but there are some excellent recordings from recent years.

maybe even via this board but for the last few years the BGO comps have had regular spins. Simply great music

There's another BGO twofer compilation coming up - 'Symphony of Scorpions' plus the Malcolm Lowry tribute I think.

Sadly, this happens just as Graham's music was getting some deservedly greater exposure and with much of his earlier catalogue now being reissued. A composer/arranger in the Mingus tradition from the start - and for sure one of the very best that Europe has produced.

First became aware of his music via an obscure educational LP borrowed from school back in the 70s ! - also a good overview of his work in Ian Carr's 'Music Outside'. Took some effort to find a copy of the LP, decades later.

Just posted this news in the Artists section before I realised this thread had started in the Miscellaneous section. I only just heard about this and am truly gutted. Graham was one of my all-time heroes of jazz. 'Songs For My Father' is one of the albums that helped fire my interest in jazz and for that I am truly indebted to Graham. Am playing it now. RIP Graham.

This is terrible news.

Even several days later the news still leaves me totally shocked. Especially so as he was still very much active on the music front and very active on his blog and publishing endevours. It has certainly left a palpable gap on the 'scene' over here, in the same way that Harry Beckett's passing did.

I interviewed him earlier this year and it was quite interesting - I wrote a short article on him for the NYC Jazz Record and had hoped to have the full transcript up this summer with his blessing. Time got away from me and now he's gone. I'm not sure whether to go ahead and try to publish the text or not.